Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Psycodiver

Tier 4 Battleship review

12 posts in this topic

Looks fair.

Though, I think you missed out on the accuracy discussion. For instance, the Wyoming's guns have 1.5 sigma, high shell speed coupled with long range (so high vertical dispersion) and USN horizontal dispersion, which makes them ... deeply unreliable. Whereas the 'Zuchi has 1.8 sigma, slower, shorter ranged shells. It's part of what makes it so good at beating up cruisers – it can hit them. The Emperor Nick is similar: slow, super accurate shells make for great pain.

For completeness – the Ark Beta is the real "worst AA", but makes up for it by being stealthy, and makes up for the Wyoming's shotgunness by either upping its RoF or using the accuracy mod.

Nik is... OP. It's just OP. 

Sailing a fully upgraded Ark Beta with a good captain and premium consumables feels every time like cheating.

IIRC, Itchy Zucchini and Nikolai both have 2.0 sigma, though Nikolai oddly enough has Atlanta-speed shells. Thankfully ships are still plenty slow and clueless at those tiers. Itchy also has mediocre AP penetration, but when you think of it as battlecruiser, spamming HE 50% of the time doesn't feel so bad.

Nikolai has an advantage in armor and gun layout, the front three guns are all forward facing - wiggling back and forth only has the rear gun having to go all the way around. You can't actually fire the front three straight forward, but that's fine, it just forces you into angling. :)  Also has turtleback armor arrangement, while the bow and stern are only 19mm, there is a nice band of armor down by the waterline all the way to front. So trying to punch in under the turrets at an angle still won't work. And to finish, the superstructure basically consists of two smokestacks (and a 400mm armored conning tower because lul) and the entire middle section is 35mm deck, no HE pens for you and you and you...plus 6 forward facing and 4 rearward facing secondaries in casemates, because if a DD gets close, well screw them too. For torpedo protection, she has 16% reduction. She is slow though, and the AA consists of a few drunk Russians with a revolver and some rusty old Mosin-Nagant's, and one of them just gets a megaphone and yells at the pilots. Seriously, you get 2 dps at 3km, and 7dps at 1km.

Itchy is fast, has plenty of guns, and is like Kongo just minus even more armor. They both have a 203mm turtleback over the citadel, but that is *all* the big Zucchini gets - citadel is only 19mm more armor (whereas Kongo gets 76-203mm more armor on the citadel itself). She does have a nice strip of 76mm armor all along the waterline to the bow as well. Proper angling is definitely key, but isn't it always? Torpedo protection is only 7%, because them fancy bulges don't show up until Kongo. The AA consists of WASD keys, because you only get 10 dps at 3km. Bonus, Itchy has practice guns mounted on the turrets above each main gun barrel.  :D

1 hour ago, cheereereerios said:

She is slow though, and the AA consists of a few drunk Russians with a revolver and some rusty old Mosin-Nagant's, and one of them just gets a megaphone and yells at the pilots. Seriously, you get 2 dps at 3km, and 7dps at 1km.

Thanks, I needed that good laugh after having wasted yet another day not being able to play ranked.

What is the best way to play wyoming? I got owned badly with her.

14 hours ago, wes said:

What is the best way to play wyoming? I got owned badly with her.

Stay just out of yolo torp range and shotgun everything you see.

5 hours ago, cheereereerios said:

Stay just out of yolo torp range and shotgun everything you see.

I find this BB is so hard to play, no matter which side I committed there was always no return. I were foolishly soloing a flank at first, however when I went with DD and CAs, they were all disengaging freely at will to leave me alone facing the horde. Try to disengage ended up even worse. She has no speed to leave battle. Could it be just wyoming? Even classified a BB but I felt she has no armor at all.

It isn't until T6 that BB's get armor sufficient to at least bounce some BB AP from the front. And the USN BB's stay dog slow through T7. New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado at least get enough belt armor to angle and bounce anything they like. But yeah, the Wyoming/NY both seem to eat penetrations from every angle, plus awkward firing angles.

At those tiers, the Kaiser/Konig are infinitely better. IJN tree takes off with the Kongo.

General BB weak spot to nail from close in, right under front turrets. You can usually get some cits that way. Shooting at German BB's, nail their upper belt to get a pile of penetrations.

You do want to follow behind your DD's and cruisers as well as you can, but if it looks like it is all collapsing, start turning around *before* you are the closest and tastiest XP pinata.

To be fair the only low tier BB's I will suffer through these days are all premiums, off the tech tree the Kaiser would be my choice for T4 though.

Personally I like being just behind my DDs and cruisers that way if they start to turn and run I can turn and reasonability keep up with them. Keeping a eye on your allies is about as important as keeping a eye on the enemy

I pull my Niki out when I feel like making people want to quit the game.  It's not uncommon to just delete cruisers in a salvo.  It's even viable against DD's because of its guns.  And because you're forced to angle and low tier players are generally bad, you can still finish a game with more than half your health...

I haven't faced one I couldn't one on one, but in a division I've seen those ships do some ugly things in matches, those in a division are about as cancerous as a Flint/Atlanta/Black division

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0