Luna

Ranked Battles Discussion

276 posts in this topic

After I derped out one match, and played really bad, one of the teammates told me: "you are a random player, stick to it". Even though it was meant as an insult towards me, I see he had a point, and I think it's applicable to a lot of players. Meta is quite different, and CW experience comes in handy. Let go of the random mindset.

I was playing PzVII mostly, it brought me to rank 5 relatively easy. The tank being fairly new, bads have trouble penetrating it, and I'm using it to my advantage. But in rank V it's completely different story. Everyone shoots HEAT, and yes, they know very well where to shoot and how to pen. So PzVII becomes one sluggish beast with horrible DPM. I am missing one chevron to mark it, but I think i will change the tank after that.

Last evening I saw a flood of 113s. Most popular tanks in high ranks on EU are: 907 (by far), batchat and maus.

I like the mode quite a lot, but boy oh boy, I was not aware how actually bad I am :( 

I only played it a little bit and got 1 chevron into rank 1, it was my first experience of using tier 10s and I only have the E5 and 103B to use, it was fun and certainly an eye opener as to what I need to do improve my play further, I was much too aggressive even in the 103B and got punished hard for it, lots of red and yellow WR players using jageroos and things like that I noticed since they only need like 3 good shots to hit top of the team for damage done. Watching streams of rank 4 and 5 meta it seems the best choices to use are RU meds and batchats high rank while low rank the best choices are superheavies.

I think I have a chance of making rank 5 eventually though even only my last 200 battles have teal stats I seem to be on a constant upward stat trend lately and I have no preconceptions about tier 10 play that need to be broken to do well in ranked I just lack appropriate vehicles with the only tier 10 med in immediate reach being the M48 which might not be competitive enough vs the all the RU meds in rank 4/5, with a fair bit of missioning and then grinding I could get the STB-1 which I think could work with it's turret having some nice tough angles.

My advice, don't go with M48 or STB1. All people that I have seen with those tanks have failed miserably. And generally, except batchat, paper meds are at a huge disadvantage. Soviet meds are simply so much better. Sad but true. 

31 minutes ago, 3MAJ86 said:

My advice, don't go with M48 or STB1. All people that I have seen with those tanks have failed miserably. And generally, except batchat, paper meds are at a huge disadvantage. Soviet meds are simply so much better. Sad but true. 

Yep, at higher star ranks one will be against hordes of russian mediums, often in hull down positions. Soft turreted mediums pretty much lose in those situations, for example TVP is excellent tank but it cannot do prolonged brawl against russian meds. E50M works somewhat, batchat is also imho bit weak or needs to play flanking and not taking part in big brawls as much. Reason could be because there is no voice coms so there is no CW-like group attacks running middle and over enemies where batchat could unload clip. Instead fights are often slow camping brawls close range where turret armor is needed and batchat is horrible bad on those.

M48 tumor is too big weak spot despite rest of turret being somewhat trolly. Also its bit too big tank and little slow. STB-1 could work but it needs hills for turret armor to work and hull is still soft compared to russian meds, especially 907 which has that ridiculous boat shaped hull where even little badly aimed shoot can often bounce, in addition to good turret :/

4 hours ago, 3MAJ86 said:

After I derped out one match, and played really bad, one of the teammates told me: "you are a random player, stick to it". Even though it was meant as an insult towards me, I see he had a point, and I think it's applicable to a lot of players. Meta is quite different, and CW experience comes in handy. Let go of the random mindset

Now that I'm at rank 4, I must agree, the meta is quite different than the usual random meta.  It's refreshing, really, but I'm going to have to get used to it given I've mostly stayed away from CW.

Also: thus far it's making me really wish I had a 907 

:feelsbad:

T62a is the next best choice. Obj140 turret may fail you.

28 minutes ago, 3MAJ86 said:

yeah well I don't have that, either, just the 140 =*(

I've actually been using the STRV, which has worked fairly well as my teams are now strong enough to (usually) not get immediately rolled like some pubs.  I failed miserably with the TVP.  combination, I think, of too many RU meds and being rusty with it.

