kaneaaa

Geforce gtx graphics cards: which is best for high-end performance in WOT

60 posts in this topic

There's also the placebo effect. It can do amazing things to a person's mind.

18 minutes ago, kaneaaa said:

I have no idea what is going on....  anyone speak English here? 

Slight side discussion around how much is enough and or is there a 'too much' for your set up.

When you're looking at a 1070 or 1080, you're looking at future proofing the system if you aren't planning on running VR. 

Basically a 1080 would be good for another 5 years at least. 

3 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

When you're looking at a 1070 or 1080, you're looking at future proofing the system if you aren't planning on running VR. 

Basically a 1080 would be good for another 5 years at least. 

Except now the 1080 has also ballooned in price if you can even find any stock of it. Whatever this currency mining shit is, could they not have done it when i was looking for a flipping GPU??!!?!

1080 is still a better deal than the 1070. 

Yeah, there's a new cryptocurrency that's supposedly really good or some shit. I remember hearing about it somewhere. 

Because its new, its easy to recoup costs through mining since its just been created(? Is that the right term?) so the first few will be cost-effective to mine without dedicated machines. The hype should die down in a few months when it stops being easy to mine. Its pretty much cost-prohibitive right now with a home pc. 

Plus the currency might not even take off and end up worthless. 

ok so do I understand right that the best for longevity (I just want a graphic card that lasts) is the 1080ti, and it will still have some benefits of performance in wot now over the others?

Can I also clear this thing up about the screen. So it is the case that if the game operates above 60 fps you will see no benefit with the monitor I have.

What's your PSU ?

5 minutes ago, DHP said:

What's your PSU ?

Do I just open the pc up to find out? I thought you could just buy one if the pc is inadequate.

16 minutes ago, kaneaaa said:

Do I just open the pc up to find out? I thought you could just buy one if the pc is inadequate.

Unless you can find the characteric online then yeah you need to open it. Is it a prebuilt computer ?

I don't want to disrupt a discussion, but overall and in very simple way:

1) I have GTX 1060 6 GB <-- https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-GAMING-X-6G.html#hero-overview

2) I am running WoT at ultra without any problems (obviously)

3) I am running Total War: Warhammer at ultra (for around 50+ FPS)

4) I am running Witcher 3 at ultra (without hair work)

So if You are going to play at 1920x1068 GTX 1060 should be enough even for new games. If You are going to play at higher resolution I would recommend investing in something stronger.

Hope that helps.

I recently updated my whole rig and also bought an ASUS 27" 1440p monitor, for VGA I use a gigabyte gtx 1070. It's perfect and silent for 1440p gaming, running wot on ultra HD with 120 fps average.

Of course this implicates that you could run all other games with the highest resolutions.

9 hours ago, kaneaaa said:

ok so do I understand right that the best for longevity (I just want a graphic card that lasts) is the 1080ti, and it will still have some benefits of performance in wot now over the others?

Can I also clear this thing up about the screen. So it is the case that if the game operates above 60 fps you will see no benefit with the monitor I have.

It kinda depends on how urgent it is. I do recommend a 1070 still but they're out of stock everywhere or insanely expensive, might wanna consider looking around local stores that might have them lying around. A 1080TI is a very powerful card and will be a waste on a game like WoT for a very long time unless you plan on running 4K or widescreen 1440P which means the monitor upgrade to make the TI worthwhile is at least 500 EUR (this is for WoT, other games will benefit way more from that card even without that kind of screen size difference)

I think getting a 1070 (if you can without a ridiculous price) and a more sophisticated monitor would be a better deal moneywise.

1080p (or 1440p) with 144Hz monitors (BenQ Zowie or Acer Predator) are decently priced and reviews are good. Personally I think 24" is the sweet spot for 1080p and 27" doesn't feel sharp enough. 1440p performs much better there. 

If the game is doing more than 60FPS and your screen is doing 60Hz it might try to display several frames at once and it looks like this:

300px-Tearing_(simulated).jpg

I only had that happen to me once in WoT due to rotating fast in sniper mode (game is pretty much hardcapped at 120 FPS unless you unlock it anyway so tearing shouldn't any real issue in the first place).

