Luna

Ranked Battles Discussion

309 posts in this topic

So what are the least frustrating tanks to play this time around? 

I'm leaning towards Patton/Sconq. 

7 hours ago, Sapros said:

So what are the least frustrating tanks to play this time around? 

I'm leaning towards Patton/Sconq. 

High alpha heavy tank. Basically if you don't screw up your deployment (i.e. don't get yourself isolated) you only need to pen ~3 shots to not lose a chev on a loss or to gain a chev on a win. With armor+hitpoints and not exposing yourself, that should be pretty simple. S Conq and 5A are decent, but you need more shots and take damage easier.

If I had a Type 5 I'd be spamming that. I've been using VK7201 with SConq/5A for a little variety. I made it to ~rank 5 on the T-100LT, but that is far more work. I may also mix in a little E4 because 375 APCR is pretty good I hear...

Until rank 15 I played 90% S conq, 10% 5a. Since then I've branched out more into tanks I prefer playing (read: STB, which obviously isn't that great of a choice for someone who cares about getting ranks). @dualmaster333 is right that Type 5 and VK72 are fairly strong - when the people you're trading with are more likely to pen you than not it helps having hp and alpha to work with. In addition the concept of just holding a position is very important in ranked and in that case the alpha serves as a deterrent. 

Initial opinions after one night:

- 268-4 looks really really good. Faster than some mediums, armor can bounce some gold which is more than what most tanks can do, decent gun. Still, its turretless TD which means it can get fucked in some situations. It will get tracked lot so better have full repair skills crew with this, for ranked mode alone could even thing about using Toolbox module. +40% track repair speed could be extremely useful when opponents are actively trying to keep you tracked.

- Strv103b still strong, needs high situational skills and map knowledge I guess. Boost nerfs maybe make it little weaker than previous season but not much.

- Type5 as strong as ever, could be optimal for ranking if playing scummy. Aka play ultra-safe, be last alive, farm easy shoots. Probably top exp in losses. I mean, when you see Type5 same side as you, its just better go other side of map...

- 430U is good, I dont own 907 but I thing 430U is best alternative. That boat hull can sometimes save it in situation any other meds would die. Can tank pretty well when sidescraping or hull down though not TD gold ammo. 340 Heat is nice against superheavies and 268-4's.

- 5a, S-Conqueror seems reliable workhorses

- Scouts seems bit too much hit or miss. Lot of bad city maps, and even good maps its hard to get good exp for some reason. I had 7k assist, 500 damage win in scout and did not even get 2 chevrons, was like 4th or 5th in exp.

- M48 patton feels good, turret is now good enough to bounce some gold.

- IS7 is bit question mark. I like tank nowadays after buffs but that weak premium ammo is bad against tier 10 superheavies/TD's and low dpm is weakness if going against mediums. Maybe not that good for ranked.

- T110e4 could be intresting with gold spam. Turreted tank but still enough oommph to go through superheavies. Feels this season is more about heavily armored tanks and TD's than previous season.

How is 705A, seems very rare soo far so no idea about that? Gun seems meh.

I didn't have much time to play, but when I did play, i spammed mostly Obj907. Also, going for tracking shots is often time better than going for damage. I had several 2-chevron matches where i had ~1000dmg but shitload of assist. 

Type 5 seems like a easymode. Like someone already mentioned, you need 3 shots in high alpha tanks in order to gain/not lose chevron in win/loss, which is something above 2000 actual dmg. For Type 5 it is 4  - 5 shots, which is easy to do due to the huge HP pool, and retarded HE mechanics. I don't have the tank, so i can't confirm it, but seeing that each team has at least 3 of these in almost every match i think is enough of an evidence. 

Also, arty seems to earn a lot of XP due to the stun mechanics. Targets are stunned for ages, and collecting assist dmg seems easy. I also see a lot of shitters (48% players for example) playing E4/E3 or even JPE100 with HE spam, and they managed to reach fairly high ranks. Just spam HE, so even if you are a 48% player, you will reach high ranks. 

I don't agree with arty getting a lot of XP, stunning doesn't seem to give much. Tried T92 for a few games but it's not working very well at least for me. Conqueror seems to be the safest choice, Object 430U has been working ok also. Bringing a healthy number of HE seems to work quite well with Conqueror also, many times there are slow engagements where no one can really pen anyone, and then you can at least do something while waiting the game to move on. Not surprisingly anything with zero armor doesn't work, tried Grille and 50B a few games for fun, but doesn't seem to make much sense to play anything that can't fight head on, maybe excluding BC. As most are playing heavily armored tanks you are focused even more than normally on anything with no armor. And sniping from far is just not going to win games, or give enough XP.

All in all I'm actually enjoying ranked games, haven't played too much but it's a nice change and games are really different from random games. Only problem is that T10 is really getting a bit boring, would be cool to see ranked games played at T9.

Well somehow I convinced myself to play ranked enough to hit Rank 15. 95 battles total. I mostly used the VK7201 with a little 4005 mixed in. 4005 was more work because you have no armor to sustain. You have to play behind your heavies and take shots on enemy reload. The nice thing is you don't care about armor; pop someone's side track that is sticking out too much for 600+. Repeat a couple times and you have a chev.

VK was a pretty solid performer. It has the armor and hit points to stay alive and you only need to pen 3 shots to not lose a chev. It's particularly effective against Type 5's. Their thick flat plates are easy to pen and you out trade their HE. I'd generally drive to the heaviest brawl area and then play cautiously until getting 2-3k damage. I lost a chev here or there along the way, but made steady progress every night I played. One night I only won 30% of my games, but still ended the night +7 chevs.

Oh yeah, I hit rank 15 last night, then switched to a CGC for a few games just to be a dick. 3 games, 5 chevs, extra vehicle rank. #balanced

1 hour ago, dualmaster333 said:

Well somehow I convinced myself to play ranked enough to hit Rank 15. 95 battles total. I mostly used the VK7201 with a little 4005 mixed in. 4005 was more work because you have no armor to sustain. You have to play behind your heavies and take shots on enemy reload. The nice thing is you don't care about armor; pop someone's side track that is sticking out too much for 600+. Repeat a couple times and you have a chev.

VK was a pretty solid performer. It has the armor and hit points to stay alive and you only need to pen 3 shots to not lose a chev. It's particularly effective against Type 5's. Their thick flat plates are easy to pen and you out trade their HE. I'd generally drive to the heaviest brawl area and then play cautiously until getting 2-3k damage. I lost a chev here or there along the way, but made steady progress every night I played. One night I only won 30% of my games, but still ended the night +7 chevs.

Oh yeah, I hit rank 15 last night, then switched to a CGC for a few games just to be a dick. 3 games, 5 chevs, extra vehicle rank. #balanced

Hey thanks for that dude. Tried the VK7201 (K) Today. The CW reward. Got 6 chevrons easy and finally got rank 15. Forget the heat. HE for the win. You never bounce and you get extra xp for tracking assists. Plus I played it with superheavy spalliner, so arties can SUCK IT. 

The 430U seems gud so far. Up to rank 8 atm without a hitch. Can tank like a heavy and flex like a med. I thought about the IS-7 but it really does not make sense to bring that over the 430U: since everyone has 270 pen or more so, there is simply no difference between a 180mm vs 230mm effective weakspot.