nabucodonsor

Slava, Cyprus and Na.Vi: a changing point for wot?

18 posts in this topic

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/07/07/summer-transfer-at-wargaming/

So Slava is getting promoted to head of Minsk office (the guy behind sandbox and who said that arty is for autistic people (not untrue I suppose)) after Navi's retirement from eSports. Players from the team will be invited to discuss the matter in Cyprus. Slava will make Alex Gorbachenko to fix CW and ESL.

Any thoughts? Apart from removing 25% RNG?

The department will be an outsourced one.

This is interesting as it could be either really good or really fucking trash. Either you get devs that know what they are doing or devs that are even more so disconnected by the game.

Hopefully, they listen to the Russian pro players. 

Who am I kidding though, its WG. 

honestly this game needs a complete re balance, far too many tanks have been "poowercreeped" to say the least

and a better equipment system that isn't just "improved" which adds all sorts of stupid (really if they weren't so lazy, they could've made tank skin rewards for bonds, but nah, breaking the game is how you entice people to play ranked, another lazy design subjeect)

really if it were more then the same few tanks and equipment load outs weren't so predictable, i could imagine WoT as a good E sport with good variety, not on DOTA levels, but still substantially better

also like you said RNG fix and removing arty would be great

4 minutes ago, Rspctd said:

This is interesting as it could be either really good or really fucking trash. Either you get devs that know what they are doing or devs that are even more so disconnected by the game.

Hopefully, they listen to the Russian pro players. 

Who am I kidding though, its WG. 

from what i heard from last year's meet the dev (i was there in person) they hired american devs with more experience; so outsourcing may actually be a good thing

All you really need to know about the engagement level of upper management at MoonBase 1.0

" The withdrawal of Natus Vincere (Na.Vi) from WoT confused the management in Cyprus. "

I mean FFS WG, the esports community has been telling you for years that your product is shit for competitive players and all you keep doing is adding Chrysler K and Paris map.

6 hours ago, lordawesome7 said:

honestly this game needs a complete re balance, far too many tanks have been "powercreeped" to say the least

the fact that the IS-7 needs a buff says ALOT. They just keep buffing, never really nerfing the stuff that is OP, so its an ever escalating curve with no end insight 

38 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

the fact that the IS-7 needs a buff says ALOT. They just keep buffing, never really nerfing the stuff that is OP, so its an ever escalating curve with no end insight 

From a financial standpoint it makes a lot of sense. Buffing means people get excited for a tank so they spend money to get it. The problem is it's a shortsighted view but 99% of the businesses are short sighted nowadays 

3 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

All you really need to know about the engagement level of upper management at MoonBase 1.0

" The withdrawal of Natus Vincere (Na.Vi) from WoT confused the management in Cyprus. "

I mean FFS WG, the esports community has been telling you for years that your product is shit for competitive players and all you keep doing is adding Chrysler K and Paris map.

To be fair, I suspect Na'Vi has been operating on a loss for quite a few seasons now. With no fan-base there is no reason for them to even continue even whilst operating on losses. Furthermore with no advancements in the e-sports scene (be it the fan-base, prize pool, or teams), there is little point in investing so much in a scene that is doomed to fail. I think Na'Vi was hoping WarGaming would do something for e-sports but soon came to realize the hope never existed.

This is from the Na'Vi website (http://read.navi-gaming.com/en/team_news/natus_vincere_release_wot_roster):

Unfortunately, over the past three years World of Tanks hasn't been developing as an eSports title: there's been no increase in tournament quantity and prize pools. Meanwhile, many grand organizations of the discipline released their teams: Russian Federation Virtus.proInternational FnaticInternational PENTA SportsGermany mousesportsUkraine Hellraisers and others.

Yevhen Zolotarov, CEO Natus Vincere:

"Sometimes to move forward you need to make hard decisions: today we bid farewell to World of Tanks discipline. Over the past 4 years, the tankers have become the inalienable part of our eSports club. They've been always performing at the highest level. We can say that this roster has been the most consistent in the history of our organization. However, despite the successes and hard work of the players, eSports of WoT hasn't moved forward from where it was back in 2013. I perfectly understand that the game is a successful business project. Probably Wargaming is good with current situation, but we cannot operate in the discipline, which has only 4 tournaments per year and no support is provided by a publisher.

I'd like to express gratitude to every player for their loyalty and the contribution to the development of Natus Vincere project. You are real professionals and we've always enjoyed working with you. I hope you'll continue playing together. GL & HF"

Meanwhile you look at League of Legends, which has recently made a move to franchise their e-sports in a manner similar to the NBA.

6 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

Slava will make Alex Gorbachenko to fix CW and ESL.

inb4 Gorbachenko becomes the Gorbachev of CW

As long as it's the same tanks over and over again and on the same maps with the same tactics due to the same tanks over and over again, ESL is completely uninteresting. Forget the RNG, that is fine,if only you could go about the match in different ways other than Russian Medium Spam, Maus Spam or Defender Spam.

