Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Madner Kami

Akizuki - AA Trap or anti-ship dakka dakka

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience with the Akizuki as a floating AA-platform? I'm kinda torn on how to develop my Akizuki captain any further with the last 9 points he can get. If I want to make a FlaK-trap out of the ship, I very much need manual AA and AFT, which obviously clashes with using IFHE. Now I think the enemies often enough show more than enough of their sides and super-structure, to make AP-only kind of workable, yet penetrating the shots with which you want to cause a fire, is so much more sensible in the first place. Alternatively, one could go for IFHE and manual AA, but neglecting the range-bonus from AFT seems like a really bad idea for the ship as well. I'm kinda stuck here and am looking for any sort of opinions (that are related to the topic).

Without DFAA, I don't really think its worth it to spec into AA...

I wouldn't recommend specing AA. It's way too situational, Akizuki can't run DF, so all she's good for is shooting down planes, and she can't do it well enough to effectively protect people from strikes- just punish the CV a bit for trying it. On the flip side, you will be facing tier 8 destroyers all the time, and if they know what they're doing, they'll stay angled, making you fire HE, which won't do damage to anything but the superstructure without IFHE.

I always wondered why anyone would bother with the Akizuki. It's highly situational. The AP can shred DDs sometimes but most times it is useless. HE is utterly bad, even with IFHE. Torp power is low. Speed is low. Concealment is mediocre at best. The line is a dead end.

After they brought down the Shiratsuyu I think going down this line is a noob trap and only adviseable for players who already have all other DD lines.

I have it because it is fun to play. This does not mean easy. The skill ceiling is high. I think The DEVs may have made some minor changes last patch. It still has smoke. Premium quick torp reload has a  160 seconds cool down and still is 5 seconds. I was getting a lot of fires with it this weekend shooting at BBs. I think it needs a pen buff and maybe 1 or 2 more percent to fire chance. As well has turning circle buff.

I like the boat, good concealment, dual purpose guns with flat arcs and high rof, smoke AND the torp booster, which has had it's premium version reload time dropped to 160 seconds - you get a lot more 8 torp volleys out than before, so it's actually been buffed by the last patch.  Eventually they will add in more DD's to fill out a second tier 10 line, when- I have no idea, but it's fun to play as it is.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0