garryallen

What the heck are wg doing with the nameless?

72 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

Cant wait to see Foch's reaction

he doesn't have to. he's safe in the EU away from all the "fun" these VC tanks bring (to the paying few anyways)

 

1 hour ago, garryallen said:

Like 8 bit battles but anime battles? or where you actually have to buy tonks?

the TOG has sailed on using these tanks in some separate game mode like with 8-bit Winter Showdown (does anyone remember that?), i think having a Valkyria Chronicles game mode would've been far better. Throw in the Lupus from Blitz as well!

The VC game mode may require more work (*yawn*) on the developer's parts, but it could reap far more benefits in the long run by generating interest by both fans and non-fans of the VC series and thus draw in more interest, rather than just selling the tanks outright. and maybe only then after the game mode ends, if the players really do want to hang on to the tanks, then maybe then sell it in the premium shop.

the most promotion they seem to have done in-game was with a team tournament where you can have an opportunity to win a VC tank (not sure if either Edelweiss or Nameless)

The point is, they seem less invested in longer-term player retention, and are now in full-on machine-milking the cows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile random bloke inserts comment into a thread about KT balance on SEA forum noting that the top turret may not be historical. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE
WoT SEA updated the page regarding VC tanks in premium shop


NOTE - The crews of the Edelweiss and Nameless are unique, and have the following limitations:
  • Crew qualifications cannot be changed
  • Crew cannot be retrained for another tank, not even from the Edelweiss to the Nameless and vice versa
  • Crew personal data cannot be changed
  • Crew cannot be sent to the barracks, even when the tank is sold
  • Crew cannot be dismissed. However, if you sell the tank, you will be forced to dismiss the crew.
  • Crew cannot be recovered in-game after selling the tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not historical accuracy I have a problem with.  It's historical viability.  A tank with less sloping than a Defender but more armour and more mobile weighing 17 tons less?  Even in today's technology that is close to impossible, let alone the era the game is supposedly based in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Siggy said:

It's not historical accuracy I have a problem with.  It's historical viability.  A tank with less sloping than a Defender but more armour and more mobile weighing 17 tons less?  Even in today's technology that is close to impossible, let alone the era the game is supposedly based in.

 

If you mean the VC game these tanks originate from, back there it's pretty realistic because the enemies you face are still mucking around interwar tanks, their "Medium Tank" are just British Medium MK III with fancy paintjob, their "Heavy Tanks" is just a heavily modified Char B1. You don't really need much armor to survive what those tanks throw out.

As I posted back in the first page; it's the way it is because WG balance team wanted to put it in Tier 8 instead of Tier 6 - 7 where it truly belong according to the fluff of its original game. And that's what skewed its armor value to the ridiculousness we have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thepingman said:

 

If you mean the VC game these tanks originate from, back there it's pretty realistic because the enemies you face are still mucking around interwar tanks, their "Medium Tank" are just British Medium MK III with fancy paintjob, their "Heavy Tanks" is just a heavily modified Char B1. You don't really need much armor to survive what those tanks throw out.

As I posted back in the first page; it's the way it is because WG balance team wanted to put it in Tier 8 instead of Tier 6 - 7 where it truly belong according to the fluff of its original game. And that's what skewed its armor value to the ridiculousness we have now.

You assume WG have a balance team.

 

They only have bean counting teams. Their bean counters told them to make it tier 8 because making tier 6 premiums is too cost-prohibitive. Can't make anywhere near enough money so Ivan said to "Do whatever you need to make it a tier 8".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be an indication of a new WG monetization model.  Overall the company placed profit margin at the forefront. The game itself is just a tool in achieving that greater goal. The game has potential to evolve into a better version than it currently is, but developing that untapped potential  should not get in the way of maximizing profits. A good enough version of the game is sufficient to do the job. The account book has the final say.

I would not dispute their financial strats. It is fair enough for a company to want to maximize its profit. 

Just play the game as a game and realize at the same time that it will not be developed to the fullest as it should be. Attaching great emotion to a video game is unwise.

PS: I quite like how the anime tanks look. Sort of out of place I know, but it is appealing to the eye cos I am a anime fan.

