Sapros

Vents vs Optics: Improved Equipment Edition

34 posts in this topic

Given the way the meta's evolved and how Improved Vents get a bigger bonus than any other piece of equipment compared to their standard versions, is 9.19 the time to finally ditch Optics?

Not entirely and especially with the new light tanks, optics have more use then ever. If I'm a heavy or medium, getting that little extra view range can mean the difference between getting bushed sniped or winning. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to preference and how you play. 

honestly Im most likely just gonna swap loadouts on pretty much all my tanks that I would put the improved stuff on, and replace them with the improved versions of them. same loadout, just improved. 

I haven't made Optics a priority equipment in a long time. Running the standard Vents, Ram, and Vert Stab on any vehicle that can and use vision skills, BIA, and food to boost the view range to 450-460, which is more than enough for me. Only vehicles I use Optics on anymore are auto loaders that can't use Ram, or vehicles that don't have the vert stab option, in which case I take Optics over a Gun Laying Drive.

One could make a case for Vents over optics in any machine that's not a LT, but in a light tank you need all the VR you can get just to not get outspotted by tier X meds. If you can easily reach max VR without optics (like in a Patton or something), it might be better to go Vents. 

If it hits max VR with normal vents, go IVents

If the gun handling difference is significant with food on, go IVents

or just put IVents on pretty much everything that can reach a good VR for the tier (455+ on T10) 

final accuracy is a big deal and IVents are the only thing that will improve it more than currently possible, and I'd go with improved vents instead of optics on almost all tanks that are on the verge of max VR with normal vents where I went optics instead, but I'll probably keep optics on lower tiers (if I ever have the time to grind out improved equipment for T8 prems)

As long as you have max view range skills and food, you will be hitting ~470m VR with IVents on 410VR tanks.

For 400 VR tanks its ~458m with IVents vs the 485m of optics.

I don't think I'll ever run IOptics so that's out of the question. Whether or not I would take IVents over optics would vary on the tank. For example, the STB needs as much gun handling as it can get, so I may choose to run it on the STB over the IVS (looking at tanks.gg the IVS doesnt seem significant). On RU meds I'd probably just take an IRammer since I don't feel it provides enough of an advantage and I'd rather have 30m more VR. Although I will be putting vents on for competitive play.

I'd go ivents on anything but lights, maybe ivents + ioptics on both the 13 105 and the t100 (I don't run vstab on my t100 cuz it's useless), this means more camo and view range at the same time..

I'll probably keep the standard vstab, 2.5% buff on otm dispersion doesn't seem much on a medium (they already have good dispersion values)..

Ivstab on derpy heavies maybe? 113 or t57? Or maybe igld on t57 + ivents to get the aim time to a decent level..

In any case my batchat will get improved equipment (igld, ioptics, ivstab) since I play it only with food and want to mitigate the terribad handling 

Optics still on LTs and anything with sufficiently good handling or needing the vision role or the 50B. But I'm getting ivstab first for T49 things.

I speak heresy but Ive dumped vstab on some tanks with very low aim time / good gun handling (esp Patton) and run vents rammer optics.

It's not about how far you can see the heavies (the answer is always about 450m) - it's about seeing the mediums.With those, you need all the VR you can get to see a medium with good crew and paint at 350+

I'd probalby do both vents and optics.. and drop the rammer. My win rate and dpg both went up when I dropped rammer on a lot of tanks I played that have a reload between 8s and 12 without rammer. (And it made 3 marks a lot easier).

1 hour ago, Gryphon_ said:

It's not about how far you can see the heavies (the answer is always about 450m) - it's about seeing the mediums.With those, you need all the VR you can get to see a medium with good crew and paint at 350+

^This, plus the lights and bushed up TDs as well.  Food optics vents all add to your max view range which is the number that the camo percentage comes off of.  The end result which can be up to but not exceeding 445 m.  Problem is that there are so few maps where the vision game actually can be exploited on.  With the corridor maps and the terrain features which shorten up engagement ranges, I can see where many opt for Vert Stablizers/Rammer/Vents sacrificing optics in favor of reload time and gun handling/soft stats especially on heavies.

I hope people start dropping their Optics. It's already enormously fun abusing people with my 500+ view range/40% camo light tanks. Removing your vision will enhance that greatly!

More on topic though, the additional benefit from iVents over regular vents is so tiny that it really doesn't change anything. iVents only adds 4 meters view range which isn't significant enough to change the decision on vents or Optics. If you ran Optics on a tank before it makes sense to continue running Optics. If you ran vents before, continue running vents. 

Vision meta may not be what it was, but when it does matter its pretty much a binary W/L decider.  I won a game yesterday because I had optics on my 50-120 that would have been a loss without them.  That seems to be the thing about vision, its that one out of every 50-100 battles late game 3 v 3 chess match that is won because the bush wookie TDs got out spotted by a HT with 460+ VR.  The 50-120 is kind of an odd duck because the 3.33 interclip and lack of rammer pretty much begs for optics, but its certainly not unique.

iOptics would push my 50-120 from 465 to 475, that would have probably bought me another free shot on the T95 that I caught facing sideways and it would have probably saved a team mate that he killed.

iOptics is going to be fucking gamebreaking from tier 5 to 8. Add directives to that and gg. 

T100 lt will become annoying as fuck since you wont be able to spot it over 225m on the move and around 330 when it shooting, if you have max view range. 

5 minutes ago, nabucodonsor said:

iOptics is going to be fucking gamebreaking from tier 5 to 8. Add directives to that and gg. 

T100 lt will become annoying as fuck since you wont be able to spot it over 225m on the move and around 330 when it shooting, if you have max view range. 

It's already the tier X vision king!

Ok sorry i messed up the numbers (i was using some extra bush cover) but if i am right this time and if you can use 100% camo, ivents, food, bia and 2 directives (+10% camo and +2,5 vents) a tank with 440 view range should spot the t100 lt on the move at 245m and at 389m if the t100 is shooting. No bush included. 

I suck at math so i hope i got it right this time. 

@CraBeatOff if i am right would this make the tank even more the king? 

*forgot to add painting

I think you can only use one directive at a time

1 hour ago, CraBeatOff said:

It's already the tier X vision king!

is there any place with up to date tank camo values so I don't have to log in the game?

11 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

is there any place with up to date tank camo values so I don't have to log in the game?

Not that I'm aware of. 

3 hours ago, hazzgar said:

If only wg made its "assistant" app a little less useless :feelsbad:

Isnt wot info ok? I think it has the correct values even for lights

What's best universal equipment? If I remember correctly optics is only viable option since it goes on all classes? 

18 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

What's best universal equipment? If I remember correctly optics is only viable option since it goes on all classes? 

EGLD, Optic.

Vents don't go on open tank. Vstab don't go on a lot of tank like TDs and rammer don't go on autoloader (as a rule of thumb).

6 hours ago, DHP said:

EGLD, Optic.

Vents don't go on open tank. Vstab don't go on a lot of tank like TDs and rammer don't go on autoloader (as a rule of thumb).

EGLD is mostly on lower tiers and some with atrocious gun handling, optics seems to be sensible choice because of compatibility. Vstab is viable but too many classes and so few bonds.