Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ezz

PC boots to desktop then is unresponsive

9 posts in this topic

So the background...

Win10 (upgraded from win7), Gigabyte Z97x - UD5H, i5 4690k, 960 gtx,16gb ram

840 250GB boot drive <--- which i think died... but how to confirm?

Data drive some WD thing.

System in same config for months, no issues.

Lead up - had chrome and witcher 3 running - went to load a new location in witcher, CPU spun up to 100% usage, frame rate dropped to about 10, then pretty much nothing. Left it for 10 minutes then hard reset.

On restart gets to desktop tries to log into steam, then just sits there unresponsive. Mouse and keyboard still working, but apps don't start incl. task manager. Can Ctrl-Alt-Del but in there nothing works except Esc (back to desktop) and Enter (lock screen). From lock screen can restart / shutdown etc..

Boot menu gives boot device error when select OS drive manually. When select Windows boot manager logs into desktop as above.

Anything i can check to confirm the SSD is the issue?

Does it just black screen? I.e you can boot + sign in + see the mouse/task manager. Only thing is that desktop apps won't load?

I think i have cried wolf... or at least something was fked up but fixed itself. It was at the above state of not opening anything for over an hour. Came back from a work meeting and it's seemingly healthy. Now i'm curious what killed it for so long. And whatever the cause, how to determine if it will happen again and even better prevent that.

If you haven't done so already, then now might be the time to do a backup...

I have had that happen. I recall someone saying a clean install fixes it.

Actually wind this all back to some weirdness with my mouse driver. Not sure if it was the crash during witcher that screwed with it, but on restarting it went back to the same symptoms of appearing unresponsive. Tried a different mouse and after loading thedrivers was all good. Went back to normal mouse (g502) and dead again. Manually started the logitech driver software - mouse all good again. Anyway, i think the whole hard crash threw me into the boot drive concerns, so hopefully it's just a mouse driver issue. Also appears to have removed my mouse button profiles. Will poke around, but thanks for the help so far.

Check your event viewer Ezz (from GDavid) LGS has thrown issues over the last few updates from MS, mine was a repeating keystroke loop which reset itself after about 6 restarts

14 hours ago, 33nfidel said:

Check your event viewer Ezz (from GDavid) LGS has thrown issues over the last few updates from MS, mine was a repeating keystroke loop which reset itself after about 6 restarts

Had a look but not sure exactly what i'm looking for. There seems to be quite a few errors for various things failing around the time of the crashes, plus the criticals for the system not shutting down properly.

3 hours ago, Ezz said:

Had a look but not sure exactly what i'm looking for. There seems to be quite a few errors for various things failing around the time of the crashes, plus the criticals for the system not shutting down properly.

I look at the criticals in particular and Task manager under the Start-up tab to check boot impact...

Usually the criticals show repeat offenders Ezz.

ATB and o7

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0