5 minutes ago, 3MAJ86 said:

430 with food?

i don't have 430, so i have no idea :(

Although I think i didn't see a single one in 2 days of playing on EU. I guess that unreliable gun is a no-no. I played it (some time ago) on my brother's account, and maan that gun is bad. 

How do you see the leaderboard of ranked ? 

59 minutes ago, DHP said:

How do you see the leaderboard of ranked ? 

Click on your chevron's in ranked mode, then on the bottom left side there should be a button that says Season Standings or something like that.

Clanmate suggested to use lights to get a shitload of exp, gonna try 13 105 (made it to rank 4 this evening, but I've lost 2 chevrons due to brain farts..

6 hours ago, WhatTheSkara said:

Clanmate suggested to use lights to get a shitload of exp, gonna try 13 105 (made it to rank 4 this evening, but I've lost 2 chevrons due to brain farts..

Ignore the shit below this, forum done fucking up and I can't delete the bottom quote.

I've so far had decent success in my mediums with running vision setups (on either the CAX or Patton) and going for tracking shots on heavies and TDs. Just had a Prok match with 5850 assist damage in my CAX which was worth some good XP.

6 hours ago, WhatTheSkara said:

3 hours ago, canadiantrex said:

Ignore the shit below this, forum done fucking up and I can't delete the bottom quote.

I've so far had decent success in my mediums with running vision setups (on either the CAX or Patton) and going for tracking shots on heavies and TDs. Just had a Prok match with 5850 assist damage in my CAX which was worth some good XP.

What rank you playing the CAX and Patton at?

Just now, RGM79GM said:

What rank you playing the CAX and Patton at?

I'm up to like 1.2 i think. Only played a half dozen battles or so, cause this 3 hour time slot is goddamn bullshit.

Quick and serious question but, are you guy's having FUN in this gamemode ? 

If they where no bonds would you play it ? 

Yes! In the last 3 days i had more fun with WoT than in previous 3 months!

I would play it for some epeen showoff thingies rather than bonds to be honest. Like marks of excellence are the motivation. (unique camos, emblems & similar stuff). 

For WG it would be better if they were rewarding players with credit boosters, or gold/premium time, or just straight up credits, than rewarding them with OP equipment, and thus increasing the skill gap. Or simply increase the income per match, so I don't lose 50k credits for a win because of goldspam + food. For example penalize completely losing team, and give them 0 credits reward, but give the difference to the winning team or something like that... 

On 2017-6-7 at 5:59 AM, 3MAJ86 said:

With 4000 dmg, 3000 bounced, and 1500 spotting in one battle last night - I agree - T62a. 

I have had some success with the Fatton when fully pimped for vision (BIA/Recon/SA/optics/vents = 510 VR) as you often get spots on their deep backline when they fire, which helps the team a lot; but its not good in a brawl, for sure.

4k guys have failed to tank 5. Its resembling randoms more and more. Full kemp on bush just like randoms regardless of the tank. Splits, no steamrolling flanks, etc. Boring

All in all I am having a lot of fun with it.  

So. Many. JPEs. :eww:

A lot of people are obviously bringing what they have, but RU meds, E5s, Maus, 113, seem to be finishing with most XP.  LTs and TDs - not so much.  One exception was an R-7 guy that carried our asses in a 13-105.

I had a great night, then a terrible night.  I have not noticed camping on most maps, most of the time its a rush to the meta brawling spot - even when thats probably not a great idea.  Did I mention I'm enjoying it?

tried it, hoped r5 would be better matches, was disappointed.. also earning a max of 7750 bonds a month... no thanks, not going to endure ranked for 2 months to upgrade one tank.

It's per week

its 500 bonds per stage for achieving rank 5, and at the end of the season (4 stages) you can earn another 5750 bonds if you place in top 10%.