HighanDry

4 year Hiatius, i SUCK now and need advice

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I came back after a long hiatus, thinking I could get back in the swing of things and do relatively well.. nope.

I've played about 130 battles or so since I came back, and if you check my recent stats they're AWFUL.  I was never a great player by any means, I never was fantastic in tier 10... I mainly played tiers 7-9, but when I did was I decent.  I was getting 3k wn8 and 60% W/R in my recent, now I can barely get 1k dmg a game in tier 8 and I die way too much.  I've been reading guides and watching streams but nothing seems to be helping too much.  Has anyone ever experienced this magnitude of rust before, and if so, how did you overcome it?  I seem to be making no progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's actually quite understandable (and expected) that you are struggling so much after such a long break. WoT is one of those games that requires you to play to maintain a certain level of skill and ability. You most likely need to play for a solid week or even two to get back the feeling of the game. It's frustrating, I know, but don't worry just keep playing and it will start coming back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DirtyACE7 said:

It's actually quite understandable (and expected) that you are struggling so much after such a long break. WoT is one of those games that requires you to play to maintain a certain level of skill and ability. You most likely need to play for a solid week or even two to get back the feeling of the game. It's frustrating, I know, but don't worry just keep playing and it will start coming back.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I actually bought a premium medium tank on an alt account and have been playing that because I don't want to damage my stats any further on my current account lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HighanDry said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I actually bought a premium medium tank on an alt account and have been playing that because I don't want to damage my stats any further on my current account lol.

Play more heavy tanks right now, especially ones with good armor as they are more forgiving while you're regaining your skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DirtyACE7 said:

Play more heavy tanks right now, especially ones with good armor as they are more forgiving while you're regaining your skill.

That is very true.. but I already plopped down some cash for a patton KR on my alt account.  sadly i'll just have to deal with it.  So far I'm averaging 1k DPG and a mind blowing 30% W/R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, HighanDry said:

That is very true.. but I already plopped down some cash for a patton KR on my alt account.  sadly i'll just have to deal with it.  So far I'm averaging 1k DPG and a mind blowing 30% W/R

Watch replays from good players. I'm not sure if Zeven is still streaming but he is really good at explaining what he is doing. Most fame guys stream now too even if their streams are a bit hectic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HighanDry said:

That is very true.. but I already plopped down some cash for a patton KR on my alt account.  sadly i'll just have to deal with it.  So far I'm averaging 1k DPG and a mind blowing 30% W/R

Sounds like small sample size and bad luck. It won't average that bad even if you suicide down the middle at start of every match in the long run. Could very well be just you running into an unfortunate streak, and nothing wrong skillwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tier 8 is pure cancer now, the sun is setting on medium tanks, and HE is the new HEAT.  Welcome back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HighanDry said:

That is very true.. but I already plopped down some cash for a patton KR on my alt account.  sadly i'll just have to deal with it.  So far I'm averaging 1k DPG and a mind blowing 30% W/R

The KR is a solid tank, I 3-marked mine but that was before the reworked MM which now treats tier 8 tanks like shit. I would have recommended that you get the Patriot (aka T26E5) which was on sale just a few days ago. That tank is great and can deal being in tier 9 and 10 games pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real question is, after 4 bloody years why in hell would you come back to this game.....there's like a billion other games that are far better and less cancerous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Medjed said:

Real question is, after 4 bloody years why in hell would you come back to this game.....there's like a billion other games that are far better and less cancerous

My thoughts exactly.

Why OP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game has evolved a lot over 4 years. But some things never change. Artillery will always be broken. And even though they recently implemented regenerating consumables you generally end up using more from arty splashes/stuns. 

They thought it was apparently smart to buff Maus and have insanely stupid tanks like Type 5 heavy... Obviously so much balance for the game right.

I recently watched a youtube video of Super Noodles where he essentially goes on to say that people often complain about the game. But then goes on to say then end up keeping coming back and playing. Basically saying how there's really no other alternatives. Sure you had ArmoredWarfare but that just didn't compete with WoT. They have their own monopoly...

WoT isn't great but it's fun in ways. If you can overcome stupid RNG and laugh it off it's not that bad. 

