SolarflareGrenraven

Whats the point of playing Tier 10?

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

because i am still quite new (13k battles) i only have 2 tier 10 tanks which i don't play a lot of to be honest as most of my time is still spent grinding through the tech trees i am progressing.

Although i have often questioned the point of playing tier 10 games at all as it seems to have been setup so that all it does is cost you money / credits.

For an average player whose experience of Tier 10 battles in limited to probably less than 200 battles what is the point of playing tier 10 when you

A) cant make any credits (unless your one of the better players maybe?)

B) there's no progression after tier 10 to speak of?

Why would you spend extended periods of time playing this tier outside of clan wars etc?

I am interested to hear what you have to say about this.

Kind regards,

Paul

For some, I'm guessing, they (like me) enjoy certain tanks at tier 10.  Others that are in Clan Wars clans just enjoy getting to know the ins and outs of a certain tank.  I would recommend to not specifically play 10's extensively just for the sake of playing them.  I play the odd match here and there in 10's, but I find plenty of other tanks in lower tiers that are tons of fun to just bomb around a map in and have fun.  Long story short, play what's fun for you.

End game.

Tier 10 is the most competitive tier, the most challenging, its where play styles and differences in tanks are most prevalent, and it takes the most skill to do well in. 

as a competitive player, thats what makes it fun. 

I do enjoy going back to tier 5-7 every now and then, but it gets boring quickly for a few reasons: first, its too easy. I could farm in my T67 all day every day and get 6K WN8 easy. same with my Cromwells or my T29 etc. but doing that is boring. Its just too easy and farming newbies and idiots gets boring after a while.

second: theres more RNG, mainly gun handling and accuracy. its often way worse down at lower tier. tanks are less accurate, and have worse overall gun handling and take forever to aim. that gets really annoying. everything at tier 10 is much tighter. 

Thirdly: no bottom tier. getting stuck in tier 8 games in a tier 6, and tier 10 games in a tier 8 gets tiring for everyone. playing tier 10 avoids that.

Fourthly: less Bullshit OP tanks or stupid game balance ideas. Okay, tier 10 has stupid shit like the STRV or the 183s and such. but tier 8 now has the Defender/Patriot/Liberte/Skorpion etc. tier 7 has retarded tanks like the E25. tier 6 gets the now gloriously OP Type 64, tier 5 has the Lef18 bullshit. etc etc etc. 

well, those are at least my reasons for tier 10. I enjoy tier 9 a lot as well, and personally I consider tier 9 to currently be the best balanced tier in the game (lets see how the next patch changes that) 

Also, I can make money just fine at tier 10. also also STB-1 is orgasmic and I literally cannot stop playing it even after 1700 games. 

For me I'm starting to realize how valuable the survivability  of tier X tanks is.  In lower tiers, there are so many tanks that can one shot you and send you to the garage before you can do anything.  In a tier X tank, that almost never happens.  Yesterday I fucked up bad in my 50B, totally potatoed and drove out in front of a pair of TDs in the first minute - dropped 1500 HP instantly.  I went on to do over 3K damage anyway and helped secure a tight win.  In the 50-100, I would have died and been back in the garage if couple of TDs had hit me like that.

my trouble is that my preferred tank class is light tanks and i think that in the current meta at tier 10 they are massively gimped.

The two tier 10s i have currently are e100 which i find really frustrating due to how slow it is, and the tvp 50/51 which i find really

frustrating due to the lack of armour and that i seem to be spotted from miles away in it.

Do you think LTs are worth playing at tier 10?

Good reasons to play tier 10:

1.) You enjoy it

2.) You are practicing and improving for competitive play. No one will take you seriously if you can't pub your tier 10s well.

There's also plenty of good reasons not to play tier 10. I personally don't play it much because I find the gameplay slow, campy, boring, and generally dreary. I have much more fun in tiers 6-9, I make better credits and XP, there's more tanks that feel unique, and you can actually be aggressive more often.

5 hours ago, SolarflareGrenraven said:

Not really, no. It was a poor move on WG's part to extend the line, because the role they play is either a) handled by mediums or b) worthless. Why get an AMX 13 105 when the BatChat can do any meaningful task better? The only lines you see are the American and Soviet lines: the Americans because of glorious derp, the Soviets because the T-100 is a pantank. The Chinese, French, and German lines can't do anything their medium lines can't, and it sounds to me like the RU251 has lost favor.

To answer the original question: Clan Wars, competitive, ranked, and 30v30. Now is a better time than any to play tier 10.

You learn how to play the game. As Assassin and Dual have said it is the most competive. You are not fighting the tanks you drive that much  and your opponents now how to aim (sort of). So you dont outplay you opponents because you know the mechanics better, but because you position yourself better. So either you step your game or you suck balls. 

6 hours ago, SolarflareGrenraven said:

my trouble is that my preferred tank class is light tanks and i think that in the current meta at tier 10 they are massively gimped.

The two tier 10s i have currently are e100 which i find really frustrating due to how slow it is, and the tvp 50/51 which i find really

frustrating due to the lack of armour and that i seem to be spotted from miles away in it.

The TVP is very overpowered if you play it right. Do you have full camo crew on it? Its got pretty good camo actually. 

Best way to play the TVP is sneak around to the side of someone with your speed and dump a clip in before they realise you're there, then run away cackling at the 1300 damage you just did only to pop up somewhere else 20 seconds later to do it again.

5 hours ago, dualmaster333 said:

Good reasons to play tier 10:

1.) You enjoy it

2.) You are practicing and improving for competitive play. No one will take you seriously if you can't pub your tier 10s well.

There's also plenty of good reasons not to play tier 10. I personally don't play it much because I find the gameplay slow, campy, boring, and generally dreary. I have much more fun in tiers 6-9, I make better credits and XP, there's more tanks that feel unique, and you can actually be aggressive more often.

i agree with all of this but being aggressive is much harder in mid tiers, especially compared to playing the maus; if you have a maus at your disposable, you can be a wrecking ball, it'll be great even with current incoming nerfs