FlorbFnarb

So what did you guys pick up at the Steam sale?

60 posts in this topic

I grabbed the Homeworld Remastered Collection, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, and Witcher 3.

Slime rancher.  It's a ton of fun; a smaller indie game in early access.

Worms Armageddon for the memories

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor GOTY

The Room

The Room Two

--- short (2-3h) point&click puzzle games where you open boxes. each were only 2.5€, so I enjoyed them

SpaceChem

--- task is to make molecules from atoms in reactors. you learn all the mechanics in 5 minutes, so it is very easy to get into, and designing the reactors and having them work efficiently is very satisfying. I have only played through the first few worlds, but I heard the puzzles will get really hard. would recommend at 2.5€

SOMA

--- lame

Just now, Fulvin said:

SOMA

--- lame

Can't you get a refund within a certain window of time?

Hyper Light Drifter, Tabletop sim, and Just Cause 3 (which I found out that the fucking fov unlocker tool doesn't work so fucking rip that shit is getting refunded)

Just now, FlorbFnarb said:

Can't you get a refund within a certain window of time?

I did finish the game, so refunding it now would be a rotten thing to do. I think you must have played under two hours to be able to refund anyway, and I am past that.

Just now, Fulvin said:

I did finish the game, so refunding it now would be a rotten thing to do. I think you must have played under two hours to be able to refund anyway, and I am past that.

Ah, got it.  I thought it was a certain number of days.  I agree finishing the game then returning it would be bad.

I got the Crimson Court DLC for Darkest Dungeon.  The game has really been expanded since release, lots of mods in the workshop and excellent integration of mods and DLC options in-game.  They are offering a discount on the original if you get the DLC - it's a hard and frustrating game, but definitely worth feeling of success when you finish the game.

Shadow of Mordor GOTY

COH 2 

Castle Crashers + battleblock theater 

nothing, though I got gifted Transport Fever by a friend (quite fun, but quite an early learning curve)

Shadows of Mordor - a decent game but i'm at the 'this is a bit easy and repetitive' stage (after many hours mind you)

Curious on Witcher 3 vs Skyrim (haven't played either, nor an RPG in years)

25 minutes ago, Ezz said:

Curious on Witcher 3 vs Skyrim

In general from my experience, Witcher is more story while Skyrim is more exploration. Skyrim in particular shines you get into modding, some of the larger ones add 2/3 times the base content in and significantly increase the replay potential. Both are worth it IMO, but it depends if you prefer an out-of-box experience or a more "artistic" one.

7 minutes ago, Covalent said:

In general from my experience, Witcher is more story while Skyrim is more exploration. Skyrim in particular shines you get into modding, some of the larger ones add 2/3 times the base content in and significantly increase the replay potential. Both are worth it IMO, but it depends if you prefer an out-of-box experience or a more "artistic" one.

(and sorry to diverge too much from topic) But is that modded extra stuff the stuff they bundle with the skyrim 'special edition'?

39 minutes ago, Ezz said:

W3 is narrative-driven with mods focusing on improving existing gameplay and changing existing content; Skyrim is a platform for you to mod it to hell and back until it fits YOUR gameplay expectations, for every single aspect of gameplay. Both games are meant for you to mod it until it breaks, then modding it more to unbreak it. Modding Skyrim will end up with you spending more time on mods than actually playing the game.

Don't get Special Edition unless you want to enjoy a lack of gamechanging mods (until the SKSE comes out, if ever), in which case you might as well play vanilla Skyrim.

-----

Got myself Halo Wars, Everspace, This War of Mine. Halo Wars is a regrettable purchase since the controls are so god damn janky. Everspace is pure sex on eyes.

58 minutes ago, Ezz said:

Shadows of Mordor - a decent game but i'm at the 'this is a bit easy and repetitive' stage (after many hours mind you)

I've played Skyrim since it came out, just got Witcher.  Both look great.

33 minutes ago, Covalent said:

Agreed.  Skyrim's vanilla graphics aren't quite the equal of Witcher 3's out of the box, since it's several years older, but both are awesome.

Skyrim is really a must-buy, IMO.  Get a solid mental concept of the type of character you want to play, and play the first playthrough completely vanilla.  Starting with the second playthrough mod it to hell.  Learn how to use the various third party modding tools to be able to use the most mods with the most compatibility.

Witcher 3 does look really solid though.

25 minutes ago, Ezz said:

(and sorry to diverge too much from topic) But is that modded extra stuff the stuff they bundle with the skyrim 'special edition'?

Nope.  Special Edition is basically a version they made to use more modern computers' memory and graphics abilities - but you can mod original Skyrim to look as good or even better than you can Special Edition, to give you the short version.  The stuff bundled with the Special Edition - you're probably seeing the DLC packages they put out.

21 minutes ago, Haswell said:

W3 is narrative-driven with mods focusing on improving existing gameplay and changing existing content; Skyrim is a platform for you to mod it to hell and back until it fits YOUR gameplay expectations, for every single aspect of gameplay. Both games are meant for you to mod it until it breaks, then modding it more to unbreak it. Modding Skyrim will end up with you spending more time on mods than actually playing the game.

Don't get Special Edition unless you want to enjoy a lack of gamechanging mods (until the SKSE comes out, if ever), in which case you might as well play vanilla Skyrim.

-----

Got myself Halo Wars, Everspace, This War of Mine. Halo Wars is a regrettable purchase since the controls are so god damn janky. Everspace is pure sex on eyes.

Yeah, I agree on skipping SE.  At this point I'm skeptical SKSE will ever come out for SE.

there are to many games on sale that i wanted but i had to limit myself or else i would spend 100's of $ in one go lol but these are what i picked up

Portal 2, Insurgency, Grim Dawn, Deus Ex HR Directors Cut, American Truck Sim and BeamNG.drive

3 hours ago, Ezz said:

Witcher 3 and it's DLC's  is the easily the best game i've ever played. The story is simply amazing,graphics are great, theres tons to do,DLCs are orgasmic, there's hot chicks to bang. The worst part of the game is probably the combat which is still great and challenging. 

I just picked up Darkest Dungeon and the child expansion for This War of Mine.

Actually I had bought DD a year ago but refunded due to crash bug. I hope this time the issue was sorted. It was a shame I really enjoyed the first 2 hours last time.

59 minutes ago, yoyoya2 said:

Witcher 3 and it's DLC's  is the easily the best game i've ever played.

B&W is easily the best DLC for any game released in the past decade, the whole over-the-top fantasy setting contrasting with the grimdark W3 story with a ton of references to the novels. HoS still takes the crown for having the best original story though.

If I have to rank the game, B&W >= HoS > main story.

1 hour ago, yoyoya2 said:

The worst part of the game is probably the combat which is still great and challenging. 

That's why I modded the living shit out of the game. Currently on NG+ with lvl 130 quests :cri:

I got Civilization V! The complete bundle is 94% off.

Grabbed Prison Architect, Company of Heroes, and may pick up the Borderlands collection since it's so damn cheap, and maybe CoH2

I snatched up Witcher 3 and ... South Park.

I am debating on Endless Legend, Dishonored 2, Pillars, and Tyranny. Anyone have thoughts on these?

Chalk up another witcher 3 (thanks to the above input)