FlorbFnarb

Anybody play primarily cruisers?

63 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, MntRunner said:

This gave him an indication that you were not stationary, and the direction you were moving. You are right though that he did have RNG. Getting distance right is difficult on non-targeted ships.

I'm hoping I'm making sense when I say I understand how it happened, just surprised that it did. :) 

So to tag in on this -

Like my Yorck with the HE buff, will probably keep. Starting to "get" the Hipper, tricky boat but is growing on me, and almost ready to unlock the Roon.

Will put a 16 point captain in the Roon, and I am guessing the Hipper and Roon are closer in play style than the Yorck.

What are opinions on a 16 point captain skills in the Roon?

Well, some skills will depend a little on how you play the ship. Priority Target for sure, Expert Marksman if the turrets feel sluggish, otherwise Adrenaline Rush, Demo Expert, Concealment because you will need the ability to fade from view if you get focused. The next set of skills you can get BFT + AFT if you dislike sky cancer. Preventive Maint. if you feel like modules are taking a beating. Superintendent if you need more heals or more hydro. Vigilance if sneaky scumbags are your nemesis, though running premium hydro should be enough. If you swap ammo a lot (like me) Expert Loader is worth a skill point. Some people like Direction Center to run two fighters. Lots of viable options depending on how you use your Roon.

Clearly WG hates the Brits, because the Caledon is a worthless sack of shit, and the Danae is made of spun sugar and unicorn farts.  I've played exactly two matches in the Danae and both times a single shot took over 90% of my health.

i'm gonna call it the Tootsie Pop.

Caledon is fine. Danae is... okay. Emerald is a big, fat Caledon two tiers higher. Their big problem is they're part of a line built around smoke firing... but until the Emerald, don't have smoke.

On top of that, as others have said: they're hard. They require better firing (you need to be competent enough to aim at different sections of the ship), as well as much better awareness of fire lines and avenues of retreat.

The problem is you're playing low tier trash. Once you get the Fiji it will all be worth it.

1 hour ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

The problem is you're playing low tier trash. Once you get the Fiji it will all be worth it.

True, low tiers seem very uneven.  I love my St. Louis, however, and would throat-punch anybody trying to take it from me.  I just had a 50k damage match (loss, due to awful team) where I kited a BB, dropping one salvo after another on him while he was otherwise occupied.

Kuma is a brilliant ship too.  Furutaka is pretty good but fairly fragile.

Brits just feel underpowered so far.

Angled, I find the furutaka is pretty good. The aoba is nice, although the DPM isn't great, it's a nicely balanced ship that hits hard and has an excellent chance to set fires.

The Leander is excellent against cruisers and DDs but struggles and BBs. Had a recent game where I was shooting at the super structures on both a New York and Bayern and most of my shells still bounced.  I would have killed for HE to start fires, particularly as the New York was on low health and on cool down.

Imho, with very few exceptions, Cruisers lines are only worth it at tier X. At least all the grinding prooves to be worth it in the end.

Exceptions (above tier IV, go away filthy seal clubbers):

1. Fiji - an almost tier VIII ship at tier VII where MM is glorious currently

2. Myoko - again, tier VII means glorious MM and the Myoko is super tanky when top tier with brutal firepower

3. Chapayev - radar ranger greater than detection range. With the radar module you are the bane of DDs and a good long range firestarter if you must

4. Cleveland - IF you can position well behind islands. Clevelands dpm is really great but it dies fast

as well as most tier IXs (except I-boooh-ki) but imho none of the tier IXs is a keeper when you can play the tier Xs instead.

5 hours ago, Hellvn said:

Angled, I find the furutaka is pretty good. The aoba is nice, although the DPM isn't great, it's a nicely balanced ship that hits hard and has an excellent chance to set fires.

The Leander is excellent against cruisers and DDs but struggles and BBs. Had a recent game where I was shooting at the super structures on both a New York and Bayern and most of my shells still bounced.  I would have killed for HE to start fires, particularly as the New York was on low health and on cool down.

You're right Furutaka is good.  My real problem with it is that everybody seems to prioritize shooting at it over everything else on the team.  But good guns, long-range torps, and good speed is a good combination.  Turret traverse is irritating but I'm learning to think ahead with it, just like with BBs.

4 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

Imho, with very few exceptions, Cruisers lines are only worth it at tier X. At least all the grinding prooves to be worth it in the end.

Exceptions (above tier IV, go away filthy seal clubbers):

1. Fiji - an almost tier VIII ship at tier VII where MM is glorious currently

2. Myoko - again, tier VII means glorious MM and the Myoko is super tanky when top tier with brutal firepower

3. Chapayev - radar ranger greater than detection range. With the radar module you are the bane of DDs and a good long range firestarter if you must

4. Cleveland - IF you can position well behind islands. Clevelands dpm is really great but it dies fast

as well as most tier IXs (except I-boooh-ki) but imho none of the tier IXs is a keeper when you can play the tier Xs instead.

ST LOUIS IS A GIFT FROM GOD.  I'll accept the label of seal-clubber for its sake.  XD

6 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

This is a key part that bears repeating; none of the tier 9 CAs hold a candle to their tier 10 counterparts. Just get through 9 as fast as you can. :)

22 minutes ago, Rodrigopine said:

This is a key part that bears repeating; none of the tier 9 CAs hold a candle to their tier 10 counterparts. Just get through 9 as fast as you can. :)

I found the Roon and the Neptune fun ships to play. Even though the 10's are better, there is no need rush through them. Enjoy the journey. I just got the Baltimore and the Donskoi and can't say much about them since they aren't fully upgraded. Although using radar for DD area denial is fun.

My only beef with Dimitri is the turning radius.  Trying to turn at the wrong time can really hurt you.