Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Liberty75

Has the repair skill lost value?

15 posts in this topic

With the advent of reusable consumables, the Repair skill has lost a little bit of its usefulness (i.e. fixing tracks quickly) now that we can use the repair kits more than once in a match. Has the Repair skill lost enough value that it would be better to train Concealment ("Camo") instead and receive those benefits? Would it be better on all tanks or only certain tanks? I would think that high tier mediums may benefit more from using Concealment now, while heavies and TDs would still be better off using Repair because of the frequency of their treads being damaged. I'm assuming that light tanks and SPGs would be using Concealment already, so this doesn't pertain to them as much.

What do you guys think?

It depends IMO. 90 seconds is quite a while in game time, and it sucks to get tracked in a bad spot while your kit is on cooldown with no repair skill, or to get tracked and racked and have to spend the next 90 seconds racked if you use your kit on tracks. So repairs is still valuable, just slightly less so with reusable kits.

Enjoy getting perma tracked if you don't have repairs. Sounds like a great way to have a shitty match

What would you take instead of repairs? I would say that camo has lost a lot more value in higher tiers for most tanks than repairs. And most other skills are pretty useless. 

The Repair skill retains it value and is not devalued by reusable consumables at all.  The main reason to train Repairs is (as Schnitzel says) to speed repair time to avoid being perma-tracked and that risk is not mitigated by reusable consumables.

What reusable repair kits allow is more flexibility to use a kit on tracks (where you may have chosen to eat a shot) and not lose use of the kit for the rest of the match.  It also allows tanks with specific repair issues (e.g. ammo rack issues) to run one kit instead of two and then have a more balanced consumable load-out for better performance/insurance.

What the reusable consumables have done is diminish/eliminate the usefulness of Armorer, Preventative Maintenance, and the JOAT skills.

IMHO the camo/repair skill balance hasn't changed at all in light of reusable consumables.  At least in the early skill development stages heavies, brawling mediums, and assault TDs get repairs and paper mediums, TDs, and light tanks get camo.  Although overtime players will realize value in having both camo and repair for most tanks over a lot of the other highly situational skills/perks.

1 hour ago, Liberty75 said:

With the advent of reusable consumables, the Repair skill has lost a little bit of its usefulness (i.e. fixing tracks quickly) now that we can use the repair kits more than once in a match. Has the Repair skill lost enough value that it would be better to train Concealment ("Camo") instead and receive those benefits? Would it be better on all tanks or only certain tanks? I would think that high tier mediums may benefit more from using Concealment now, while heavies and TDs would still be better off using Repair because of the frequency of their treads being damaged. I'm assuming that light tanks and SPGs would be using Concealment already, so this doesn't pertain to them as much.

What do you guys think?

That's pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the quick replies!

Side question: has repair speed at 100% gotten longer since the advent of reusable consumables or is it just confirmation bias?

I swear it's longer now despite being at a full 100%.  I'll have to check my old repair times (I used to time them using different gear and setups to compare using a stop watch.)

Yeah JOAT is pretty useless with reusable consumables now.

56 minutes ago, Vampiresbane said:

Side question: has repair speed at 100% gotten longer since the advent of reusable consumables or is it just confirmation bias?

I swear it's longer now despite being at a full 100%.  I'll have to check my old repair times (I used to time them using different gear and setups to compare using a stop watch.)

Confirmation bias. Havent noticed a difference

11 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

Enjoy getting perma tracked if you don't have repairs. Sounds like a great way to have a shitty match

You need repairs on as many crew as possible in higher tier heavies and mediums or you go back to the garage quick like.  Some of the oddball crews I've had where you have to add a loader or gunner along the grind line come into mind.

13 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

What the reusable consumables have done is diminish/eliminate the usefulness of Armorer, Preventative Maintenance, and the JOAT skills.

I think not, still you have to recharge kit’s and if you have spare skill I always invest in JOAT and armorer. preventive is useless. 

I recently farmed a Mauschen from full health to death through his drive wheel in a Patriot even with a couple of misses/bounces.  Repairs is still pretty damned important.

9 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

I think not, still you have to recharge kit’s and if you have spare skill I always invest in JOAT and armorer. preventive is useless. 

I stand to be corrected, but...

Weren't these skills specifically chosen to mitigate one use repair and/or one use med kit issues arising from reduced consumables (or two of the same kits) when running food?  I am not sure I could justify the JOAT or Armourer skills to help me out during an occasional 90 second cool down.  Even if deemed valuable I could not prioritize it over BIA, Sixth, Repair, Camo, and SA or Armourer over BIA, Snap Shot, Repair, Camo, and Deadeye...

1 hour ago, 8_Hussars said:

I stand to be corrected, but...

Weren't these skills specifically chosen to mitigate one use repair and/or one use med kit issues arising from reduced consumables (or two of the same kits) when running food?  I am not sure I could justify the JOAT or Armourer skills to help me out during an occasional 90 second cool down.  Even if deemed valuable I could not prioritize it over BIA, Sixth, Repair, Camo, and SA or Armourer over BIA, Snap Shot, Repair, Camo, and Deadeye...

They are still useful but not priority over camo/rep/bia/gunnery skills. 

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:17 PM, BlackAdder said:

Preventive maintenance is far from useless.  Specially on frontal engine tanks.  I imagine a lot of Fv215b players would also disagree with that statement. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0