Luna

Ranked Battles Discussion

309 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Gryphon_ said:

Ill settle for some teams full of decent players. If it works as intended, the shitters wont be able to get into the multi-star games. 

I got wrecked so often it wasnt true but I thought it was the most enjoyable session I've had in a while.

I guess as an additional question... better maybe to delay starting until the first wave of goods has already hit higher ranks?

Sadly light tanks seem non-competitive. The Sheridan was just flat out bad (no surprise). The T-100 was better because you can at least sometimes out spot the billion RU meds in a meaningful way. But you're still vastly inferior to other mediums.

I found a large number of games degenerate into camps or at least very slow play. Not very fun when all you want to do is GOFAST!

Results from end of day 1 (NA server):

@Death_Rattle_Shakes CONTRATS FOR BEING THE ONLY PERSON FOR GETTING RANK 5!

120 other players made it to rank 4.

Rank 1 cutoff is at 442, meaning that 4420 players have attempted at least 1 ranked battle.

Interesting notes from battles: I got Live Oaks 3 times from south, in each of the games at least 10 tanks went south.
Most other battles followed a similar pattern, of basically everyone going to the meta spot. Most matches have a large brawl happening that pretty much decides the outcome of the entire match.

3 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

This begs the question... is this what SEA meta is like?

vvvvvvvv

2 hours ago, Luna said:

Interesting notes from battles: I got Live Oaks 3 times from south, in each of the games at least 10 tanks went south..

^^^^^^

Pretty standard.

Campiness at a server level probably could be measured with battle times or something but certainly the anecdotes are that it's pretty campy. And pretty sprem spammy. I would love to see WG's sprem usage data. 5% comrade. Lol. Guessing that includes a bunch of numpties driving around in pz1C just seeing how quick they can use up their ammo.

I realized this morning that my thoughts have only been on the whiny side, so to make the feedback complete, I'll add some positive points that I forgot to mention

1. No idlers or afkers. Pretty self explanatory, doesnt give you anything
  2. Snowballs or no snowballs but generally it is much better to play with team mates who know what the M key does
  3. You can actually push flanks in mid game in force by using "follow me" command. People do understand that pushing through camping TDs does not work so meds and heaviums do change flanks and create opportunities
  4. And the last point is mostly for me :) My failure or success is much less relevant. In randoms if I get yoloed or make a mistake, then that can pretty much decide the fate of the game. In ranked your personal failure is not punished that hard because your team can and will carry 50% (not something to rely on ofc)

Come to think of it, ranked is better than random for the game experience. Yes, similar problems exist but on a lower scale and some problems do not exist (botting). It is hard to farm WN or WR but the overall experience is more pleasant.

Also my congrats to all players who made it to Rank 5 in one evening, not a small feat.

Currently at rank 4.3, i actually enjoy this mode

Teams seems to stay together/rush the main brawling zone (ie 30 tanks on the south-est part of live oaks). And it's very odd to see your team reacting to push/flank falling etc

But, i didn't not see those dmg farmer. The main way to get xp on the losing team is assit and kills. Well, i saw some tds camping in the back to farm dmg, but more than 300m/no spot and low hp enemy not throwing their tank away means low xp for them. (With 900dmg, 2k spot and 3 kills i end up with more xp than a 5k dmg camping grille on a defeat)

Low rank are bad tho. A lot of arty and high alpha tds. I guess this is how the low end of players react when they need to try hard. Take the biggest gun and hope for the best. 

3 minutes ago, Serprotease said:

A lot of arty and high alpha tds. I guess this is how the low end of players react when they need to try hard. Take the biggest gun and hope for the best. 

There are just so much of these guy's. :triggered:

Last evening i played almost full 4 hours of this thing. I must say it was the most enjoyable wot session i had in a while. 

I lost my way into rank 3, literally first 6 matches were 6 losses, in all 6 of them i was top ranked in losing team. Played obj 907 mostly, maybe one game of 140. From rank 3 the actual fun begins. Yes, most games look like a stomp, but they are actually not. In rank 3 i found it hard to keep up with meds, so I switched to Pz VII, and this was great choice. I lost one game i think. It was Malinovka, where I had maus at the start of the game just drive into the field. I guess he didn't want to play that map at all.

It was a joy to play with guys from all those strong clans, and there is really a visible difference in who plays for win, and who is dmg whoring. 

The biggest issue I have are the Type 5s. They just press 2 and have guaranteed 500dmg per shot. I feel like they are quite dominating the low ranks, not many of them in rank 3 and 4. 

Playing in Rank 4 is really enjoyable, and there is a HUUUGE difference when it's full rank 4 match, or it is mix with lower ranks as well. The player quality as you go up grows exponentially. Although, I guess in the following days, there will be more bads that will manage to reach ranks 3 and 4, but again it's far far better than randoms. 

The only bad thing is the economy. Everyone shoots gold exclusively, so I had to do so as well in order to remain competitive. I already see that I will need to finance each ranked session with a long session of premiums, for which i simply don't have the time :(. 

Hell I even made some friends during these matches! It was the FUN that I was missing from WoT. We will see how this develops, but so far - so good. 

Played to rank 4 in EU, not too bad.

- Some campers/damage padders but not too much. Like T57 sniper who was sitting full health backline when everyone else was dead...  Maybe 3 top losers getting chevron is too much, adjusting it to 1-2 could be better. Still pretty fine but hoping it does not get worse.

- Peoples mostly playing mediums as expected.

- Some arties but they seem to underperform at least what comes to experience. They could be valueable for team, stunning group of enemies in critical moment but they still get bad experience so advancing can be hard I guess?

- Few t10 lights, they never seemed to be that good, I thing their vision advantage is not enough against fast moving hordes of t10 meds.

- Heavium like T110e5 and object260 could be best choices? Strong against t10 meds and and still can somewhat keep up with medium wolfpack.

- Strv103-b is probably only TD worth using.

- As expected, assist damage is valuable, maybe just as valuable as damage. In some won game with batchat I had measly 1k damage done, no kills but thanks to 2.6k assist still 4th in experience.

- Oh and matchmaker not balancing heavies is still decision I cannot understand. One team getting 4 heavies more makes "intresting" battles.

E5's good but can get frustrating. It's awesome in randoms because you get to farm bads and low tiers. There's neither of those in ranked matches.

You're mostly up against good players spamming heat, so the cupola's a significant issue sometimes. Playing it like a fat and resilient medium seemed to yield good results.

Base on what I've seen, I'd guess 907/140/62 and bc/tvp are the best choices.

Is the 113 viable in ranked? I find the tank frustrating to solopub, but with reduced arty presence it might just be doable.

20 minutes ago, lavawing said:

Is the 113 viable in ranked? I find the tank frustrating to solopub, but with reduced arty presence it might just be doable.

FWIW, in my five (5) battles last night I noted more arty than traditional pubs...

45 minutes ago, lavawing said:

I think yes, though as I remember, i saw only 2 of them through my entire session, both were on my team, and both did quite well (that is why i remembered them).

40 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

FWIW, in my five (5) battles last night I noted more arty than traditional pubs...

Yeah. Seems like this is what the first ranks have showed me also. 

Hit rank 4 last night on NA and then lost it before the time ended. Anyway my thoughts as follows:

• XP is a horrendous system to base ranking up on along with the current rank up ruleset. More than half of the winning team usually gets carried to a chevron due to the decisiveness of a few players. Furthermore, as the games get higher in rank, figure the games will be closer. I had a Live Oaks game last night go for the entire time limit due to how close it was. Ended up coming down to a 2v1 or something. Everyone that was alive past the 5 min mark deserved a chevron as there were playing out of their mind. (Mind you this had a lot of the top players on the server in this game.) We lost and the rest follows. 
  • Map rotation is pretty aids. They need to pick side balanced maps only. With the higher assumed skill level of players they are able to exploit this knowledge. North spawn Mali is useless to go hill, along with the usual south spawn aids that Live Oaks usually produces. 
  • This is really only a problem with NA or maybe its just me. The number of good players on NA is so low that depending on what team has more, usually comes out victorious. So what you have is shit getting carried to the higher ranks, then not performing when they need to. Hopefully this is less apparent at 5 or whatever but who knows. 

I'll try again tonight and see what happens. 

My review so far:

1. All the negatives of randoms magnified

2. Further pounding of dynamic game play into the ground; camp fests abound

3. Forced to fire gold almost constantly leading to a huge credit drain, plus the high cost of repairs in tier 10s

4. The requirements to get rewards are simply not worth the effort nor the credit drain you are bound to suffer

I can't see this mode staying around mainly due to the reasons mentioned above but in all honesty the credit drain alone will start to dissuade the majority of players. For a supposedly free to play game, this mode just leaves a bad taste in that regard.

There need to be better incentives and more of them that are realistic for an average player to be able to reach because that's what the majority of WoT player base are, average players.

I have a feeling NA meta is different from EU meta. I originally decided to wait until WG adjusts the game mode, but after consideration decided to give it another go. Games are fast. I played around 15ish battles today and none of them had any camping. Also yesterdays damage farming issue seems to have resolved itself. Maybe im lucky? So all the problems gone, only good remains. Well, that and I had a few rank 4 games  with 2 SPGS per side, one on each side rank 5... Credit loss is granted, everyone is using food+premium ammo. E5 with limited prem use turns 10-20k profit (no food). Also, my friend pointed out that mods do not work in ranked. Could this be a test? I sure do like the even playing field and lack of XVM. Hit rank 5, lets see if I have further motivation tomorrow.

Dare I say they almost made a fun gamemode?

Mode is shit, I had my first day if ranked today (couldn't play yesterday) and I'm about to quit this game for good.

I played 13 games, 30.77% wr, played 6 maps (yes, same maps twice + sand river a third time), every single time I met 907s, big alpha tds and 2+ spgs..

Every battle was a huge campfest..

I have also managed to get rank 5, and I have similar experiences to @Vesirott I started to run some of my tanks without food, to compensate the cost of the gold ammo.

I only had a few bad games, where my team had a big disadvantage in skill level. That was mainly in rank 3, I guess campers managed to get up to that rank by being in the top 3 loser all the time.  

8-10 pm it was absolutely awesome: hp sharing, coordination with only the commands like follow me etc, you name it. I had a battle which we won 15:0 and I think by the end of the game no one had more than 800 hp in my team.

This mode is far from perfect, but it's pretty damn fun. IF you advance to the high ranks with the first/second wave of good players.

PS: @Sapros holly shit congrats for the #8 spot.

I don't know I don't like it.
I can't catch a win, all my teams are getting snowballed and I cannot stop all these tanks on my own. I don't want to camp either. My teams can't spot and have no idea how maps work. Enemy teams has 13 tanks in one flank my teams have 7 and that's it game loss. Can I be that unlucky? Literally every chevron I got was me carrying to a win or getting top 3 xp in a loss in the front line with barely anything done. Only rank 3.1 :( Not to mention the cancerous fucks in JPZE100s, lucky fucker penned me from 450m with HE on the side of my STB1...

Im playing CAX and Fatton to avoid the need to fire prem much at all.

I'm only at 3.1, but its a joy to play so many battles with almost all the players being good (and better than me). A few shitters appeared and did stupid stuff - spamming chat, etc - but the reaction was 'lets all send in a replay, and report him anyway' This is good as players seem to want higher standards of conduct as well as play.

Very repetitive maps, often same one back to back , but two thumbs up anyway

After my first night of ranked I'm still somewhere in rank one.  4/8 in the E5 and 2/3 in the AX.  Lot's of bush camping redline E100s! 

I'm actually looking for advice.  I've been playing fairly aggressive going for the win, as such when I get on those teams with the camping super heavies/alpha TDs etc I'm dead too soon to place top 3 losers.  I'm wondering if support tanks are a better way to fail up a few ranks to get out of the 45% crowd a bit?  Or should I just be a little more conservative and not try to be the lead assault all the time?   Usually by the time I figure out that people are being dumber than myself I'm stuck and can't back out and damage farm-- is this the major mistake I'm making?

I do know I need to refresh where on the ruski heavies HEAT disappears into as I've also been getting way to many 0 damage hits as well-- but that's just me needing to "get gudder."

@muhahamuhaha I had the same issue on EU in lower ranks. Type5s camping the base etc. I personally climbed up using TVP and batchat. If your team splits, stay with the bigger split. Cant stress enough the importance of micropositioning. You have to be able to shoot red tenks without them focusing on you (more so in paper autoloaders than ruskie meds). Aggression is punished quickly and severely unless its a full roll by 10 meds. Perhaps the most generic advice would be "go with the flow, but never the first". Rank 3-4 on EU has very few superheavies and TDs. Its mostly autoloader heavies or russkie meds with 907 being by far the most popular.