Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raulz0r

I need a new monitor

13 posts in this topic

So basically I have become dissatisfied with my monitor mostly because of the poor display quality for this day and age. I currently have a 19.5" BenQ monitor http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/gl2023a/, I played some twitch streams on my TV and I noticed the day and night difference in quality between the 2 products. My budget is around $150 (120 Euros) and I have set my eyes so far on 2 LG monitors both with different selling points 1st is http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-23MP68VQ-P because of the posibility of using FreeSync and the 2nd is http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-25UM58-P-ultrawide-monitor which is an ultrawide monitor. 

Any other suggestions in my price range also comments regarding my choices would be highly appreciated. 

What GPU are you using?

And for 150$ you only get ... medicore image quality and display size at best.

Edit: just checked pricing on the models you mentioned ... were do you get them 50€ below market price in europe?

23MP68VQ-P is available in my country at exactly around 130 Euros new, while 25UM58-P I found it used for 100 Euros.

My GPU is NVIDIA GTX 950 WindForce

I 'd go with the 23MP68VQ-P  for several reasons, though I couldn't find decent reviews (amazon/newegg ... don't qualify)

• Freesync, you can't use it atm with your Nvidia GPU, but switching from GT950 to a used RX460 (4GB) or RX560 (4GB) should be possible without much financial investment after selling the 950
  • even if you stick with the GT950, the 75Hz monitor refreshrate is an improvement and might indicate the option for overclocking the display to maybe 90 - 100Hz
  • 1920x1080 better fits your current GPU situation. More pixels need more GPU horse power.
  • The display should in theory be able to deliver better colors (8vs6 bit). Though I highly recommend doing a basic calibration with "Eizo monitor test" regardles which model you pick.

Though I personally find the aspect ratio of 21:9 attractive, the resolution of 2560x1080 looks horrible imo. Ultrawide (21:9) only makes sense to me if you step it up to 1440 vertical pixels, which is out of question with that budget.

I might be tempted to sell the GTX, but I can't find either of those GPUs you listed where I live. 

12 hours ago, raulz0r said:

I might be tempted to sell the GTX, but I can't find either of those GPUs you listed where I live. 

That doesn't change my recommendation.

----------------------

Where do you live?

Depending on the market something like a used R9 380 could be an option (shouldnt be that expensive). Though for that you might need a better PSU, if you are currently using some cheap junk from a prebuilt system or something similar.

14 minutes ago, JMak97008 said:

See if this deal works for you...as of yesterday, Fry's was still shipping.  You have to sign up for an email code or you can call Fry's one.  $167 for a 75hz, freesync, full hd ips monitor...https://slickdeals.net/f/10508488-fry-s-email-exclusive-27-lg27mp59g-p-1ms-75hz-1080p-free-sync-gaming-ips-monitor-167-w-tuesday-promo-code?src=SiteSearch

:notlikethis:

When shipping (if available) will be "nearly" as expensive as the monitor ...

1 minute ago, Folterknecht said:

When shipping (if available) will be "nearly" expensive as the monitor ...

Lols, I didnt realize that he wasn't in the US...Imma noob.

Cheers for the recommendation but shipping from US to Romania would double the cost of the monitor most likely. :) 

17 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

When shipping (if available) will be "nearly" as expensive as the monitor ...

And on top of that 1080p @ 27”

:bigdoge:

I'm using ViewSonic VX254252 x 2 UHD monitors.  2ms refresh rate.  1920 x 1080 overclocked at 75 mhz.  I'm getting close to 100 fps.  $126 each at Office Depot.  Can't beat that for performance without spending a ton of money.

Using an GeForce GTX 750 Ti with 4 gigs of ram for video card for the video card.

Might consider OCing my video card 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0