Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Psycodiver

Goodbye NC, hello Iowa

28 posts in this topic

Goodbye ol' friend, I loved you, I hated you, you brought me great joy and much frustration, and if I can sum this ship up for myself it would be inconstant. I bought this ship in May last year and it took me 88 battles to grind through her. Why so long you ask, well at the time high tier play was a brick wall I had no interest in dealing with and she was vastly different from the USN standards I came to love. I maybe had 10 games in her for the first 6 months but since the beginning of the year I started playing her more and more and started to love her. The issue I had was I could have games were I did a easy 120k damage or a frustrating 40k damage game. Also with the MM changes I found her being bottom tier allot more that she should have but she is more capable of handling herself in T10 matches when played right. Lets get down the the nitty-gritty

Guns: This took getting used to, but once you figure them out they become hilarious, especially against KM BBs at long range, its so easy to take 10-20k cuts out of them, but at close range it really favors them. This ship loves cruiser citadels, I dunno why I play the Amagi on PTS every session and while she is a great ship, the NC is just a cruiser citadel machine. I ended up logging in a bunch of time in COOP while learning her guns but once you learn them they get easy. I never upgraded the FCS as I found the stock range more than capable in all matches

AA: Its a shame I never got to put this to full use, CVs avoided me. I ran the AA mod along with BFT and AFT and I only had one game recently where a Hiryuu had a hard on for me and I deleted 32 of his planes for a single torpedo hits. Other than that I think my 100+ AA rating acted more as a deterrent than anything

I ran full concealment build on mine and found its ability disappear  and heal extremely handy when being focused down. Her speed was very nice to have also and with rudder upgrade she could really wiggle and kite enemy players. I think she is a tougher ship for new players to high tier because she is a very different ship from what came before unlike the IJN and KM lines where they are more of a progression.

I had a 50%WR (one of my worse WR for any ship), Averaged 66,926 damage, 1109XP, Survival 42%, accuracy 24%, and WTR 1158. Hopefully I can be more constant in the Iowa

Well, I found the Iowa to be a definite downgrade.  ~15k less damage, 5% less win rate.  A disappointment in general.  

yeah I'm not in a hurry to move onto the iowa

The Iowa is fine, it's just that the Missouri is in game which is flat out better. Also the citadel buff because what a common battleship needed was immunity to cruiser AP citadels :facepalm:

Fred and Kurfurst are immune to BB cits let alone CA cits and they are far more common and are paperships to boot.

Ya know how folks initially played wot to play a tiger tank or T-34?

I play ships with the goal of getting a NC BB , tis the lasting legacy of my states ship:D

16 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

Fred and Kurfurst are immune to BB cits let alone CA cits and they are far more common and are paperships to boot.

One ship being stupid and obnoxiously easy to play does not require another ship to be the same.

I can citadel NCs with CA AP... why would the Iowa suddenly be impossible to do the same to?

It won't be. You will just have to aim a bit to hit the citadels. You wont be eviscerated anytime you try to turn. It is a good change and will make the Iowa and Montana slightly easier to play. It is more psychological change, then in fact. So the US BB's might be able to use thier speed instead of bow tanking. Alabama and NC still require bow tanking, so I expect Iowa, MIssouri and Montana to gain a little staying power. They wont be OP. The first week or 2 after 6.6 goes live will be fun. Lots of medium range CIts to be had.

5 hours ago, bathoz said:

I can citadel NCs with CA AP... why would the Iowa suddenly be impossible to do the same to?

I suppose you're talking about plunging fire?!
MyfXCXI.jpg

4 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

It won't be. You will just have to aim a bit to hit the citadels. You wont be eviscerated anytime you try to turn. It is a good change and will make the Iowa and Montana slightly easier to play. It is more psychological change, then in fact. So the US BB's might be able to use thier speed instead of bow tanking. Alabama and NC still require bow tanking, so I expect Iowa, MIssouri and Montana to gain a little staying power. They wont be OP. The first week or 2 after 6.6 goes live will be fun. Lots of medium range CIts to be had.

Or, and maybe this is a stretch, BB players could use their brains and execute turns when not under fire or when undetected. It is now substantially harder to citadel the ships because the trajectory at pen range is so flat. I'm fucking sick of WG giving Danegeld to battleship players.

The citadel on the Iowa pre 6.6 was a mistake on WG's part. It should have never been that high, and isn't in real life.

10 hours ago, MntRunner said:

The citadel on the Iowa pre 6.6 was a mistake on WG's part. It should have never been that high, and isn't in real life.

Real life doesn't matter a tuppeny fuck. Game balance matters. This does nothing to improve balance beyond making an already fine battleship broken good because Reddit are full of fucking shitters. Yeah I'm really angry about this.

That's rather clear :) however it's pretty universally felt that the Iowa is less tanky than the NC and tier 8 > better than tier 9 doesn't make a lot of sense.

It just means stuff like this is allot less likely

3 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Real life doesn't matter a tuppeny fuck. Game balance matters. This does nothing to improve balance beyond making an already fine battleship broken good because Reddit are full of fucking shitters. Yeah I'm really angry about this.

