Luna

Ranked Battles Discussion

276 posts in this topic

Did the stealth change the time frame ranked ate active? Last 3 weeks in week days start was 21:00 for me. This week is probably 20:00 or earlier.

First week was from 20-24 CEST, after that it was changed to 18-24 CEST... and you are more than safe saphros.

Im wondering if and what changes will come next season, because I dont see ranked surviving long like this. From how XP works, how chevrons are earned, how the leaderboard works, the rewards, etc... just too much that is wrong.

28 minutes ago, Epic said:

First week was from 20-24 CEST, after that it was changed to 18-24 CEST... and you are more than safe saphros.

Im wondering if and what changes will come next season, because I dont see ranked surviving long like this. From how XP works, how chevrons are earned, how the leaderboard works, the rewards, etc... just too much that is wrong.

But, but I remember logging in before 21:00 in previous weeks and ranked was grayed out. 19:00 was at weekends. Haha oh well I lost a lot if hours of gameplay. I hope 30 points are enough for league one  if the don't cut players again.

About next season. If there is any, ranked pretty much killed teamplay. Very few will now sit and play SHs or CWs. Idk how they can mske them coexist. 

34 minutes ago, kariverson said:

About next season. If there is any, ranked pretty much killed teamplay. Very few will now sit and play SHs or CWs. Idk how they can mske them coexist. 

Yup, I pulled the plug out of BRAH just in time to not get annoyed by people not willing to play advances... Think 30 points is cutting it close, hope you have a 60%+ RBE.

1 hour ago, Epic said:

Yup, I pulled the plug out of BRAH just in time to not get annoyed by people not willing to play advances... Think 30 points is cutting it close, hope you have a 60%+ RBE.

I'm at 60% exactly xD But I have 29 points already. I think I can get 3-4 more until the end of the week. I always forget how many points I have, I thought I was at 26-27 or something. I'm happy I didn't give up because of the cutoffs dropping me in league 3 all the time and I had to climb back to league 1 every week. Atleast this time it won't happen. 

Arty in ranked needs to be limited to 1, every game with 3 arta is unbearable. 

Today I played a Maus for the first time in ranked. Only good superheavy I have. I got 2 ranks with it just today. Took like 3 hours. Now I get why so many bads make it to rank 5 with them. The HP/DPM combo lets you do tons of damage in a loss and that puts you top 3 very regularly.

I still find the turret annoyingly butter vs HEAT and never had any problems playing against it to be honest. Although I'm mostly playing meds so I don't have to fight it head on.

And as usual, actually arties are more of a nuisance in meds than in the Maus. 

Just out of curiosity, can you guys tell me how many player got the top rank on the EU server?

2 hours ago, TAdoo87 said:

Just out of curiosity, can you guys tell me how many player got the top rank on the EU server?

The funniest thing is that even the few top streamers i watch, didn't have the commitment for league 1 in ranked... :fat:

I'm so happy that ranked is over.. I ened up doing what i said which is basically reach rank 4 each week for credit bonus but once that was done i was 2 points away from league so i decided to stick with it.. Took me 8-9 games to reach rank 5. And then 20-30 to get a star on a tank... No joke.. 

I tried the 907 first then E50M then i tried the Maus. I was at 4 chevron with the Maus. Got ~2k damage in the 5 chevron game, I was dead an my team is on cap. There is no way we can win if we don't cap. Cap goes to 99% and gets reset.... :frenchy: Went on to lose 3 more chevron after that and switch back to the 907 and basically redline my way to the star... This game mode is stupid. And arty is no longer cancer. It is fucking ebola.. 3 arty EACH AND EVERY GAME.

If nothing DRASTIC is done to the gamemode i won't even start it. I really don't get triggered usually but this gamemode made me completely histerical to a point that i hadn't seen before and didn't know was possible on any game.

42 minutes ago, DHP said:

The funniest thing is that even the few top streamers i watch, didn't have the commitment for league 1 in ranked... :fat:

Ranked battle is basically ranked ghetto, has been, and with some luck will be.

6 hours ago, DHP said:

I'm so happy that ranked is over.. I ened up doing what i said which is basically reach rank 4 each week for credit bonus but once that was done i was 2 points away from league so i decided to stick with it.. Took me 8-9 games to reach rank 5. And then 20-30 to get a star on a tank... No joke.. 

