Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JMak97008

Monitor overclock - Acer - G257HL BMIDX

14 posts in this topic

I'm attempting to overclock this monitor hopefully up to 75hz (one Amazon reviewer got up this high). My build uses a XFX R9 280X and I have Radeon Settings installed. Using Win10 64-bit. Monitor is connected to the pc via hdmi, though I don't know the hdmi version.

So far, I have tried both Radeon Settings and CRU to overclock this monitor. In Radeon Settings, I've gone to Display, create custom resolution, and changed to 61, 70, and 75 followed by going to the desktop, right-clicking, display settings, display adapter, then monitor tab and selecting the new refresh rate. The screen blacks out when saving the custom resolution in Radeon Settings and after selecting the new refresh is display settings, but when I go to the ufo test site, that site reports 60 refresh (the bar beneath the ufo animation always goes to "Ready", though.

Using CRU, I follow the instructions to add the new refresh rates, change to LCD Standard, and then restart64 to restart the driver, then go into the display settings, monitor tab, and select the new refresh, and, again, ufo test with a reported 60 refresh.

Can anyone help me find a guide for this specific model or provide some advice on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, BlackAdder said:

Just use vsync and check FPS. You should get 75 locked (set low details). 

Cuz I'm dumb and want to make sure I understand. I should go ahead and, using Radeon Settings, create a custom resolution and in there change the refresh rate, then go into windows display settings and select the new refresh rate, and then restart the pc? Start up a new game, enable vsync, and then check fps? If I set refresh at 70, then with sync enabled, I should see 70fps? If so, then the refresh change worked? 

1 hour ago, Haswell said:

I say just test with a proper game and forgo the browser test.

OK, following adder's suggestion above? Thanks! 

4 minutes ago, JMak97008 said:

Cuz I'm dumb and want to make sure I understand. I should go ahead and, using Radeon Settings, create a custom resolution and in there change the refresh rate, then go into windows display settings and select the new refresh rate, and then restart the pc? Start up a new game, enable vsync, and then check fps? If I set refresh at 70, then with sync enabled, I should see 70fps? If so, then the refresh change worked? 

OK, following adder's suggestion above? Thanks! 

Yes. If you have low details and vSync, FPS should be locked 70 (or whatever Hz is set). 

14 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

Yes. If you have low details and vSync, FPS should be locked 70 (or whatever Hz is set). 

Details as in gfx settings? Currently, I only play wot and the gfx are nearly maxed out on all options and without vSync, the game tells me that I'm running 85+ fps. So...once I make the refresh rate change in Radeon Settings, update the windows display adapter, and restart, then I should open wot and enable vSync and see if the fps is locked to the new refresh rate by looking at the in game fps? 

Thanks for dealing with these questions... 

2 minutes ago, JMak97008 said:

Details as in gfx settings? Currently, I only play wot and the gfx are nearly maxed out on all options and without vSync, the game tells me that I'm running 85+ fps. So...once I make the refresh rate change in Radeon Settings, update the windows display adapter, and restart, then I should open wot and enable vSync and see if the fps is locked to the new refresh rate by looking at the in game fps? 

Thanks for dealing with these questions... 

If you maxed out push over 85+ then there is no need lowering settings, just use vSync and 70Hz=70 FPS. 

Unless said game doesn't actually do vsync properly and just lock the framerate at "normal" numbers like 60.

Why the fuck would you use WoT to bench?

20 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

If you maxed out push over 85+ then there is no need lowering settings, just use vSync and 70Hz=70 FPS. 

My monitor default is 60hz and I want to up that refresh to 70 or even 75. I can run wot at high fps and want to see more of that via a higher refresh rate, hence the attempt to oc the monitor. 

5 minutes ago, Haswell said:

Unless said game doesn't actually do vsync properly and just lock the framerate at "normal" numbers like 60.

Why the fuck would you use WoT to bench?

I surely wouldn't. 

3 minutes ago, JMak97008 said:

My monitor default is 60hz and I want to up that refresh to 70 or even 75. I can run wot at high fps and want to see more of that via a higher refresh rate, hence the attempt to oc the monitor. 

I surely wouldn't. 

You don't read. I don't care about reasons, i'm telling you how to test if you are running 70 Hz / 75Hz, and use that link i posted for frame skipping (that's thing with some oced monitros).

I just said if you use vSync and OCed monitor, FPS should be locked on referesh number example 60 Hz = 60 FPS lock, 70 Hz = 70 FPS lock etc.

3 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

You don't read. I don't care about reasons, i'm telling you how to test if you are running 70 Hz / 75Hz, and use that link i posted for frame skipping (that's thing with some oced monitros).

I just said if you use vSync and OCed monitor, FPS should be locked on referesh number example 60 Hz = 60 FPS lock, 70 Hz = 70 FPS lock etc.

Easy now. I did read. I understand what you're saying, but was confused by the last post. I appreciate the time you're taking to help me with this. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0