31 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

As long as it's the same tanks over and over again and on the same maps with the same tactics due to the same tanks over and over again, ESL is completely uninteresting. Forget the RNG, that is fine,if only you could go about the match in different ways other than Russian Medium Spam, Maus Spam or Defender Spam.

NA had the 2 tank limit and that made for interesting comps.

4 hours ago, hazzgar said:

From a financial standpoint it makes a lot of sense. Buffing means people get excited for a tank so they spend money to get it. The problem is it's a shortsighted view but 99% of the businesses are short sighted nowadays 

I recall in one of the old Q&A things with Storm and SerB from ye olden days where they say pretty much that.  Nerfing tanks is bad for money, people see their favorite tank become worse or the vehicle they're working towards is no longer appealing.  Buffs make the owners of said tank happy and encourages others to get one as well.

Only buffing vehicles to be on roughly the same level as other more powerful or straight out overpowered ones would be nice and dandy, if they actually got their thumbs out of their arse and did it on a broad level. Instead it's patch-work here and there and usually it includes fiddling with vehicles that are far from being the worst outliers (hello IS 7 and T54 for example) and then outright overbuffing them while they are at it (hello Maus). At this point in time, I would not be surprised if they buffed the IS3 because of Defender, before even looking at a, let's say Caernarvon.

Of course this leads to the bizare conclusion, that even ahistorical armor is fair game, due to as long as only guns and mobilty are viable balancing parameters, vehicles that are about armor are loosing their point, but that is a corner they built themselves into and it's their decission what to do with it. Personally I think, they should just bite into the fucking lemon and nerf where it is needed, even if premium. It gets a bit silly when "being premium tank" makes them sacrosanct against balancing measures, that are supposed to help the overall game. Their customer base are, unfortunately, a bunch of arseholes, so of course they won't do that. All the more reason for developing WoT 2.0 and this time, actually thinking about what you are doing before you are doing it. Alternatively, they can always kick these tanks up a tier or give them limited match-making, except it's not capped upwards but downwards. That 252s are going to be a problem was foreseeable even with the old matchmaking and it should have been painfully obvious with the new matchmaking coming up at the same time. Fuck me, how could they be so stupid.

I'd still love to know, whose brainchild 252U and Co are. That guy or these guys, should be publically shamed and declared pariahs for the entirety of the industry.

tbf its not like the defender and chrysler are much of a problem anymore since they're fighting tier 10s every battle :MingLee:

6 hours ago, WorldConqueror said:

tbf its not like the defender and chrysler are much of a problem anymore since they're fighting tier 10s every battle :MingLee:

Working as intended...

CW will only be interesting with forced set ups:

• 3x t 10, 5x t9, 7x t8
  • 5x t10, 10x t9
  • 10x t10, 5x t9

and a cap on how much the same tank (say 3)

But forcing ppl to use lower tiers, you have to make choices, putting 3x maus and 2x type 5 on ensk might be a smart tektik, but they all slow as shit, so of the other side runs with medium - heavium set up, you loose (a T54 will beat a maus to dust 1vs1) yet picking 3x 113 and 2x IS7 is stupid vs 3xE100 and 2xE4

E-sport is only fun when its rock-paper-sciccors, where paper can ALSO beat sciccors, if you have good paper...

ps: and having IS3 as counter to anything is just retarded, just like the E5 spam of years ago was stupid, team with most E5 would win on basically all maps, didnt matter if other side used 10 maus, 10 arty or 10 bat chat, E5-swarm would beat anything...

ps ps: but the real problem is over-buffing, in the past WG often also nerfed tanks, they completly ditched nerfing, which means they will have to keep buffing for years to come, for the simple reason tanks like IS3 are so retarded good...

3 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

for the simple reason tanks like IS3 are so retarded good...

Not anymore. There's a new kid on the block.

ehh it's old by now but still retarded.

rip tiger 2, you will be missed :feelsbad:

7 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

but the real problem is over-buffing, in the past WG often also nerfed tanks, they completly ditched nerfing, which means they will have to keep buffing for years to come, for the simple reason tanks like IS3 are so retarded good...

which will eventually lead them to having to buff every single tank in the game, if the X's become so dominate they crush the IX's then they buff the tier IX's, then then the tier VIII's become useless, so on so on, until you go down the tier's till what, like II-III.

Like in the real world economy, its inflation, yet WG could very easily stop it, but are too short sighted to do so. Yeah nerfing tanks might not be good for business in the short run, but it means the game stays healthy in the long run.

22 hours ago, Crossfader said:

Exactly. The addition of these new premiums has a ratchet-effect on the rest of the game. WG rarely nerfs premium tanks so that means to fix any unbalance that is created they need to go in the other direction and buff everything else (or let certain tanks suffer).