Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calmdown

Is the Obj 263 worth getting in the current meta?

29 posts in this topic

With the current tanks, T10 gold spam, maps, general meta, and whatever tbe state of the tank is (i havent played for a few patches) is it worth getting?

Ive always liked the look at it and I'm prepped for the horrible grind but dont want to endure it and waste time/gold if its not worth it at the end.

its tough, until you run into high penetration TDs or someone with an itchy finger on the 2 key. the armor works at mid to long ranges where enemies can't hit your weakspots reliably. 

open-top can be a cause for concern when arty is in play, not as devastating as it used to be after arty change, but still a concern

firepower is far better than archaic 268, decent gun handling and DPM

mobility is fine, not as good as the Swede pancakes, but you can at least keep up with the medium tanks or get to advantageous positions sooner (and relocate as needed)

Since I posted this Ive been reading up on the Swede TDs and it seems like this is probably just inferior. Any reason to grind it when I could grind Swedes for a similar role TD?

Because the swedes can't brawl in most situations unlike a 263 when need be. It also performs better, usually, on city maps due to the armor and such while the STRV is usually more successful in open large maps with good scouts.

The average medium can't circle a 263.

'Nuff said.

Thanks guys, sounds worth grinding for. Starting at SU101 of course!

Next patch is likely a Russian buff/rework patch so there is that. 268 is said to be buffed so you could wait a bit before deciding to go for 263. 268 might be much worse than 263 now but it has lot less cancerous grind.

1 hour ago, Calmdown said:

Thanks guys, sounds worth grinding for. Starting at SU101 of course!

If you mean skipping the 100M1, it's far better than the 101.  Skip the 101 if anything.

2 hours ago, WhatTheSkara said:

The average medium can't circle a 263.

'Nuff said.

Correction: the average medium with a dead driver or no repair skill cannot circle a 263. Even with clutch breaking and food, 263 does not turn anywhere near fast enough to avoid getting circled by a medium; nor does it have the RoF to actually perma track a medium with more than 50% repairs.

263 is not competitive in solopubs. The armor is completely non-functional at close ranges, and not that great even at medium ranges due to where your weakspots are located. Long range chai sniping sucks for winning in today's corridor meta.

In terms of niche use in clan wars, strv is almost always a better option.

263 does "brawl" better than something like a grille 15.. but it is still pretty god damed awful at brawling if you even try to compare it to a heavy. RU meds do better in himmelsdorf alley than the 263.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding grinding up the line itself.

Skipping the su-100m1 is perfectly reasonable. It just doesn't have the pen to do a thing against far too many tier 8 heavies. And when you compare it to the SU-122-44.. you start to wonder why they are even in the same tier.

Su-101 is actually a lot better than the reputation after getting the IS-4 gun. It is by no means a great tank; but still better than the vast majority of tier 8 meds.

su-122-54 is just awful compared to JT. You sacrifice about 40% of your hp, 25% of your alpha and most of your armor for a camo bonus that doesn't work if you shoot, and the ability to run to a sniping spot faster. In this current meta, the SU-101 is actually far better tier for tier.

SU-100m1 is a good TD, and while SU-122-44 is better doesn't mean SU-100M1 is utter dog****. You get AMAZING gun handling with the Su-100m1, you don't even have to aim more than 0.3 second in most cases, and your DPM is super good. It does not have good pen, sure, but the gold round it carries isn't some 217pen silversink that does't pad skill no more, it has 235 pen- enough to balance anything not superheavies's UFP. 

A reply in the quick questions/answers thread listed the 263 as one of the tier Xa that are played in CWs. If it's as poor as is being indicated here then why is it being run in CWs?

onto the good gun on the SU101 now, feels like playing most rumeds except with no depression. Mega frustrating at times but has speed, camo and dpm, doesn't seem that bad at all (me being shit notwithstanding, still had a fair few great solopub carries in it)

Gun depression is dogshit making the tank very hard to use. And i dont think so many clans use it for cw. Then again i am a shitter but i think it is a tank that has a very small niche.  

This is Daki's review on CW tanks and you see that this tank is yes number 10 but the srtvb is better.

