breeeze

Advice on high end-ish laptop

13 posts in this topic

A friend asked for some advice for a new laptop and before blindly recommending something when I'm really not an expert I thought I'd ask here.

Requirements:

She has a 2009 MB Pro, the new one should be in a similar "ultrabook" format, light, small, good quality materials with a 15" screen. It's gonna be used as the main work horse doing design work (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Muse etc.), so it should bring a decent CPU and I believe dedicated graphics is highly appreciated, also a good IPS (duh) screen. I thought about an XPS 15, but it does seem like quite an expense, so maybe there are alternatives or just straight up better products I don't know about. 1500€ is the limit.

MSI GE62VR or if you need something slim, the stealth.

EDIT: with 1500€ you shuold be able to get a laptop with a 6700/7700HQ with a 1060 with a decent ssd/hdd.

Asus makes some good stuff.  They have a ton of options that are pretty thin and light, and the build quality has impressed me (currently using an Asus Q550L (I think)).

Not sure what the prices are in EU but did a quick check on a website and it seems that the GE62 VR is out of the price range.

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90682619/asus-rog-gl502vm-fy292.asp

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90682625/asus-rog-gl702vm-gc234.asp

Don't really know where to check for best prices over in EU so I can't say much more than this.

May have to go for a model with a 1050Ti if dedicated graphics and more ram are needed.

Something with an i7, a large amount of ram, and a dedicated GPU of some sort would be what you're looking for. The actual specifics shouldn't matter too much unless you want to run some demanding games on it too.

13 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

Not sure what the prices are in EU but did a quick check on a website and it seems that the GE62 VR is out of the price range.

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90682619/asus-rog-gl502vm-fy292.asp

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90682625/asus-rog-gl702vm-gc234.asp

Don't really know where to check for best prices over in EU so I can't say much more than this.

May have to go for a model with a 1050Ti if dedicated graphics and more ram are needed.

I think you can do better than a 1050Ti. If it does come to that. I recommend this laptop, http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/fncwf512s while buying an SSD and 8 gb of RAM for it and installing it yourself. Super easy. I believe the SSD will have to fit a M.2 slot (super easy to do still).

4 hours ago, snowdude21325 said:

I think you can do better than a 1050Ti. If it does come to that. I recommend this laptop, http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/fncwf512s while buying an SSD and 8 gb of RAM for it and installing it yourself. Super easy. I believe the SSD will have to fit a M.2 slot (super easy to do still).

It's weird because the base model is supposed to come with 16GB of RAM.

Mmh, the MSI looks interesting spec wise, but I wouldn't be surprised if those extra 600g would already be enough to disqualify it for her (she's already complaining about her 2.5kg MB Pro, the MSI is 2.4kg, XPS 1.8kg). She's very much looking for something that can come close to the new MB Pro in terms of size and weight.

GTX 1050 should be plenty though, this is not a gaming machine, it will be used for design work.

I have the XPS 15 and I can do nothing but praise it. Yes, it is probably among the more expensive laptops. But dell has put careful thought into it's design, and the aesthetics are amazing.

As far as battery life: when I was bored and in the train to France (from Amsterdam), it lasted me the entire way there watching movies (2-3hrs?).
Performance is absolutely superb. Granted, it's still a laptop so it's not a high end machine. But for a laptop that doesn't weigh a couple of bricks (looking at MSI "gaming" laptops)..it's more than adequate. 

If she decides to purchase an XPS, I would recommend against getting the 4k touchscreen version.  Also as a note in advance..while the laptop is great, Dell is not. If you assume you'll have to contact their customer support at any time, don't even bother. Because depending on your country of residence, their support is terrible.

8 hours ago, breeeze said:

Mmh, the MSI looks interesting spec wise, but I wouldn't be surprised if those extra 600g would already be enough to disqualify it for her (she's already complaining about her 2.5kg MB Pro, the MSI is 2.4kg, XPS 1.8kg). She's very much looking for something that can come close to the new MB Pro in terms of size and weight.

GTX 1050 should be plenty though, this is not a gaming machine, it will be used for design work.

I'm just gonna say, good luck finding anything with power to have no weight. I took a quick look at the XPS15 and it cuts a lot of corners.
MSI stealth/stealth pros are always an option. The Leopard is also lighter but build quality is lackluster compared to the apache variants so I can't recommend it. However, I would mention that it has all the power she would need at 2.1kg.

Also I am confused how she is complaining about 2.5kg MB. Does she carry it in a fucking purse?

Honestly, I carry my MSI GE 62VR Apache Pro in my backpack and honestly can't tell it's there.