( Edit: PS added )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kaffee said:

It could be an indication of a new WG monetization model.  Overall the company placed profit margin at the forefront. The game itself is just a tool in achieving that greater goal. The game has potential to evolve into a better version than it currently is, but developing that untapped potential  should not get in the way of maximizing profits. A good enough version of the game is sufficient to do the job. The account book has the final say.

I would not dispute their financial strats. It is fair enough for a company to want to maximize its profit. 

Just play the game as a game and realize at the same time that it will not be developed to the fullest as it should be. Attaching great emotion to a video game is unwise.

PS: I quite like how the anime tanks look. Sort of out of place I know, but it is appealing to the eye cos I am a anime fan.

( Edit: PS added )

 

It's a fair point - clearly their shift to overt P2W hasn't hurt them - or not enough to dissuade them release more broken shit - so i they'll no doubt keep doing it. It's only when enough of the player base gets fed up enough to genuinely stop playing that they'll start to notice. Or probably to be more precise - when enough of their paying player base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ezz said:

It's a fair point - clearly their shift to overt P2W hasn't hurt them - or not enough to dissuade them release more broken shit - so i they'll no doubt keep doing it. It's only when enough of the player base gets fed up enough to genuinely stop playing that they'll start to notice. Or probably to be more precise - when enough of their paying player base.

No international company worth their salt would issue any new policy without through assessment first. So the question should be directed at the market analysts they employed instead. Questioning them why they concluded that P2W model is the best way to go. It's all about business after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thepingman said:

No international company worth their salt would issue any new policy without through assessment first. So the question should be directed at the market analysts they employed instead. Questioning them why they concluded that P2W model is the best way to go.

Absolutely. And better to build the game as a competitive F2P then switch to a more aggressive monetisation strategy once the brand's growth has slowed / plateaued. It's pretty basic stuff and not surprising to be honest. That doesn't make it appear any better to those that fell in love with the game based on its F2P roots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with most of the opinions about this tank in the thread. I don't have any problems with fictional tanks being in the game, but this one doesn't fit with WoT. I wouldn't want a Halo tank, or a steampunk tank, and I wouldn't want these VC tanks either. They look too cartoonish and clash with the aesthetic design of the game. The KV-5 may be an ugly napkin tank, but god damn does it look beautiful when you put it on the battlefield alongside other armored vehicles.

As for the strength of this vehicle, it's not exactly a surprise considering how much money the new premium policy is for WG. But they've taken it farther. It's another step towards the ledge. Gentlemen, we have reached Ludicrous speed. Will this game be able to survive going plaid?

fgCtLul.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Special modes of the past; (edited thanks to @garryallen)

1. Karl.

2. Eight bit winter mode (blocks map three tanks). Christmas 2014. (one is “Mammoth” – boxy T110E5, second is “Raider” – in English it’s called “Arctic Fox” for some reason and it’s based on T-50-2, third is “Berserker” – in English “Polar Bear” and it’s based on Foch 155). Patch 9.5

3. Chaffee racing.

4. Football game.

5. Trench Warfare. Celebrating 100 years of tanks. First world war escort. Convoy.

6. IS8 ball - April Fool's 2016. (added at edit)

(Blitz - did a Hallowen ghost mode).

(xbox360 - did a lunar chaffee mode).

Did I miss any?

Valkyrie chronicles tanks, could clearly not look out of place when placed against some of those special modes. For that matter any fantasy/ steampunk/warhammer tanks could also be played in a special mode.

 

But normal server. Just NO. On that point I agree with the above points made by @GehakteMolen. Can I afford to buy any premium tank I want to buy? Yes a few hundred pounds on a game is trivial money for me. Did I buy Patriot, Mle.C0ck, or Defender? No (mainly because I hated the skins when they were first released). I would not buy Nameless/Edleweiss either, no matter how OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, arthurwellsley said:

Did I miss any?