I tried the 907 first then E50M then i tried the Maus. I was at 4 chevron with the Maus. Got ~2k damage in the 5 chevron game, I was dead an my team is on cap. There is no way we can win if we don't cap. Cap goes to 99% and gets reset.... :frenchy: Went on to lose 3 more chevron after that and switch back to the 907 and basically redline my way to the star... This game mode is stupid. And arty is no longer cancer. It is fucking ebola.. 3 arty EACH AND EVERY GAME.

If nothing DRASTIC is done to the gamemode i won't even start it. I really don't get triggered usually but this gamemode made me completely histerical to a point that i hadn't seen before and didn't know was possible on any game.

Ironically, the chevron punishment system costs WG money, because people camp, not so much to get chevrons but to avoid punishment, which prolongs games, which means fewer games, which means fewer consumables purchased. (I get the impression arty has a similar dampening effect on aggressive gameplay.)

If aggressive play were rewarded instead, we'd see quicker battles, which is money in the bank for WG. Unless there's something making longer, campy games more profitable for WG, I don't get why they haven't figured that out yet and done something about it.

We musn't have played the same gamemode. I have never seen this much gold getting thrown around. 

Made it place 580. With about 2-3 hours gameplay per day. Overall it's actually tons more fun than randoms. Feels like tier 10 fastbois. I've never experienced much camping except the dreaded Strvs and the oddball retard in a bat. Arties can be annoying but I'll take 3 of the current arties over 1 of the previous ones. Rechargable consumables help with that. Chevrons come easier in superheavies and arties than meds, I felt like but not by much. TDs are trash. If it needs adjustments I can't think of any hat would actually make it better really. Now where to spend those bonds. STB1, 907? Something else? 

@kariverson My experience couldn't have been more different. It's basically a game mode that takes everything that's wrong with randoms and amplifies it. Full T10, terrible map rotation, unbalanced teams, broken tanks, premium spam, 3 artillery/game and XVM focus. As if all this wasn't cancerous enough you're often stuck with shitters that don't give the slightest fuck about winning because someone though rewarding the "best losers" was a good idea. Grinding to League 1 was as fun as masturbating with a cheese grater.

But hey... to each his own. :kappa:

1 minute ago, Sapros said:

@kariverson My experience couldn't have been more different. It's basically a game mode that takes everything that's wrong with randoms and amplifies it. Full T10, terrible map rotation, unbalanced teams, broken tanks, premium spam, 3 artillery/game and XVM focus. As if all this wasn't cancerous you're often stuck with shitters that don't give the slightest fuck about winning because someone though rewarding the "best losers" was a smart idea. Grinding to League 1 was as fun as masturbating with a cheese grater.

But hey... to each his own. :kappa:

To be fair what I described was mostly after the rank 5 each week. Where teams were pretty much full blue with some purple and some random greens. Reaching the rank 5 each week was quite frustrating with the amount of yellow and oranges with 0 awareness. Atleast after that you don't sit there banging your head on your desk wondering "what are you even looking at" like most randoms.
Pretty much what you said, each to his own.
Because I feel like teams are way more balanced than randoms because people don't do stupid mistakes often that will lead to snowballing.
Except the POS Fjords pretty much all the maps were alright. Rotation seemed linear like for this half hour is sand river and the next half hour himmels etc. 
Tier 10 is the second most balanced tier after t9 I think. There aren't really any blatantly broken tanks like t8. Batchats are still one of the most annoying tank to play against. Strv is becoming annoying too. But most don't mind these and they hate mauses which feelf like a pinata for me.
I never cared about gold spam in a med 90% of the penetrating shots with gold would pen with standard anyway and I can do it too! :D Imagine Mauses and Type 5s without prem spam lol, literally impenetrable.
Arties are less annoying than before and I can't experience xvm focus on ranked because I'm blue for life :( 
Very few in my experience play to be top 3 losers after rank 5. They understand is not as easy as it seems and they prefer to try to win which is much much easier chevron. BTW what I've noticed it works is communicating in chat! Holy shit yeah the useless chat is not so useless anymore. Say nothing and the team is split 3 ways. Say "lets everyone rush b" and you get 10-12 people pushing the side!

BTW RIP organised teamplay. Did any clan play CWs (whatever is left of that dead mode) and SHs during that past month?!

These are my thoughts more detailed about the different aspect of ranked battles. 

Final thoughts, after putting in sufficient effort to reach League 1 and top 100 for NA.

