CardinalMite

Switching off Team damage to be tested...

41 posts in this topic

From a copy of an Anton Pankov Q&A someone reposted on Asia forums we have. EDIT here is the same Q&A from link. https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/08/22/wot-dev-qa-22-08-2017/#more-54993

"On team damage:

We’re planning to disable team damage on the Sandbox, or in one region. It seems a simple and logical decision, since you won’t have to worry about punishment. Nevertheless team damage is bound to the game economy and experience gain, so it’s harder than it seems. We’ll try anyway."

WTAF!?

This is an absolutely awful, terrible, abysmal idea that will do more to ruin this game than OP premiums and bad MM. The fact that they are even contemplating this is a very bad sign that they no longer care about this game being in any way tactical skill based.

You will get tanks just yoloing in to groups of enemies specifically so that arty can spam them.. You will get people spamming gold way, way more than you see now (yes really) into crowds of tanks from both sides brawling knowing they dont have to do more than aim in the general direction of the group and rely on not being able damage the same side tanks. You will get people deliberately aiming at their own team tanks to exploit ricochet mechanics to hit enemies around corners. Big TDs firing hesh or HE into groups of brawling tanks basically rekking face for no skill whatsoever.

You know those replays where some awesome player succesfully fights off 5 or 6 tanks by hugging a live enemy tank  (e.g.side hugging slow armoured non turreted TDs) and using it as cover forcing the enemy to precision shoot or get around?? Yeah?...nah you will never see that again. They will just load HE and spam you to death. Removing weak spots was bad enough, this takes the dumbing down to extreme levels and the day they do this on live is the day I stop playing WOT.

They better disable the battle buddy too, the fuckers.

Team damage whilst it does happen is way, way overblown as an issue. If I play on average 3 or 4 times a week at roughly 2 hours a session I maybe get accidentally shot once in that time. Small amounts of ramming damage happen usually because of clumsiness at the spawn point as everyone heads off in different directions at the start.

I was accidentally team killed this week while on low health for the first time in maybe 4 months of play. Maybe 50% of the time I get an immediate apology in chat when I receive team damage.

I can't remember the last time someone deliberately did team damage to me, I do remember some arse pushing me out from hard cover to get killed by enemy fire which would still happen even if team damage was switched off.

I use the mod that prevents firing on my own team, it works well.

Of all the things WG should fix team damage is absolutely not one of them. 

This is turning into official forums more and more every week.

I get tk'd pretty frequently. If I play for 2 hours straight, it is almost certain to happen. But the team dmg system doesn't do anything to it.

TK issues I'm having:

Heavies hiding behind my spotting light tank or TD, and I get shot for it.

Potatoes pushing me out in the open while I try to hold a flank in a sidescrapping or hull down positon.

Having someone park behind me, blocking my retreat path.

People who considers flipping ikea TDs to be "fun"

I see team damage as mostly a non-issue.  Ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 hour ago, CardinalMite said:

You will get tanks just yoloing in to groups of enemies specifically so that arty can spam them.. You will get people spamming gold way, way more than you see now (yes really) into crowds of tanks from both sides brawling knowing they dont have to do more than aim in the general direction of the group and rely on not being able damage the same side tanks. You will get people deliberately aiming at their own team tanks to exploit ricochet mechanics to hit enemies around corners. Big TDs firing hesh or HE into groups of brawling tanks basically rekking face for no skill whatsoever.

You know those replays where some awesome player succesfully fights off 5 or 6 tanks by hugging a live enemy tank  (e.g.side hugging slow armoured non turreted TDs) and using it as cover forcing the enemy to precision shoot or get around?? Yeah?...nah you will never see that again. They will just load HE and spam you to death.

43 minutes ago, CardinalMite said:

Team damage whilst it does happen is way, way overblown as an issue.

Is it just me who sees the irony?

Seriously dude, chill. You're overreacting. What you say is going to happen is either

> completely stupid - "You will get tanks just yoloing in to groups of enemies specifically so that arty can spam them"

Who the fuck would throw away their tank just so his arty can shoot enemies? Even if somebody does that, how effective is it? Non-existing issue.

"You will get people spamming gold way, way more than you see now (yes really) into crowds of tanks from both sides brawling knowing they dont have to do more than aim in the general direction of the group and rely on not being able damage the same side tanks."

Thanks, I'd still rather aim my shots and actually hit enemies rather than spam in general direction because I don't have to worry about team DMG. Non-existing issue.

> pubbies are never going to exploit it or it's so rare it's basically not going to happen - "You will get people deliberately aiming at their own team tanks to exploit ricochet mechanics to hit enemies around corners."

Srsly exploiting ricochet to hit enemies around corners? How often do you think there is possibility to make that shot, how often does said shot actually hit AND pen, and how manny pubbies are going to do that? Non-existing issue.

- "Big TDs firing hesh or HE into groups of brawling tanks basically rekking face for no skill whatsoever."

You'd literally have to have 5 tanks facehugging each other for this to be effective, the TD would have to have clear LOS into the enemies, and it has to be either 183/4005 or Type 5, nothing else has enough splash. Again, hitting correct target in correct places with 183/Type 5 > super rare splash of more tanks. Non-existing issue.

