33nfidel

How's your Gallant?

37 posts in this topic

Bought mine but haven't run it yet.

What setups are you using and how do you find it? Post screenies...

Dont know, after the rumored smoke changes i put on hold all purchases....

Didn't buy it. I recently found a worse money sucking black hole then this game: guns.

6 hours ago, Crossfader said:

What smoke changes?

Its fine, got rank1 with it and Gaede. Good/Strong but not overpowered. Not very interesting compared to all other tier 6 dd's, does not bring anything really new to table. Well one thing, single launch torpedode mode which are most often not worth using though rarely in some situations with skillfull use they are advantage. Otherwise ship is just good mix of usual stuff. Good concealment, decent firepower but really floaty arcs so best at close range fights. Best torps in tier but also longest loading time of all. Small size, feels lot bit sturdy against enemy bb's trying to snipe as some other dd's.

LittleWhiteMouses review has pretty much everything anyone needs to get about it, just conclusions can be bit wrong depending whether you like it or not.

What comes to smoke mechanic changes, afaik they are already discarded in form they were posted in reddit. And anyway, peoples seem to be as usual far too stuck upon current mechanics and raging every time WG tries to change them. Just like stealth fire nerf, lot of whining how it would ruin game or spesific ships... and they ended up being fine.

1 hour ago, thegeek2 said:

What smoke changes?

Word on the street is they're testing a new mechanic where firing guns from smoke reduces the duration of the smoke by a factor of gun caliber. I understand trying to find ways to mitigate smoke camping but this version as described sounds a bit clunky.

3 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

I understand trying to find ways to mitigate smoke camping

BUFFING BB'S CAUSE THEY DONT LIKE WHEN THEY GET SHOT AT FROM SMOKE

is what this really is

39 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

BUFFING BB'S CAUSE THEY DONT LIKE WHEN THEY GET SHOT AT FROM SMOKE

is what this really is

Sounds like that. I wonder if they'll just make it for bigger stuff than DD peashooters. Belfast and Kutuzov could use a nerf, but all these poor DDs already ate a bunch of shit with the removal of stealth firing. Oh, guess Minotaur's fucked in that case though. She's completely balanced around firing from smoke, and she's likely to get worst of it with her relatively big guns that fire really, really fast.

1 hour ago, thegeek2 said:

Sounds like that. I wonder if they'll just make it for bigger stuff than DD peashooters. Belfast and Kutuzov could use a nerf, but all these poor DDs already ate a bunch of shit with the removal of stealth firing. Oh, guess Minotaur's fucked in that case though. She's completely balanced around firing from smoke, and she's likely to get worst of it with her relatively big guns that fire really, really fast.

I hate Minotaurs, so good. I also hate Kutuzovs, so good. but DDs, eh. bad idea IMO

10 hours ago, Crossfader said:

Standard WG practice though, like the perpetual beta numbering of a "released" game and the consistent power shifts...

4 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

I hate Minotaurs, so good.

the entire RN CL line is stupid... very bad game design (read that last bit in Trumps voice). They are either completely OP in the right situation or terrible and die right away when badly positioned. Its not as bad up to tier 8, but 9&10 go full retard with this.  Minotaur is either melting face and fucking everything up, or gets one shot from a BB 20km away...

Judging by how the development of the RN BB's is going, I would put my money in that they are going to completely, and i mean royally fuck up that line, just like the CL are, its going to be a gimmick shit fest that is going to be terrible.  Problem with balancing ship lines around gimmicks is that they are going to run out of combos to add together... cant wait till Russian BB's have hydro, smoke, radar, Def AA and torps (but like only one torp per side that deals 40k damage, just to make it more gimmicky).   

4 hours ago, Crossfader said:

(read that last bit in Trumps voice).

This is how I shall read all of your posts from this point forward. :-p

5 hours ago, Crossfader said:

the entire RN CL line is stupid... very bad game design (read that last bit in Trumps voice). They are either completely OP in the right situation or terrible and die right away when badly positioned. Its not as bad up to tier 8, but 9&10 go full retard with this.  Minotaur is either melting face and fucking everything up, or gets one shot from a BB 20km away...

After I rendered a Minotaur completely impotent with Zao - charged him bow first, saved sonar for his torps, then chased him out of his smoke and sank him while taking almost no damage - I was convinced to never grind that fucking line.

And not sure if want Gallant. Single use torps are tempting, but eeehhh.

2 hours ago, Mnemon said:

After I rendered a Minotaur completely impotent with Zao - charged him bow first, saved sonar for his torps, then chased him out of his smoke and sank him while taking almost no damage - I was convinced to never grind that fucking line.

And not sure if want Gallant. Single use torps are tempting, but eeehhh.

The ship's a chimera. It inherited the hulk of japanese destroyers, thus is agile and stealthy snd got their smoke; it inherited US guns, thus has dakka; it inherited german torpedo-performance, thus packs a fast punch at good range and somehow this cross-breeding also resulted in a single-tube fire-option. It's a good combination of good traits and the only area where it's lacking and I mean lacking as in not having any, is AA. It's not outperforming it's brethrens though, so I deem it fairly balanced.

5 hours ago, Mnemon said:

I was convinced to never grind that fucking line.

its actually pretty decent. Its not for new players, and is utter garbage till tier 6, but afterwards is quite fun, even if i think there design is inherently broken. Leander is my favorite in this seasons ranked

1 hour ago, Crossfader said:

even if i think there design is inherently broken.

I wouldn't mind some elaboration on that point, please.

1 hour ago, Madner Kami said:

I think he means that the ships are really overspecialized. If a good player can get into an abusable position, they can melt everything, but if they get caught out, they're fish food with no armor, and if people angle against them, they can't do all that much. In a 1v1 cruiser fight with anything not British, assuming an opponent is deft enough to not get torped, the Minotaur is going to lose unless the opponent makes a big mistake.

7 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

the tier 6-8 arent to bad, they cant somewhat fight in the open without getting deleted and while they have good DPM, it isnt to crazy. The tier 9-10 are real smoke whores, basically unable to fight in the open, its either in smoke or behind cover  or you die. Its fun, but very limiting and while they have insane DPM, even a DD can angle and make your damage drop to near nothing.

I really dont get why WG went full retard at the last 2 tiers when the last 3 were great

I made a different experience regarding angling against their AP in DDs, but I see your point, thanks.

7 games - 100% winrate - 70k dpg - wasn't top for exp only once.

Gud boote.

Only downside - single launch torps spoiled me for all the other DDs.

Good all around dd. The single launch torps make the ship. When people hide in smoke by the corner of an island, put 8 torps in a small area is an instant win.

Seen a few players doing good things with them, ggwp Jarkorsis...

A large part of your success or failure with this DD is your custom torp patterns. You can do some amazing things with them. I don't think LWM or some of the other reviewers understood how important or dominating they can be.