• 3 arty per side is the actual dictionary definition of ebola and cancer together.  Because the meta turned out to be significantly campier than pubs, arty did an even worse than usual job of punishing people who tried to light things and make aggressive plays, as opposed to punishing campers and snipers.  This was particularly problematic because...
  • Chevrons were too easy to lose.  I like the idea of losing chevrons in principle, because it means that rank isn't monotonically increasing and so you can't just bot your way to Rank 5 (although you could, but more on that later). However, the "bottom" 12 on the losing team losing a chevron really really sucked because (1) with so much arty, arty was often among the leading damage dealers on losing teams and sucked up the "top 3" chevron gains, and (2) it meant that people played SUPER passively and campy, because the downside risk of an aggressive play that didn't work out was basically a guaranteed chevron loss.  This was then coupled with...
  • Chevrons were too easy to gain.  The top 12 getting a chevron went well beyond rewarding actual good aggressive competent gameplay, and mostly awarded people who happened to be on the winning team.

In the future, I would rather see something like top 7 on the winning team get a chevron, bottom 8 get nothing, and then top 3 on the losing team get a chevron, middle 5 on the losing team get nothing, bottom 7 on the losing team lose a chevron.  This still significantly punishes losing, while reserving chevron advancement for really good play, and doesn't punish attempted aggressive play that your team doesn't adequately support and thus doesn't end up winning.

Thoughts from others who suffered through this mode for one piece of shitty improved equipment?

3 hours ago, _Juris said:

In the future, I would rather see something like top 7 on the winning team get a chevron, bottom 8 get nothing, and then top 3 on the losing team get a chevron, middle 5 on the losing team get nothing, bottom 7 on the losing team lose a chevron.  This still significantly punishes losing, while reserving chevron advancement for really good play, and doesn't punish attempted aggressive play that your team doesn't adequately support and thus doesn't end up winning.

It's definitely not a bad idea but personally I feel like it would make me camp more. I'm very aggressive at ranked I like to spot people early and force them to lose key positions and some times team is not feeling as aggressive as me and I find myself screwed and many times I'm not top 7. It would cause me so in extension more people to be more campy. That's why I said that I find hard to see a good change on the mode that will fix gameplay a bit and be more fair.
I didn't notice much campiness in EU, usually it's pick a side and all go there. Although there is always the odd game. 

2 hours ago, kariverson said:

It's definitely not a bad idea but personally I feel like it would make me camp more. I'm very aggressive at ranked I like to spot people early and force them to lose key positions and some times team is not feeling as aggressive as me and I find myself screwed and many times I'm not top 7. It would cause me so in extension more people to be more campy. That's why I said that I find hard to see a good change on the mode that will fix gameplay a bit and be more fair.
I didn't notice much campiness in EU, usually it's pick a side and all go there. Although there is always the odd game. 

That's the whole point of the proposed change, though.  Right now the downside risk of the early aggression is actually losing a chevron.  The proposed change would make actually losing one less likely, unless you literally YOLO.  And on the winning side, you don't lose a chevron if you're not top 7, you just don't gain one, so your downside risk is still minimal.

So how did Maus/Type5 do in ranked mode? 

Easy ranking or terribly frustrating because of arty?

Maus: Easy mode

Type5: Ultra-easy mode. 

Even at rank 5? Because up until that point pretty much anything was easy mode.

I played only 1st week of RB, and ended in top 50 EU players, at the end of W1 with playing mostly PZ VII and Maus. I earned some points with Obj 907 and T62, but most of the points were collected with the former two. 

I don't have Jap heavies, but imagine having guaranteed 600 or more damage per reload - no need to aim, just blap that premium HE shell in general area of the enemies. It is extremely easy mode. 

All of the greens and yellows i saw in high ranks were playing either arty or type5. Also, E4 with HE was also quite popular among bads because of the same thing - guaranteed 400+ dmg per reload. 

Do I need to mention arty? :)

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/ranked-battles-2beta-season/

Few things to note :

The points system is no longer in excess of points :
before we had 15 peoples gaining one chevron, 3 players not gaining or losing chevron and 12 players losing one chevron = +3 chevrons per game
Now it's 10 players gaining one chevron, 10 players not gaining or losing chevron and 10 players losing one chevron = +0 chevron per game

For rank 5 you will need to gain 9 chevrons, so 9 victory with no loss taking you out of top 5 in between (that is going to be tough).
Still 4pts per week (12 in total) to be in the ranking, so top 10% is still a fluke and is really top 1% (even more so because you will need 7 chevrons between rank 3 and rank 4 instead of 5 chevrons before. And the total to reach rank 4 from the start is now 16 chevrons instead of 12).

Previous ranking needed a great commitment to be in league 1,2 or 3 but i think it just became even more so.

Bonds reward have increase for each rank that you will place each week.
And at the same time they have reduce bonds you will get at the end for each league.