FlorbFnarb

So what did you guys pick up at the Steam sale?

60 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Fulvin said:

SOMA

--- lame

I actually liked SOMA. It was definitely very easy without much action, but the story was deep with some nice twists. It was a good addition to that first-person horror, atmosphere-driven genre - very similar to Amnesia (which I also liked).

What's a good theme parc creation game right now ? 

Looking at picking up Mount and Blade: Warband because it looks hilarious from what I've seen (a couple Jingles videos). Is the multiplayer community still large enough to support it?

7 hours ago, yoyoya2 said:

Witcher 3 and it's DLC's  is the easily the best game i've ever played. The story is simply amazing,graphics are great, theres tons to do,DLCs are orgasmic, there's hot chicks to bang. The worst part of the game is probably the combat which is still great and challenging. 

Huge Witcher games fanboy so concur with above assessment. I quite liked the combat though, although once you get high level enough, I agree that it gets pretty easy. I found that you had to limit alchemy and signs if you didn't want to become OP too quickly. The worst part of the game was that it ended after Blood and Wine and there are no more games or expansions or DLC or further content or... damnit, I want another Witcher game... :cri:

To those wondering about comparison with Skyrim - Skyrim is a sandbox, whereas Witcher 3 is a character and narrative-driven work, with the 3rd game just happening to be set in an open world. That's the main difference, and it drives everything else. As open world is thus pretty much all they have in common, I have to say that Witcher 3 is way better than Skyrim, because the quests out there are just flat out more interesting and engaging, but Skyrim feels a tad more 'expansive' when exploring (Witcher 3 feels a little cramped, size-wise).

For those that just picked it up, if you haven't played the first two Witcher games, I highly recommend them before you play the Witcher 3 as it adds a lot more to the experience due to the character and narrative continuity. Plus, they're both great games in their own right.

Oh.. right the topic, saw Witcher 3 references and got all excited...

Uhm, didn't buy anything. Not much time (or money) to put towards gaming these days, so I'm pretty much stuck with tanks.

i caved in and bought the Cities: Skylies Snowfall expansion for the damn trams...

Also bought Arma 3 APEX bundle, the valve collection and Gary's Mod... 

:(

I've had witcher 3 for a while, and can concur: its absolutely amazing. I've got 30 hours at least in it (with maybe 10 more not logged while offline) and im nowhere even close to finishing it. and this is base game, not even the DLC. its absolutely incredible. you will get HOURS of love from it, and the graphics are just breathtaking. you never understand how having the ENTIRE ground covered in proper foliage, with realistic physics through wind and everything changes the entire immersion of the game until you see it for yourself. 

3 hours ago, Balthazars said:

For those that just picked it up, if you haven't played the first two Witcher games, I highly recommend them before you play the Witcher 3 as it adds a lot more to the experience due to the character and narrative continuity. Plus, they're both great games in their own right.

Thanks for the tip - the bundle for all three was almost the same price as for W3 alone.

I picked up automation, panzermadels, and stay stay pdrk, although there might be shitgifting involved.

8 hours ago, Balthazars said:

I found that you had to limit alchemy and signs if you didn't want to become OP too quickly.

Mods are your friends, though I can safely say even with my current Euphoria-based combat build it's a challenge to not die against... wolves.

Level 100 Geraldo fighting level 105 wolves, every single time. Quen is the only sign that actually keeps me alive, Aard knockback hardly works.

Antichamber (made my brain hurt which is good)

Assassin's Creed Syndicate (last one in the series for me to play so got it now)

Downward (Kitten recommended, reminds me of Mirror's Edge so obviously great)

Various FF ports

Sonic Generations (For nostalgia, and surprisingly fun platforming)

Steep (Haven't tried it yet, really missing a good snowboard game ever since SSX3)

Anybody have money left over for Wargaming.net? 

$200 world of Warship bundle!

3 hours ago, Invictus said:

Anybody have money left over for Wargaming.net? 

$200 world of Warship bundle!

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

nah, they're buffing some more op shit. 

On 30.06.2017 at 6:23 AM, Haswell said:

HoS still takes the crown for having the best original story though.

You lost one point - HoS has David B. as a main NPC :D

CiXf5TxUYAEy7IM.jpg

On 30.06.2017 at 6:23 AM, Haswell said:

If I have to rank the game, B&W >= HoS > main story.

Unfortunately main story has some inaccuracies but still is a great thing though.