First the Iowa was under performing. Now it will be slightly better. It will balance the T8+ BBs versus each other better. This may make T8 plus game play slightly less cancerous and more active. It is a win in my book. Now if they can buff CA's a little, and reverse some of the DD nerfs we might have balance.  In case you are wondering, I am more of a DD and CA player, but they are real weak at the top end of the game.

5 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

So the most advanced and best armored ship that the USN ever built should have less citadel protection than the paperships it's tiered against? Keep in mind those paperships would have had less citadel protection in real life. Nobodies asking for the Iowa and Montana to become OP, we just don't want the unrealistic annihilation that it can often experience in the video that @Psycodiver posted. 

13 minutes ago, MntRunner said:

So the most advanced and best armored ship that the USN ever built should have less citadel protection than the paperships it's tiered against? Keep in mind those paperships would have had less citadel protection in real life. Nobodies asking for the Iowa and Montana to become OP, we just don't want the unrealistic annihilation that it can often experience in the video that @Psycodiver posted. 

Yes, because it fucks up the inter-class balance while doing very little to change the intra-class balance. You can play Missouri, Iowa and Montana effectively without getting deleted. I have over 100k damage average in my pre-buff Missouri, because I play it properly and understand how to maneuver to avoid being deleted. I don't care how advanced the USN ship is, I don't care how big the captain's balls are it's a game balance problem to make the ship harder for cruisers to counter. And it's entirely to appease the whining mass on reddit who are annoyed that their pet boat can't stomp face in every situation.

Hyperbole much OnboardG1? It is a small buff. Ca's will still burn it down. BB's will citadel a little less. Izumo will still bounce its' shells even with more or less flat side to it.

To help with the inter-class problem they are also moving more hit points to the mid section, and removing it from the bow and stern. This is going to result in more fire damage since the mid section is easier to start on fire.

3 hours ago, MntRunner said:

Yamato should have it too, look at armor schematics of her: all her machinery spaces are at or below the waterline iirc, nowhere near the total height of the armored raft section. Except we know if she got this buff she'd become grossly OP. Iowa and Montana have probably the best 16" in the game (Izumo's pens better at close range but it's nowhere as accurate), and now they can brawl well too. It's a powercreep for very popular ships in the class that's already over-represented in queues.

There are a lot of utter shitters being catered to - players who were so bad when I ground through Amagi I would count each NC on my team as dead on match start because on average the captain was that fucking useless, and this was around Christmas 2015, they make up a much larger % of the playerbase now - and they just keep getting their hands held. The buff in itself may be nice due to not artificially screwing the affected ships over, but in the overall trend of how the game is going it's just another step to making battleships more dominant. I mostly play BBs and I'm tired of it.

What should scare you is this means there's a chance the other high tier BBs could be buffed, even though they're doing ok. KM BBs have farmable armor schemes at long range (especially by 16"/50), but their money was in closing. Now it'll be harder to cash that in vs USN BB. Izumo has absolutely shit long range armor, but you could outbrawl two Iowas (I did it once) if you knew what you were doing. Now she'll just be big and ungainly and have 1k pen 410mms that aren't so great at range. And there's an outside chance Yamato could have her citadel height reduced in the future, because what's special about bow on overmatch if you really only overmatch other Yamatos easily? The balancing consideration of being able to punish bow on play will be diminished. Then you'll just have a ship with a well armored but easily exploitable hex-citadel that is clumsy as fuck.

3 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

Hyperbole much OnboardG1? It is a small buff. Ca's will still burn it down. BB's will citadel a little less. Izumo will still bounce its' shells even with more or less flat side to it.

Marginal gains. When I'm 1v1 against an Iowa end of game in my Moskva I knew I could charge him down and have a good chance of wrecking him if he stayed broadside to me. Now I can't. It's an indirect nerf to cruisers. I can't burn a broadside Iowa down before he kills me. I COULD citadel him to death in the last patch. I also agree with Mnemon pretty much in full. The precedent that a ship can receive this kind of buff because of whining battleship players is not good. 

That's the thing though, with all things being equal a CA shouldn't be able to take a BB 1v1.

Yet its okay for them to get deleted..or take 20K damage even while properly angled. Is it any surprise that the game is 40% BBs with that kind of mentality towards balance?

If battleships had easily accessible citadels all it would mean was that they'd get punished for bad situational awareness, just like CAs do. 

4 hours ago, MntRunner said:

That's the thing though, with all things being equal a CA shouldn't be able to take a BB 1v1.

All things equal, yes. But if it's say, Sea of Fortune and I sneak down an open flank in Zao and catch some Iowa bow-on-wonder tunneling into his little corridor and totally oblivious, it's fair if I can delete him really quickly. If he wanted to live maybe he should have not positioned with one flank open to a naked area of the map that he has no friends in. That was his tradeoff for having those amazing 16"/50s that reliably hit even at mid-long range.

And also, holy shit I just tested Yamato out on some stationary Iowas and Montanas in a training room. I got maybe two cits on bow on examples of them for 15 minutes or so of firing, at ranges from 12km to about 3.5km. From that I'm now guessing it's going to be very hard to break a line of bow campers, which is one thing Yamato was really good at with the overmatch. You can do normal damage to them, but they can literally burn you down with HE or something as you 7k-10k them to death.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0