kaneaaa

Geforce gtx graphics cards: which is best for high-end performance in WOT

60 posts in this topic

Sorry I don't Understand why the prices are high. 

My understanding...

Some new online currency called ethereum (kinda like bitcoin i think) allows what is called 'mining' - which i gather pays users fractions of a cent per calculation a person does. Users worked out that a good way to do lots of such processing is using a GPU. It was apparently successful enough that buying a new GPU would end up paying for itself pretty quickly and then start making them money. Hence all of a sudden heaps of people jumped on board this craze and started buying up GPUs en masse (eg Div's OCAU mate). Big increase in demand without much of an increase in supply, and bob's your uncle.

If you can wait a bit then yeah.  As others have said, if you're using a 1080p monitor then a 1060 would be enough - especially if you're only running tanks.  

However, I would invest in a new power supply before you buy a graphics card, otherwise your system won't be able to handle it.

4 hours ago, Hellvn said:

If you can wait a bit then yeah.  As others have said, if you're using a 1080p monitor then a 1060 would be enough - especially if you're only running tanks.  

However, I would invest in a new power supply before you buy a graphics card, otherwise your system won't be able to handle it.

Yeah, if you put in a too high powered graphics card and try and draw too much power through a low end PSU the magic smoke escapes and the PSU stops working.

1) He needs a new PSU, doesnt matter if he buys a 1060, 970 or 1080Ti

-> might cause problems, if HP opted for proprietary connectors somewhere in the system

2) GPU clearance ... this being a of the shelf PC, room for GPUs is often very limited. Some of the bigger custom cards probably won't even fit into that case!

With regards to the MONITOR, what kind of monitor would justify a high graphics card, what kind of specs would you be looking for? 

High refresh, high resolution, or a lot of games like Ghost Recon Wildlands.