40 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

Unfortunately main story has some inaccuracies but still is a great thing though.

CDPR basically took creative liberties with W1/2/3 and strayed away from the novels, but W3 made the most sense out of all three games because of the whole focus on the Ciri saga. First two games basically had you derp around with amnesia which made even less sense (Geralt et al being part of the Wild Hunt wasn't even part of the books). Ignoring the inconsistencies and seeing the story solely as Geralt/Yen trying to find Ciri again after she saved them from the pitchforks made it more bearable.

Don't even bring up the topic of Triss and how CDPR basically forced her on you for two games in a row despite being a supporting cast in the books all the way through. Yen was introduced back into the game (directly, not hints and stuff) too late.

Wild Hunt in W1 is just pure brainfuck worthy of quitting the game the moment you see them.

5 hours ago, Haswell said:

CDPR basically took creative liberties with W1/2/3 and strayed away from the novels, but W3 made the most sense out of all three games because of the whole focus on the Ciri saga. First two games basically had you derp around with amnesia which made even less sense (Geralt et al being part of the Wild Hunt wasn't even part of the books). Ignoring the inconsistencies and seeing the story solely as Geralt/Yen trying to find Ciri again after she saved them from the pitchforks made it more bearable.

Don't even bring up the topic of Triss and how CDPR basically forced her on you for two games in a row despite being a supporting cast in the books all the way through. Yen was introduced back into the game (directly, not hints and stuff) too late.

Wild Hunt in W1 is just pure brainfuck worthy of quitting the game the moment you see them.

1. According to CDPRED victims of Wild Hunt had amnesia from magic (at least Yen and Geralt). It makes sense for  certain level. 

Yeah, Geralt wasn't a part of WH because story in games takes place several years after Rivia massacre.

2. That was a plan - Triss had an affair with Geralt (in the very last chapter Yen was raging at her because of that). Without Yen Triss was able to get Geralt for herself. That's why she did not tell him his story - not a single word. 120% bitch. 

3. It was weird but Sapkowski mentioned at least once that WH uses wraiths too (for example what happened to Ciri before Thanedd).

Picked up my missing DLC for Age of Empires 2, grabbed all of Civ 5's DLC, bought Shadow of Mordor like everyone else, Rocket League, and Black Desert Online. I think that was $45 or so? There's a lot more I wanted to get, but I'd need to work some more street corners if I want it...

On 6/30/2017 at 6:42 PM, DHP said:

What's a good theme parc creation game right now ? 

Planet Coaster is pretty damn solid.  I have it and enjoy it.  TONS of customization if that's your thing, and lots of assets available on the workshop.

21 hours ago, Haswell said:

At the risk of total derailment...

Full disclosure: I've not read the books (although read quite a bit about them after playing the first game).

I totally get why CDPR took the creative liberties with the story and departed from the novels where they did. It makes sense, the games are a continuation of the general story but they had to put some room in there for player choice (it is supposed to be a role-playing game) and they obviously would have their own personal takes on continuing Sapkowski's work, creative liberties is sort of a given. I know it's controversial for a lot of reasons, but taking Yen out was probably part of that, if she was in the game from the beginning of the series a large chunk of player 'choice' wouldn't have been there.

I also get why not having Yen and Ciri from the first game helped them build their overall story to a climax. If they're there from the beginning, it would simply be Geralt searching desperately for Yen and possibly Ciri to try and fix everything. While it would work well for those that knew the books, newcomers to the series would not have much context. The amnesia and gradual reveal helps build that context for those not familiar with the books while also giving CDPR the 'wriggle room' to make departures from the novels where they felt it was appropriate for the games they wanted to make and the story they wanted to tell.

Narrative-wise, I feel Witcher 1 is the weakest, while I actually feel Witcher 2 is the strongest. The setting and gameplay from Witcher 3 is my favourite, but in terms of story the second game wins out for me. Witcher 3's main narrative problem is that Eredin is about as pathetically bland a villain you'll find in an RPG and they turned the other main antagonist - Radovid - into an irredeemable nutcase. The only decent antagonists in the game are the Crones.

And yes, I do agree that the way they portrayed the Wild Hunt in Witcher 1 made no sense (worst thing story-wise about the first game, in my opinion).

@Balthazars

Eredin is not a typical villain. W3 is not about defeating him and Wild Hunt but about Geralt's relationship with Ciri. Eredin is just a bad guy who wants to hurt Ciri so he has to die.