Thanks for the link, watching now.

still, top 10 for CW of *every T10* can't be that shit 

The vehicles prior to the 263 did much better in vision meta, where the 122-54 was almost certainly on of the best tier 9 TDs. The 263 however is very meh now. More people understand that the LWP and mantlet are weakpoints, and the japanese HE spammers will have a field day on that open top. Even before, it was only 1 in CW, for certain maps and strats. Being said, I do like that gun.

47 minutes ago, Calmdown said:

Thanks for the link, watching now.

still, top 10 for CW of *every T10* can't be that shit 

True but remember the are fame players and well the gun is very good but hard to use

14 hours ago, Nekommando said:

SU-100m1 is a good TD, and while SU-122-44 is better doesn't mean SU-100M1 is utter dog****. You get AMAZING gun handling with the Su-100m1, you don't even have to aim more than 0.3 second in most cases, and your DPM is super good. It does not have good pen, sure, but the gold round it carries isn't some 217pen silversink that does't pad skill no more, it has 235 pen- enough to balance anything not superheavies's UFP. 

A cardboard* TD with no gun arc/depression means if you are not engaging at long range, you will die very quickly. At long range, 235 apcr struggles with IS3/6s, and even with the LFP of King Tigers if he angle. 235 apcr was fine before all these heavy tank buffs in recent patches that made it really bad for long range frontal engagements.

*While the armor looks decent on paper, the gun mantle is the main weakspot that most opponents will pen; it is also where autoaim point at, making the armor no better than ST emil in practice.

The vehicles prior to the 263 did much better in vision meta, where the 122-54 was almost certainly on of the best tier 9 TDs. The 263 however is very meh now. More people understand that the LWP and mantlet are weakpoints, and the japanese HE spammers will have a field day on that open top. Even before, it was only 1 in CW, for certain maps and strats. Being said, I do like that gun.

SU-100m1 did far better in vision meta than it does today. SU-101 performs a different role altogether, thanks to the "new" top gun.

SU-122-54 was actually much worse in vision meta due to potato dpm if you want to abuse camo, and bleh dpm/poor accuracy if you chai snipe beyound vision range. It was sorely outclassed by obj704 and pre-buff JT in that era. Even ISU-152 was a better tier 9 than the 122-54 at that time. The gun had been buffed significantly since that time.. but the corridor meta is did it no favor. The only time the 122-54 didn't suck was back it was still in test server.

I'm sure that there are some FAME hipster calls that suit the 263, but I think I've only ever see it in CW once or twice in serious battles.  Strv, Grille, and occasionally E3s are the only TDs I ever see in CW and honestly you only see TDs in general in a small percentage of CW battles.  If you want one, by all means get one - but if you are getting one for CW, you're going to spend a lot of time sitting by the phone.

On 6/9/2017 at 4:18 PM, Hally said:

Correction: the average medium with a dead driver or no repair skill cannot circle a 263. Even with clutch breaking and food, 263 does not turn anywhere near fast enough to avoid getting circled by a medium; nor does it have the RoF to actually perma track a medium with more than 50% repairs.

263 is not competitive in solopubs. The armor is completely non-functional at close ranges, and not that great even at medium ranges due to where your weakspots are located. Long range chai sniping sucks for winning in today's corridor meta.

In terms of niche use in clan wars, strv is almost always a better option.

263 does "brawl" better than something like a grille 15.. but it is still pretty god damed awful at brawling if you even try to compare it to a heavy. RU meds do better in himmelsdorf alley than the 263.

"Not competitive in pubs" K, taking note of your average tier across the board I can see why you wouldn't know anything about tier 10s and pub meta.

8 hours ago, KruggWulf said:

"Not competitive in pubs" K, taking note of your average tier across the board I can see why you wouldn't know anything about tier 10s and pub meta.

He has 24 Tier X tanks with over 5K tier X battles.  He has unicum stats in pretty much all of them including the 263 (283 battles at 3K dpg), why you gotta be so rude all the time?

There is just no point in 263 when you can also take stv103b. Also, new arty is even worse than previous against 263. Yes new arty hits half of damage compared to old, but new arty can also aim LOT faster and is more accurate dropping HE shells on open top 263. And 263 is really big target.

Btw remember there is russian tank tree rebalance coming just about now, maybe next patch. If that also touches 263, things might change.

