33nfidel

How's your Gallant?

37 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

A large part of your success or failure with this DD is your custom torp patterns. You can do some amazing things with them. I don't think LWM or some of the other reviewers understood how important or dominating they can be.

Seeing Gallant quite often in RB, probably 1/3 to 1/2 of battles I've played... Only been using mine in the Dunkirk mission so far.

So I ended up picking up the Mitsubishi HMS Gallant and played four games last night and here are my observations; the torpedoes are good. They're not quite as devastating as IJN fish, however, the single fire option allows you a lot of flexibility to control how tight or wide of a spread you want. If your prediction skills are good you can easily land 6-7 torpedoes in one salvo. The only downside to this is if you're too precise then damage saturation can gimp your damage.

As for the guns, they seems an awful lot like Clemson guns but at tier 6. Pretty similar flight characteristics, reload, etc... The floaty arcs I can kind of work around having gone up to tier 9 on US DDs but the low penetration and low fire chance make the guns seems pretty lackluster. Granted, I don't have a high skill captain, so I'm not sure if DE or IFHE are worth picking up since it seems like the bulk of your damage will come from torpedoes. The guns seem more suited to self defense against other DDs. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

So I ended up picking up the Mitsubishi HMS Gallant and played four games last night and here are my observations; the torpedoes are good. They're not quite as devastating as IJN fish, however, the single fire option allows you a lot of flexibility to control how tight or wide of a spread you want. If your prediction skills are good you can easily land 6-7 torpedoes in one salvo. The only downside to this is if you're too precise then damage saturation can gimp your damage.

As for the guns, they seems an awful lot like Clemson guns but at tier 6. Pretty similar flight characteristics, reload, etc... The floaty arcs I can kind of work around having gone up to tier 9 on US DDs but the low penetration and low fire chance make the guns seems pretty lackluster. Granted, I don't have a high skill captain, so I'm not sure if DE or IFHE are worth picking up since it seems like the bulk of your damage will come from torpedoes. The guns seem more suited to self defense against other DDs. Thoughts?

My is to get DE first. Then see about IFHE.  I have the Jack Dunkirk captain in it. (10 point captain) The fire chance is high enough I may shoot regular HE, then switch to AP for flat sides. I need a lot more skills before I know for sure.  It seems to work pretty well for me. I am using it as a torp boat most of the time.

37 minutes ago, Jarkorsis said:

My is to get DE first. Then see about IFHE.  I have the Jack Dunkirk captain in it. (10 point captain) The fire chance is high enough I may shoot regular HE, then switch to AP for flat sides. I need a lot more skills before I know for sure.  It seems to work pretty well for me. I am using it as a torp boat most of the time.

Cool. I wasn't having a lot of success with fires last night 100+ shell hits 2 fires. I know my sample size of 4 games isn't huge. but also had a lot of shell shatters too hence my question on IHFE. :)

Yes I thing guns are nothing special, mostly good at close range against other dd's but at farther ranges about as good as as other dd's in tier. Farragut is only dd with real gun firepower in tier.

IFHE sounds bit odd for ship, would need to drop some other good skills for that.  One less consumable charge (only 3 smokes), or not taking Survival Expert. Pretty big skills.

Also one could want to take 10% torpedo reload speed skill, ship has already longest reload in tier and torpedoes are still maybe better than guns in that ship even with long reload.

Yeah, I've played it a bit more and my feeling is that it should be spec'd similarly to an IJN DD. The guns aren't really worth buffing. At short ranges the guns are good enough to out-trade same tier IJN DDs, a close race against a Gaede (comes down to player skill) but you'll straight up lose against a dedicated gun boat. At long ranges they're only really good at hitting BBs or finishing off low health targets.

19 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

The guns aren't really worth buffing

Indeed. This is an incredibly agile torp boat with some ok guns (firechance is huge) on it as an extra.

With TAE the reload is just over 1 minute which drops to just under one minute with AR if you took some damage while contesting your first cap. Now the torps are not super damaging and the range needs to get used to but unlike ships like Shinonome, the Gallant is actually VERY agile and turns on a dime, which helps a lot.

My pick would be LS -> SE (HPs are really low) -> CE -> TAE -> AR -> DE

And then there is the single launch option. For newbies this is more a curse (except that you can obviously hit 6-8 torps on a bow on BB). The problem is really that single launch means that you need to click fast AND precise. if you click too slow, your torps arrive one by one -> easy dodge. If you click fast but not precise, you get gaps in the spread -> easy to dodge.

But if you can launch them fast yet precise you can get some ultra hard to dodge spreads.

So if the Gallant heralds what the RN DDs will be, then I am a really happy (after the meh germans) torp spammer.

On ‎28‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 7:48 PM, Rodrigopine said:

a lot of shell shatters too hence my question on IHFE

Even shattered HE shells can start fires, or am I wrong? Imho the main source of gun damage will always be fires anyways.

Yes, penetrations are not necessary to start fires. There's a debate about whether a penetrating shot increases the effective fire-chance, but without word from god, it's fairly hard to tell either way. The important part is, whether you hit the fire-abled places, really.

3 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

Even shattered HE shells can start fires, or am I wrong? Imho the main source of gun damage will always be fires anyways.

I was thinking more in terms of dealing direct damage vs. setting fires, kind of like how IFHE wakes up the DPS of Cleveland/Schors/Mogami. But the RoF and Alpha are too low to make it viable.

8 minutes ago, Rodrigopine said:

But the RoF and Alpha are too low to make it viable.

Indeed. And I must say I like that way of balance because it means that in these battles where the enemy is constantly retreating and you never really get torp hits in, you can at least be a decent firestarter.

Just now, Jaegaer said:

Indeed. And I must say I like that way of balance because it means that in these battles where the enemy is constantly retreating and you never really get torp hits in, you can at least be a decent firestarter.

Yeah, once I get CE I'll be looking to pick up SE and DE for survivability and damage respectively.