An important thing that people seem to forget is that Hz and FPS are not really the same. Hz is the rate your monitor will refresh in per second and FPS is number of frames the software is processing per second, so you will notice a difference between running 60FPS/60Hz and 100FPS/60Hz because the software will animate smoother (basically reducing input lag) but it's to a certain degree and it's obviously not as "good" as 144Hz. 60Hz doesn't mean that you're hardcapped at 60FPS even though the monitor only refreshes 60 times per second with 1 frame per refresh due to this. 

So yes, there can be a difference in having more fps than your monitor can display, and on the form of screen tearing is detrimental to your experience. Tho running with vsync gets around this, hence allows you to have some reserve for more taxing games.

16 hours ago, Ezz said:

Except now the 1080 has also ballooned in price if you can even find any stock of it. Whatever this currency mining shit is, could they not have done it when i was looking for a flipping GPU??!!?!

Guy on OCAU bought $80,000 of 1080 Tis not long ago, expects they'll pay for themselves in under 90 days.

Until all the mining devalues the currency.

37 minutes ago, DivHunter said:

Guy on OCAU bought $80,000 of 1080 Tis not long ago, expects they'll pay for themselves in under 90 days.

using gaming gpus for mining. what a cuck.

21 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

using gaming gpus for mining. what a cuck.

Guess what, they're the only cost effective ones. Are you really going to buy a pallet of $4k GPUs when a $700 does the exact same job?

1080ti Is what I have

Works fine :)

Once it stops being cost-effective to run 1070s to mine crypto-currency which is pretty damn soon, the price should level out a bit. 

Waiting waiting waiting...

On 12/07/2017 at 8:10 AM, kaneaaa said:

So ideally gtx 1070 but its very expensive? 

Well I would be willing to pay a lot only if its worth the price (so up to 1080ti price) but like I said I don't want to throw money uselessly as all I would use it for is wot.

1080ti is complete and utter overkill for every single thing you would want to do on a 1080p monitor. I suggest a 1060 myself - get a 6GB version as Folter said. Technically a 1050ti could max WoT as well, but a little bit of wiggle room for future graphics updates is always handy. 

3 hours ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

Once it stops being cost-effective to run 1070s to mine crypto-currency which is pretty damn soon, the price should level out a bit. 

Geez I just looked and the Asus Strix 1070 I have is currently $150NZD more than what I bought it for in march. Its as expensive as a 1080 would of been back then

On 7/11/2017 at 10:12 AM, Kolni said:

1060/1070 have decent money/performance values so there's always that. 

Now performance in WoT is pretty useless since the game is so poorly optimized you'll end up with more than "necessary" once the HD maps are released that actually might have some optimization. But consider that the game will be considerably heavier to run maxed out in probably less than a year due to the HD maps (they will only keep one render so all maps should turn HD) + physics with havok so you should probably upgrade with that in mind. 

I still recommend a 1070. I've scaled the resolution up 1.5x and it ran 4K maxed out on a 1080p screen at 60fps. Couldnt notice any difference forcing 1440p at Max while having 3 screens active with movies and other stuff compared to the native res either at 144Hz and stable 120 FPS

Pick up a decent 1070, OC it and that should last you quite a while of maxed out WoT at 1440p

Can confirm singular 1070 at 1440p and 144hz you can crank up the game to maximum and if you edit the files/download a mod that lets you past the 120 fps cap you will exceed 180-200FPS. Wot is badly optimized, but it can run on nearly any potato so...

On 7/11/2017 at 10:13 AM, Folterknecht said:

A used GTX970 or a new 1060 (6GB) - slightly faster -  should be a safe bet for the near future. With the current mining craze, prices are insane though.

This ^

Right now with this I'd advise against a new GPU with prices still being high. Crypto did just have a MASSIVE crash however, but do not expect prices to lower dramatically yet. Wait a little while and you can probably pick up a new/used 1060 for a good price. If the crypto crash continues though; a flood of used GPUs will hit the market and with AMD Vega around the corner regardless of how it perform, will see the market flooded with used 7XX, 9XX, and 10XX series Nvidia GPUs.