My biggest advice is to just play battles. You won't get into the swing of things with that many battles. Maps have evolved. Tanks have evolved. You get better by playing more battles. But I would suggest watchign videos gets you on the right track. I suggest watching SirFoch, LemmingRush (really good educational content), Circonflexes (he's not really educational more of entertainer), Anfield, watch streamers. You will find out where they go in what kinds of tanks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it really evolving if the game is regressing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

coming back to play this game was your first mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Medjed said:

Real question is, after 4 bloody years why in hell would you come back to this game.....there's like a billion other games that are far better and less cancerous

Well, I wanted to come back to a 'competitive' game that I used to be good at.  My options were starcraft 2, League of Legends or War thunder.

Starcraft 2 is too time consuming, League of legend's jungle has changed far too much for my liking and well, I always have liked World of Tanks more than War thunder.

I've tried newer games like Overwatch, and I just cannot get into it.  That and I've never been good at FPS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

The KR is a solid tank, I 3-marked mine but that was before the reworked MM which now treats tier 8 tanks like shit. I would have recommended that you get the Patriot (aka T26E5) which was on sale just a few days ago. That tank is great and can deal being in tier 9 and 10 games pretty well.

I hear ya.  I'm actually enjoying the challenge though, I knew going in that it didn't have preferential MM.  I purposely chose it, hoping it'd help hone my skills a bit.

To the guy above

19 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

Tier 8 is pure cancer now, the sun is setting on medium tanks, and HE is the new HEAT.  Welcome back.

Medium tanks in general are going down hill or just tier 8?  And what do you mean HE is the new heat?  I  always disliked heat rounds due to their ineffectiveness against spaced armor/tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, HighanDry said:

Medium tanks in general are going down hill or just tier 8?  And what do you mean HE is the new heat?  I  always disliked heat rounds due to their ineffectiveness against spaced armor/tracks.

The new Balance guy at wargaming is a heavy tank fanboy ex-youtuber that is very vocal about his perception of heavy tank supremacy.  Under his watch, weakspots have disappeared, medium pen keeps getting threatened with nerfs, OP premium heavies are coming out on a conveyor belt, Maus and Type 5 heavies have been buffed to ludicrous speed.  Meds still work obviously, but their life gets harder and harder every patch.

I was referring to your last playing 4 years ago during the OP HEAT era.  The Japanese heavies have been built around ridiculous HE derp guns that completely eliminates any sort of skill in aiming.  Other heavies have to aim gold rounds at Type, Type just blaps them in face with naval derp gun while waddling along at 12 kph.  The tank was literally designed to make 45% cretins competitive annoying at tier X.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't playing for roughly 2-2,5 years, my advice is to find 1-2 tanks that you are comfortable with and play mostly them until you catch up with the meta and changes.

If you'll have constant shell velocity/pen/mobility/gun handling/armor it'll be easier for you to focus on more important things rather than fighting with your tank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

The new Balance guy at wargaming is a heavy tank fanboy ex-youtuber that is very vocal about his perception of heavy tank supremacy.  Under his watch, weakspots have disappeared, medium pen keeps getting threatened with nerfs, OP premium heavies are coming out on a conveyor belt, Maus and Type 5 heavies have been buffed to ludicrous speed.  Meds still work obviously, but their life gets harder and harder every patch.

I was referring to your last playing 4 years ago during the OP HEAT era.  The Japanese heavies have been built around ridiculous HE derp guns that completely eliminates any sort of skill in aiming.  Other heavies have to aim gold rounds at Type, Type just blaps them in face with naval derp gun while waddling along at 12 kph.  The tank was literally designed to make 45% cretins competitive annoying at tier X.   

Ah yea, I did notice that in the 200 battles I've played since I came back with the new type heavies.  And you're right about the heavy power creep...  oh well, I like mediums way too much to convert just yet.  Who is this new balance guy though, can I get some links?

1 minute ago, Marty said:

I wasn't playing for roughly 2-2,5 years, my advice is to find 1-2 tanks that you are comfortable with and play mostly them until you catch up with the meta and changes.

If you'll have constant shell velocity/pen/mobility/gun handling/armor it'll be easier for you to focus on more important things rather than fighting with your tank.

Solid advice, thanks.  How long did it take you to shake off the rust?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HighanDry said:

Solid advice, thanks.  How long did it take you to shake off the rust?

I'm still trash :MingLee:

On a more serious note, it took like like 750 battles to get on my previous level/start improving. That being said, it's hard to compare what was my level since I stopped back in late 2011 I believe, back then there were no skill metrics, I believe MM was still +/-3 (maybe even 4?) and prem ammo was for gold only, and I spammed lots of lower tiers, so yeah, I can't really tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like medium tanks, you might as well get some heavies. Like the 1111-14 and 111-15a

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.