Bavor

AMD RX Vega 56 and 64

41 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, xRightygamer said:

The 56 vs the 1070 looks like a similar situation to the 480 vs 1060, in which the 480 pulled ahead over time with newer drivers and better DX12 support.

In case of the 1060 vs Polaris you can make the "fin wine" argument, but with Vega it 's utter nonsense. The card is more than 1 year late to the party and in ~1/2 half a year we will see Volta (from NV) making Vega totally irrelevant.

That aside I rather have performance from day 1 instead of getting max performance only near the end of a cards "relevant life span".

I'm going to have to disagree with this a little. Yes, Vega runs hot and draws a shitload of power while having underwhelming performance, but the architecture/technology is actually innovative by comparison. Vega has HBM2 and it has the best DX12 support out of any card out at the moment.

Reveal hidden contents

ms-dx12levels-1.jpg

In honesty at this point I could care less about DX12. How many DX12 games you came across that arn't a total train wreck from a technical perspective? Half a dozen maybe the mayority is a bug fest, that 's why many reviewers still benchmark in DX11 for these games.

And that is leaving MS out of the equation, who seem to be following in Apples foot steps  with W10 and DX12. Personally I already started to look into getting W10 enterprise for cheap and considering a dual boot with Linux.

Vulkan offers a ray of hope in that regard. Will be interesting to see how the upcoming Volta GPUs from NV will handle that compared to AMD and Maxwell.

NVIDIA's real advantage right now lies in their insane performance per watt, which AMD simply can't beat right now. Unfortunately, outside of productivity and mining, Vega pales in comparison to contemporary NVIDIA cards. I'd honestly choose a 56 over a 1070 (assuming it's remotely possible to get one for its actual MSRP) because I'm confident that it'll get better over time, but I wouldn't even think of getting a 64 over a 1080, let alone a 64 Liquid Edition over a 1080/1080ti.

Yeah - with Vega 56 AMD finally achieved 980Ti performance (per watt).

980Ti OC vs 1070 OC

That vega price increase:bigdoge:

28 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

That vega price increase

yeah ... bait 'n switch

------------------

On an other note - for all those considering going water with Vega - better think again. According to an article on german TH, they already encountered 3 different "packages" with Vega GPUs. These have differing dimensions when it comes to the height of the HBM compared to the GPU itself. Fun times for manufacturers of water blocks, coolers and DIY users.

@TheMarine0341

@Haswell

I know ... nothing new to me.

I already linked the TH article regarding the packaging problems -> watercooling and aftermerket cooling will be a nice lottery.

The thing with the voltages is also real (at the moment). Gamers Nexus was one of the first, if not the first to report it and others followed like HWLuxx, but I refrained from even mentioning it here for several reasons.

• Atm what we are seeing are review (aka golden) samples mostly not reports from bought cards. Yes lowering voltage by around 0.1V and maxing/increasing power target results in a lower power draw, less fluctuation in core lock and higher FPS.
  • software (incl. AMDs own) for voltage and frequency is bugged atm
  • However the simple fact that AMD is sending out cards with (more than) 0.1V overvoltage, resulting in above mentioned problems and worse reviews than they could get, makes me highly suspicious of what we will see when mass production really starts. Current sales amount to something like a limeted production run at best and who knows what kind of binning is taking place.
  • Vega64 is a total fail whatever AMDs and their rabid fanboys want to tell you. Though there is some hope for Vega56 assuming all above mentioned issues turn to the positive and GPUs with aftermarket cooling make it to the market in a reasonable time frame, quantity and price (saw several 1070s today available for 399€ with a decent cooling solution).
  • That Vega64 flash on Vega56 is real but utter nonsense with the risk of bricking the card. You gain nothing from it (function units) beside clocks and higher power target - nothing you couldn't do with working software and registry hacks. So why bother???

It opens up the possibility that while 56s are now neutered 64s, AMD may "unintentionally" let loose a few 56s with their stream processors uncut but only locked out in the vBIOS.

Yes I'm grasping at straws, but muh hopes and dreams.

Oh I also have no intention of buying the 56, Im going with a tried and true 1070. I was going to hold out for Volta, but since AMD fucked that horse in the ass I'll have to wait quite some time. I am, however, going to upgrade my i5 6600k to an R7 1700

13 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Oh I also have no intention of buying the 56, Im going with a tried and true 1070. I was going to hold out for Volta, but since AMD fucked that horse in the ass I'll have to wait quite some time. I am, however, going to upgrade my i5 6600k to an R7 1700

GTX 1070 is a good card, but in Europe Vega 56 is actually a good buy since the 1070 is either out of stock or costs more in some places. The Vega 64 is a total meme card, but the 56 vs 1070 is a matter of whichever one you can get cheaper imho. The way I see it is that if you can shell $500 for a GPU then you can also shell out $80-$100 for a standard gaming 650/750W PSU. I think the Vega 56 and Gtx 1070 go hand in hand for alot of people and will come down to preference more than anything because even looking at power costs, a fuckton of people dont care about that. 

My current rig is a GTX 1080ti EVGA FTW Edition and i7-6850K at 4.0 ghz from an i5 6600K and R9 390/GTX 1070 build. The Ryzen will be a good grab and the 1070 is a monster for it's price/perf.

I think anyone looking to buy Vega should wait for custom board 56s to see what those are capable of before buying, might even be able to push the chip close to 1080 performance if the manufacturer has enough freedom.

US, I can get a 1070 for $430 USD and I can get a 1080 for about $530 USD. Vega probably wont have stock for quite a bit, plus theres the whole GPU manufactures decreasing stock of DDR5 for GPUs in the near future to drive cost up further :feelsbad: