Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MagicalFlyingFox

Tier 8 Matchmaking across servers

19 posts in this topic

Just posting this thread to get a feel for how the new Matchmaking system has been treating tier 8s. 

On the Asia server, tier 8s have been completely and utterly shafted by the matchmaker, where they are only top tier ~20% of the time so far including 1 tier only games and 50% of games bottom tier.

The data has collated ~700 games in tier 8. 

The data supports the anecdotal evidence of most players on the server. 

(link to thread with data: http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/73898-mm-socks-an-appeal-for-data/ )

How good/bad is it anecdotally or hopefully statistically on other servers? 

I had been trying to grind my TVP VTU in this MM.... possibly some of the least enjoyable gaming I've ever done

8 minutes ago, Minderbinder said:

I had been trying to grind my TVP VTU in this MM.... possibly some of the least enjoyable gaming I've ever done

But the tvp vtu is the best counter for defenders according to WG

46 minutes ago, nabucodonsor said:

It is i swear... mad cuz bad

100% the defender counter

No really :P 

2 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

They didnt actually say this... did they?

I haven't played a whole lot, but mm has pretty much sucked as of lately.

14 minutes ago, skyf24 said:

They didnt actually say this... did they?

I haven't played a whole lot, but mm has pretty much sucked as of lately.

"The Defender isn't OP, You're a much better player than me and you'd kill me 9 out of 10 times with you in a TVP and me in a Defender, and the TVP isn't regarded as that great of a tank"

-From WGL Finals in conversation between two developers. 

They might have taken down the video, I can't find it.

Nope its on Facebook.

Not sure if ephalba was parroting a company line or not but his words on whether something is balanced or not...

"  My general take on tanks deemed OP is that if you don't have the skill to use it, it will suck for you no matter how OP other people think they are. "

Thankfully i don't think he's on the balance team.

6 hours ago, skyf24 said:

jesus christ. who buys prem rounds with gold? 

Who forgets to switch :MingLee:

Also @MagicalFlyingFox mm is screwed in all servers, the abundance of tier 8 premiums and high tier (9, 10) tanks in queue, with the new 3-5-7 rule, has fucked over anyone who enjoys playing tier 8s..

A general rule of thumb for the current MM algorithm:

For tier 5-8 random battle:

50% +2

30% +1

20% +0

would you want to invest in a game that more than half the time put you in a severe disadvantage? 

translated to plain talk, it means more than half the time :

1) you have to face 8 tanks which have higher hp and dmg output than yours.

2) Incompetent top tiers that will render you even less effective. Approximately 20% of the playerbase is competent, and 40% moronic. so chances of morons as your top tier is far higher, which resulted in chances of winning not based on skill but rather which team has more incompetent top/mid tiers.

Is that the definition of fun for an average Joe grinding his way up?

I quit the game until WG is finally willing to tackle the one glaring problem with all that: bottom tier tanks are mostly just cattle for the top tiers.

In Warships almost every ship can be very dangerous to any other ship via torps or the HE mechanic. Also a destroyer has 12k hitpoints at tier V and 20k at tier X. Thats about the difference in five tiers that WoT has in two tiers...

But putting a VK3601H vs an IS-3 is simply a bad joke. This joke works however because the pubbies that get beaten to a fine red pulp at tier X can hop into their tier VIII and like 10 games later they will have one good game almost by default. And thus tier balance will not change as long as the pubbies are happy to rule once every 10 games.

39 minutes ago, Kaffee said:

50% +2

30% +1

20% +0

You say that but that is just wrong.

It may be the case for tier 8 but tier 7 for example is a dream.

I hate grinding my O-Ho right now. 

For tier 8s on SEA, how's the Nameless doing? Is it as OP as the youtube videos indicate?

38 minutes ago, 7722 said:

For tier 8s on SEA, how's the Nameless doing? Is it as OP as the youtube videos indicate?

Judge for yourself. Do not trust the fellow who kept stressing he spent 90 pounds in producing the content.

Asia server Nameless and Edelweiss gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3mAiAqUIGs

6 hours ago, Kaffee said:

50% +2

30% +1

20% +0

My last tier 6 grind spent 8% at +0. Completely and totally at the mercy of the top half of your team.

It was so much fun I sold off all my collection of tier 6 tanks. (Saved $30 not buying the Fury, too. Well played, WG.)

In theory it works well, in practice the mm is flooded by tier 8 prem tanks (like more as half the tier 8 tanks you see are prems, if not more...), combine with ppl grinding light tanks and you get crap mm

If WG had added some tier 7 prems and not released like 10 prems the last half year, it would have been fine....

ps: + due to most games haveing roughly the same set up:

• 7 tier 8,
  • 5 tier 9
  • 3 tier 10

It gets quite dull...

ps ps: and for those who cant count, 3-5-7 mm means you 7/15 bottom tier so ~45% while 30% middle and 25% top, due to lack of tier 9`s, i suspect it will be more like 25-25-50 right now, this is not design fail, this was on purpose... 

ps ps ps: only solution is to roll back mm AND mega nerf all tier 9 and 10 + buff many low tier trash tanks, somethign WG wont ever do....

On NA west, if solopubbing in a non-pref tier 8 in offpeak hours... 80%+ in a 3/5/7 match with tier 10s. Great for farming 3 marks on TDs, sucks if you are alergic to 10s like the ghetto t8 meds. The server is extremely top heavy in tier 10s in the offpeak hours for some reason. Full 10 battles are pretty common if you drive a tier 10.

Out of my past 670 games in tier 8, at least less than 90 have been in top tier.

On 2017-6-21 at 7:03 AM, GehakteMolen said:

In theory it works well, in practice the mm is flooded by tier 8 prem tanks (like more as half the tier 8 tanks you see are prems, if not more...), combine with ppl grinding light tanks and you get crap mm

If WG had added some tier 7 prems and not released like 10 prems the last half year, it would have been fine....

ps: + due to most games haveing roughly the same set up:

• 7 tier 8,
  • 5 tier 9
  • 3 tier 10

It gets quite dull...

ps ps: and for those who cant count, 3-5-7 mm means you 7/15 bottom tier so ~45% while 30% middle and 25% top, due to lack of tier 9`s, i suspect it will be more like 25-25-50 right now, this is not design fail, this was on purpose... 

ps ps ps: only solution is to roll back mm AND mega nerf all tier 9 and 10 + buff many low tier trash tanks, somethign WG wont ever do....

I posted this on the official forum, but its still relevant and related to this

The issue why 3-5-7 is screwing tier 8 is because tier 9s are only seeing up to 5 tier 10s instead of up to 8 which is what should happen. There are 3 templates, there is 3-5-7, 5-10 and 15. That doesn't work when there is a roof, all it does is drag the tier that is 2 down (8s) up. 

Basically, every tier that can meet the full spread will be either top tier, or meet up to 8 tanks higher tier than it. Those limited to +1 will only meet up to 5. 

There needs to a compromise in tier 9 to help alleviate some of the imbalance. It probably won't completely return it to the 33.3% norm for tier 8s, but it should at least* skew tier 8 MM a bit closer to the expected norm.

Straight copy+pasted, but I am of the opinion that tier 9s need to be able to see more than 5 tier 10s which is the most that can happen now. Whether it be up to 8 or up to 10, wouldn't that alleviate some of the strain in tier 8? 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0