HOW COULD YOU MISS IS8 BALL... that was fun, completely unrealistic, and a perfect example of how wg should have implemented valkyria chronicles into the game. in a setting that makes sense to the tanks. releasing these tanks into the game is kinda like if wg released the is8 ball into randoms- it makes you question WHY WG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, garryallen said:

HOW COULD YOU MISS IS8 BALL... that was fun, completely unrealistic, and a perfect example of how wg should have implemented valkyria chronicles into the game. in a setting that makes sense to the tanks. releasing these tanks into the game is kinda like if wg released the is8 ball into randoms- it makes you question WHY WG?

Because fantasy tanks are easy to balance. The parameters are all made up and you can effortlessly inset them to the targeted tiers and classes, it is a breeze compared to the restrictions imposed on blueprint tanks. The problem with Premium Tanks conveyor system is that pretty soon you are gonna face the problem of candidate scarcity. Fantasy tanks opens up another source AND a free hand in balancing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kaffee said:

Because fantasy tanks are easy to balance. The parameters are all made up and you can effortlessly inset them to the targeted tiers and classes, it is a breeze compared to the restrictions imposed on blueprint tanks. The problem with Premium Tanks conveyor system is that pretty soon you are gonna face the problems of candidate scarcity. Fantasy tanks opens up another source AND a free hand in balancing.

You say that but WG have decided to ignore the laws of physics with their implementation of the VC tanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

You say that but WG have decided to ignore the laws of physics with their implementation of the VC tanks. 

Ya, probably testing the water with the VCs. Also testing the playerbase's tolerance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kaffee said:

Ya, probably testing the water with the VCs. Also testing the playerbase's tolerance. 

They "tested" the playerbase's tolerance with the most recent premium tanks released and it blew up badly. However, i think the community is generally at the same level that I recently arrived at, apathy. We just do not care anymore and are, at best, playing the game out of habit at this point. I can't even remember the last time I grinded a tank or even went for randoms when I wasn't waiting for a CW-battle to pop up. The game already lost a huge majority of it's long term players (in particular the upper tiers) and it ain't getting better with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding an OP premium tank is a sin.

As if it is not enough, added tank is an anime tank, so it adds to the insult.

I think I should sell all of my tanks including premiums and just leave 2-3 handful tanks for fun and play once a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, thepingman said:

Before they make that thing, they should make turret gun on M3 Lee/Grant and Hull howitzer on Char B1 and its palette swap works first, because who in their right mind will buy that thing when 4 other guns can't shoot? It'll be a powercreeped TOGII* at best.

 

Just make the rocket launcher main gun and problem solved, Russian Katyusha used 132mm rockets with 4.9 kg of HE (a bit worse as 152mm HE we have in wot) with 24 rockets this should be ok for a russian heavy

Or a 300mm rocket, with 29kg of HE, (a 203mm shell has ~9-10 kg of HE filler) with either, 4, 8 or 12 rockets, but since the picture clearly shows more as 4, we need 12, 12x an 300mm HE shell sounds decent, its a big tank with bad camo afterall!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

Just make the rocket launcher main gun and problem solved, Russian Katyusha used 132mm rockets with 4.9 kg of HE (a bit worse as 152mm HE we have in wot) with 24 rockets this should be ok for a russian heavy

Or a 300mm rocket, with 29kg of HE, (a 203mm shell has ~9-10 kg of HE filler) with either, 4, 8 or 12 rockets, but since the picture clearly shows more as 4, we need 12, 12x an 300mm HE shell sounds decent, its a big tank with bad camo afterall!!

 

I still want to see the Lee, and many multi-gun tanks has all their gun working first. Wargaming promised that for years now. And in my opinion, it'll be adding new content to the game without having to get another "blueprint tank" or "imaginary tank" into the game like they did right now.

But then again, who am I, and who are you to question the result of market study conducted by qualified expert market analysts that Wargaming employed? They said to Wargaming CEOs that adding imaginary tank, even one from other fiction works, is the way to make profit, so Wargaming going to do just that, they're not charity organization after all.

Unless both of us have certificate in the expertise of market study and conducted a through research that yield result contradict to their market analysts to shove it in Wargaming's face, we're going to see more of these in the future, and nothing we do will stop that, not unless we can lobby more than 50% of player base from every server to protest as a "contradictory result" with their market study.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.