hazzgar

British TD changes

125 posts in this topic

Hmm I already liked Conway a lot. The gun DPM was insane, I have 3100dpg with it. Now that much buffed it would be so much fun! But IDK if the new gun would be better. Maybe if it keeps the DPM

I've been thinking the changes over, and now that it seems that they are getting limited gun arcs (is it just for the new guns?) I'm really conflicted. Yes, the gun depression and mobility buffs are wonderful, however the guns seem to be more of a sidegrade than anything else. Lower dpm, lower accuracy and longer aim time to start. More specifically, for the conway, you gain the HESH shell and lose the APDS shell. With how common superheavies are, I'm not sure how they will fair. The 140mm gun isn't quite high enough calibre (damage) where it's going to be doing a lot of HE damage to the superheavies either. If the 5.5 had 270-280 pen, maybe I wouldn't feel so hesitant, but IDK.

Then the challenger, the 120 degree gun arc seems excessively restricted. If it is just that gun (and it very well might be) the 17 pounder may still be the better option. It would be a more expensive option to run, but there really isn't anything the 32 pounder brings to the table to make it work giving that up. Sure alpha, but the 17 pounder can get very close to a flat 3 seconds, so a followup show isn't exactly hard with a ~1.5 second aim time and 0.29 accuracy (effective). They should also fix the avenger turret, and if they don't want to model the inside, make it a flat top turret at the height of the turret, not turn the (entirely) cloth side covering into 10mm of armour (top was actual steel though).

It looks like that Conway is becoming a unique tank with this 5.5 gun and HESH ammo. Well, 260 AP pen is quite bad in super heavy meta but an ability to cripple lights and some meds is worth it. 

Meanwhile Challenger gets a promotion from good VI tier to real VII TD with proper pen and alpha. Don't tell me 171 pen with 150 alpha fits VII on paper platform. Great rof is important but not when it's struggle to inflict dmg. 100% APCR is expensive as hell so it's not a long time option. 

The big issue with the 32 pounder, or the one that tips it for me, is the implied 120 degree arc. If what the FV4005 revealed changes on wot news was true, then it's +60/-60, not +120/-120. If the 17 pounder is also restricted to the same arc, it's no question the 32 pounder would be the better option, but if it retains the 360, I think the low pen can be handled. The 17 pounder isn't a proper tier 7 TD gun (unless it was a squeezebore), and while the 32 pounder is proper, it detracts from the vehicle to mount it.

Never played these tanks but by looking at the Conway it feels like HESH will be main ammo due to HE dmg (i believe at least 300 dmg should come out due the high pen) and when flanking, ap for when you know you can pen other tanks. 200 pen is still great if you manage to flank effectively 

5 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

Never played these tanks but by looking at the Conway it feels like HESH will be main ammo due to HE dmg (i believe at least 300 dmg should come out due the high pen) and when flanking, ap for when you know you can pen other tanks. 200 pen is still great if you manage to flank effectively 

The penetration-stat has no influence on the damage done by a non-penetrating HE-shell.

6 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

not sure if you've played the Conway or not, but the gun handling is abysmal so AP is definitely the way to go. A potential 170 extra damage isn't worth the insane amount of bad RNG you're guaranteed to have

9 hours ago, Tupinambis said:

Wait, isn't the 120mm gun staying as an option?

Im pretty sure it will atleast stay as an option

The Challenger and Conway just got bigger guns to make the gameplay of line more logical

46 minutes ago, DHP said:

I benefited the -50 (or -30%) sale from this WE in preparation ! So jokes on you ! :trump:

Even cheaply bought shit is still shit. Worse yet, you do not just have shit, you got cheap shit.

On 8/6/2017 at 5:36 PM, BlackAdder said:

More weeb guns to counter weeb tanks. 

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'm assuming you're talking about larger calibre HE(SH) rounds. It's not going to be very effective against the jap heavies. Hitting non-sloped plate of the type 4 heavy with 5.5" HESH is only going to yield 110 damage on average.

1 minute ago, Ogopogo said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'm assuming you're talking about larger calibre HE(SH) rounds. It's not going to be very effective against the jap heavies. Hitting non-sloped plate of the type 4 heavy with 5.5" HESH is only going to yield 110 damage on average.

Yeah I meant that, to couner stupid overbuffed haveys they awarded players with more HE(SH) spamming options. And yes HE always does the damage, side effects are hitting innocents with less armor. 

4005 with speed, gun depression and full turret looks quite the memes to me.  Like a Tier 10 skorpion with even more alpha. 

Ok today there was a live stream on Gamescom with Paul Barnett and Danylo Parashchyn aka Murazor (you know the guy responsible for balance and stuff) and some unimportant EU guy. At 22:30 they starting talking about this TD changes. Nothing so spectacular. More depression etc. the usual stuff. They also have plans for HESH but nothing for sure, basically the same talking they did for ages now. But they drop something what caught my attention. At 23:55 they mention a special mode for this FV 4005 in the future. They call it "a nice idea". My guess here would be a mode similar to the swedish camper mode. Once you activate the mode you can't move anymore as your tank digs in, but you can fully rotate your turret. 

Video seems to be broken but it starts playing if you actually click on it. 

Make it like it was in first CoH in British Forces - tank may dig in so it trades 100% of its mobility for better armor :D Sounds stupid and totally not wot-like? Defender and Chrysler K too (not to mention sky cancer)... 

4 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

Make it like it was in first CoH in British Forces - tank may dig in so it trades 100% of its mobility for better armor :D Sounds stupid and totally not wot-like? Defender and Chrysler K too (not to mention sky cancer)... 

Wasn’t that Wolverine? 

4 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

Wasn’t that Wolverine? 

The M10 couldn't "bunker down" or "hull down" or whatever in COH.

actually an ability like that would be pretty interesting, if stupid. Tortoise goes "bunker down", can't move, but gets +25 spaced armor on its entire front profile because a bunch of shit got piled up on it