Psycodiver

Visited the USS Wisconsin today

5 posts in this topic

Was on vacation with my son and wife at Virginia Beach and on our way home we decided to hit up the USS Wisconsin on the way out, unfortunately it started raining right before I got there (on top of that I forgot to pack my good camera so I was stuck with cell phone pictures). That said comparing the USS North Carolina to the USS Wisconsin and their both really different experiences, the NC is pure battleship was the Wisky has a really nice naval museum that is centered around not just the Navy but civilian navy also. The Wisky has less to see, they are still working on the ship apparently and recently opened up the engine area to the public while the NC you can go nearly anywhere. Also the Wisky is sooo much bigger feeling than the NC. This is starting to be a yearly thing for us, last year we visited the NC, this year the Wisky, next year we plan to go to my home state NJ for vacation so might as well stop by and see the NJ in Camden. Heres a couple pictures and the rest out in this album https://imgur.com/a/p38vS

VB3hESq.jpg

VH8izdP.jpg

A8OtTVw.jpg

Nice! Took a drive a couple weeks ago and surprised the kids with a visit to the USS Edson - a Forrest Sherman class DD. The engine room was cozy, to say the least. Might try to get to Buffalo next, where they have a sub, Fletcher-class, and Cleveland-class as part of a museum.

I remember visiting her during a Fleet Week in NYC about 25 years ago.  I'm glad to see that our first thought wasn't to scrap these.  It's nice that we figured out ways to preserve a part of our history other than old buildings.  A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into these ships.  I used to have an older employee that worked at Newport News.  The folks that built the ships are every bit as proud of them as the sailors that man them.

22 minutes ago, Devo said:

I remember visiting her during a Fleet Week in NYC about 25 years ago.  I'm glad to see that our first thought wasn't to scrap these.  It's nice that we figured out ways to preserve a part of our history other than old buildings.  A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into these ships.  I used to have an older employee that worked at Newport News.  The folks that built the ships are every bit as proud of them as the sailors that man them.

Yeah a lot of people were eager to move on from WWII so an awful lot of hardware was scrapped. For historical purposes, it was an unfortunate loss however, I do understand why many were wanting to put the war behind them and focus on building a better future.

As for ship building, I'm originally from the Portland, Maine area and the guys at Bath Iron Works are VERY proud of their ships. :)