"You know those replays where some awesome player succesfully fights off 5 or 6 tanks by hugging a live enemy tank  (e.g.side hugging slow armoured non turreted TDs) and using it as cover forcing the enemy to precision shoot or get around?? Yeah?...nah you will never see that again. They will just load HE and spam you to death."

The same - rare situation, pubbies will not think to load HE, and making accurate shots with AP is more effective. Non-existing issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removal of team damage is not going to change much. All it's going to do is get rid of the rare occasion where you get pissed because teammate shot you, whether it was on accident or on purpose.

tl;dr - 

49 minutes ago, Hally said:

I get tk'd pretty frequently. If I play for 2 hours straight, it is almost certain to happen. But the team dmg system doesn't do anything to it.

TK issues I'm having:

Potatoes pushing me out in the open while I try to hold a flank in a sidescrapping or hull down positon.

Absolutely none of that would be addressed by turning off team damage.

27 minutes ago, Marty said:

Is it just me who sees the irony?

Seriously dude, chill. You're overreacting. What you say is going to happen is either

> completely stupid - "You will get tanks just yoloing in to groups of enemies specifically so that arty can spam them"

Who the fuck would throw away their tank just so his arty can shoot enemies? Even if somebody does that, how effective is it? Non-existing issue.

"You will get people spamming gold way, way more than you see now (yes really) into crowds of tanks from both sides brawling knowing they dont have to do more than aim in the general direction of the group and rely on not being able damage the same side tanks."

Thanks, I'd still rather aim my shots and actually hit enemies rather than spam in general direction because I don't have to worry about team DMG. Non-existing issue.

> pubbies are never going to exploit it or it's so rare it's basically not going to happen - "You will get people deliberately aiming at their own team tanks to exploit ricochet mechanics to hit enemies around corners."

Srsly exploiting ricochet to hit enemies around corners? How often do you think there is possibility to make that shot, how often does said shot actually hit AND pen, and how manny pubbies are going to do that? Non-existing issue.

- "Big TDs firing hesh or HE into groups of brawling tanks basically rekking face for no skill whatsoever."

You'd literally have to have 5 tanks facehugging each other for this to be effective, the TD would have to have clear LOS into the enemies, and it has to be either 183/4005 or Type 5, nothing else has enough splash. Again, hitting correct target in correct places with 183/Type 5 > super rare splash of more tanks. Non-existing issue.

"You know those replays where some awesome player succesfully fights off 5 or 6 tanks by hugging a live enemy tank  (e.g.side hugging slow armoured non turreted TDs) and using it as cover forcing the enemy to precision shoot or get around?? Yeah?...nah you will never see that again. They will just load HE and spam you to death."

The same - rare situation, pubbies will not think to load HE, and making accurate shots with AP is more effective. Non-existing issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removal of team damage is not going to change much. All it's going to do is get rid of the rare occasion where you get pissed because teammate shot you, whether it was on accident or on purpose.

tl;dr - 

"People wont do stupid things" that is your argument, sorry are you new here in WoT land?

Because suiscouting never happens right..? Of course people will do stupid shit.

And just because you won't do it, will not mean the baddie won't. Hell, half of them spam HE now.

Ok I get it you are complacent about this potential change. But let's say you are right and people don't exploit no team damage. Are you really claiming that team damage and team killing is a big deal now requiring this change?

Those things you say will happen if they remove team damage will be more uncommon than pools medals.

Doing this just means griefers will push people out more.

The real horror is that I won't be able to reset my battle buddies or TK during SH.

About the only thing I see affected would be arty would be a lot more likely to take close shots when a team mate is in a circle of death with an enemy. . . who am I kidding, arty always takes that shot now anyway.

4 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

About the only thing I see affected would be arty would be a lot more likely to take close shots when a team mate is in a circle of death with an enemy. . . who an I kidding, arty always takes that shot now anyway.

I'd assume no team damage would extend to stun

4 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

Now we need cocky moderators to censor every post.

4 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

Now we need cocky moderators to censor every post.

~banned for disputing moderation~

Tking is a useful tactic, its how I turn a tomato into hard cover.

7 hours ago, Hally said:

TK issues I'm having:

The worst part is turning off team damage wont help this

Reflective FF when. This is especially good for arty fags, countless timessplashed and stunned with team arty leaching damage in close combat brawl. 

7 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

Don't forget to post that the Tiger II is better than the Defender because it has more APCR pen

One wonders about a business model aimed at the lowest common denominator. But based on our faith in WG I'm sure it is completely sound.

4 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

I'd assume no team damage would extend to stun

Dude it's WG they will find a bug for arty to do no team dmg but to stun you regardless. 

If we can deduce one thing from this then it is that WGs tactic works.

Instead of real but risky changes that might push the game forward, WG is going the way of pumping up mostly insignificant things.

We MIGHT disable team damage but it will be after a lengthy process of testing, because, you know, these things are very very hard. So better not expect anything, at all. Btw here is our new prem tank, the Star Wars themed FV 215b 183 in cooperation with Disney.

if they turn off team damage, how are you supposed to teamkill arty fags who keep complaining about everything?

6 minutes ago, Strigonx said:

if they turn off team damage, how are you supposed to teamkill arty fags who keep complaining about everything?

I would suggest playing in a way, that doesn't upset your team-mates in the first place.

19 minutes ago, Strigonx said:

Barrel method? If self TD will stay as it is.