9 hours ago, KruggWulf said:

I have over 70% solopub win rate in a lot of tier 10s.. if I don't know anything about tier 10s or the pub meta, then who does? Sure, I'm no longer as good as I used to; and no longer hold top server performance.. but pretty sure I still know basic stuff. Just because I have a lower average tier due to grinding out all tank lines and credits the hard way doesn't mean I can't play tier 10s.

10 hours ago, Hally said:

I have over 70% solopub win rate in a lot of tier 10s.. if I don't know anything about tier 10s or the pub meta, then who does? Sure, I'm no longer as good as I used to; and no longer hold top server performance.. but pretty sure I still know basic stuff. Just because I have a lower average tier due to grinding out all tank lines and credits the hard way doesn't mean I can't play tier 10s.

Okay, I'm going to apologize for coming off like that, wasn't in the best of moods, I'm sorry.

But my initial opinion still stands, 263 is actually quite 'competitive' in pubs, if anything can be 'competitive' in a pub match. It out does the STRV in a lot of situations that involve fighting heavies where there isn't ample room and space to be away from them as they tend to have guns that will pen you in the places where the armor isn't 60mms (which autobounces most everything it faces directly at even 150s) like the strip of 40 all up and down the gun and the lower plate which appears to be pennable by IS7's if it's not depressed downwards. 263 can utilize city corridor maps very well and also be decent at sniping. While I still believe the STRV 103B will outperform the 263 DPG wise more often than not, 263 does have it's distinct advantages and with the proper plays can absolutely shit on enemy teams.

The HD model has made the mantlet cover all of the crew cabin now preventing people from shooting past it, usually by mistake since it's a narrow shot, and going straight into the crew cabin which tended to be devastating. I believe the mantlet was also thickened or perhaps angled as it seems to have slightly more effective armor when viewed in tanks.gg or tank viewer.

1 hour ago, KruggWulf said:

Okay, I'm going to apologize for coming off like that, wasn't in the best of moods, I'm sorry. But my initial opinion still stands, 263 is actually quite 'competitive' in pubs, if anything can be 'competitive' in a pub match. It out does the STRV in a lot of situations that involve fighting heavies where there isn't ample room and space to be away from them as they tend to have guns that will pen you in the places where the armor isn't 60mms (which autobounces most everything it faces directly at even 150s) like the strip of 40 all up and down the gun and the lower plate which appears to be pennable by IS7's if it's not depressed downwards. 263 can utilize city corridor maps very well and also be decent at sniping. While I still believe the STRV 103B will outperform the 263 DPG wise more often than not, 263 does have it's distinct advantages and with the proper plays can absolutely shit on enemy teams.

The HD model has made the mantlet cover all of the crew cabin now preventing people from shooting past it, usually by mistake since it's a narrow shot, and going straight into the crew cabin which tended to be devastating. I believe the mantlet was also thickened or perhaps angled as it seems to have slightly more effective armor when viewed in tanks.gg or tank viewer.

Strv is also awful at solo pubbing if compared to a med or heavy, it just outshines the 263 as a niche cw tank, that's all.

The 263 mantlet angle has been improved slightly quite a while ago, it's ~270 effective instead of 260.. it helps against rng credit pens a fair bit; but offers little resistance to premium ammo. The open superstructure is not that big an issue. The giant exposed engine deck is a far bigger problem. Potato E-100s that send a HE shell at you has a very high chance to inflict catastrophic module damage and fire. This issue has gone worse with all these japanese derps running around.

2 minutes ago, Hally said:

Strv is also awful at solo pubbing if compared to a med or heavy, it just outshines the 263 as a niche cw tank, that's all.

The 263 mantlet angle has been improved slightly quite a while ago, it's ~270 effective instead of 260.. it helps against rng credit pens a fair bit; but offers little resistance to premium ammo. The open superstructure is not that big an issue. The giant exposed engine deck is a far bigger problem. Potato E-100s that send a HE shell at you has a very high chance to inflict catastrophic module damage and fire. This issue has gone worse with all these japanese derps running around.

Oh, cw? Absolutely outshines it. Unless I misread, I thought you were talking about pubs mostly. My bad.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0