Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlorbFnarb

Japanese carriers

6 posts in this topic

Is it just me or is the Hosho drastically inferior to the Langley?  Langley fighters practically instantly delete even upgraded Hosho fighters.  I mean, it isn't even a contest.

Doesn't help that I've played only four matches and all four have been blowout losses right from the start, but seriously, the planes seem unimpressive.

Take tiers four and five with a grain of salt when it comes to carriers, things don't get interesting until you get to tier six, where you can actually do strafes and manual drops. Tier six is also arguably the most balanced tier in the game for carriers with the Independence versus the Ryujo, after that it's all downhill for the U.S. carriers, though the Essex and Midway aren't too bad.

5 minutes ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

Take tiers four and five with a grain of salt when it comes to carriers, things don't get interesting until you get to tier six, where you can actually do strafes and manual drops. Tier six is also arguably the most balanced tier in the game for carriers with the Independence versus the Ryujo, after that it's all downhill for the U.S. carriers, though the Essex and Midway aren't too bad.

What tier do you get to pick your loadout of planes?

Psst: there are specific subfolders for carriers/cruisers/destroyers, etc. 

More seriously: yeah, the Langley is probably marginally better than the Hosho – but that's probably the last time the balance leans that way.

8 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

What tier do you get to pick your loadout of planes?

You mean choice of carrier air groups? Starting at Tier 5.

4 hours ago, bathoz said:

Psst: there are specific subfolders for carriers/cruisers/destroyers, etc. 

More seriously: yeah, the Langley is probably marginally better than the Hosho – but that's probably the last time the balance leans that way.

Langley is worse than Hosho, except for one thing: Fighter superiority. An experienced player can work around that problem on a Hosho and then continues to outperform the Langley by virtue of two torpedo-squads.

9 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

The removal of manual attacks and strafes was not a wise decission. Once upon a time I argued for the removal of manual attacks, as I felt they are overpowered and I still think they are, but I also think that they need to be balanced otherwise. Why? Simple. No strafing means terrible air control for any CV. No manual attacks means, that you can not really punish bad battleship-playing, for example, non-moving battleships are capable of dodging IJN cross drops in the lower tiers. Just wtf. Not to mention that a lack of manual attacks makes dive bombers just that much worse for no good reason.

16 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Is it just me or is the Hosho drastically inferior to the Langley?  Langley fighters practically instantly delete even upgraded Hosho fighters.  I mean, it isn't even a contest.

Doesn't help that I've played only four matches and all four have been blowout losses right from the start, but seriously, the planes seem unimpressive.

The current state is, in essence, how carrier-play used to be during CBT. Nowadays air control combat is mostly about strafing runs, no strafes means autowin for the US in terms of fighter-combat. The IJN doesn't yet have the advantage of a drastically higher amount of CAGs, so it's significantly harder to work around US air superiority. However, it is still doable, as the US still only fields one fighter-CAG and the Hosho fields two torp squads instead of one, which allows for more damage than on Langley.

3 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

You mean choice of carrier air groups? Starting at Tier 5.

Langley is worse than Hosho, except for one thing: Fighter superiority. An experienced player can work around that problem on a Hosho and then continues to outperform the Langley by virtue of two torpedo-squads.

The removal of manual attacks and strafes was not a wise decission. Once upon a time I argued for the removal of manual attacks, as I felt they are overpowered and I still think they are, but I also think that they need to be balanced otherwise. Why? Simple. No strafing means terrible air control for any CV. No manual attacks means, that you can not really punish bad battleship-playing, for example, non-moving battleships are capable of dodging IJN cross drops in the lower tiers. Just wtf. Not to mention that a lack of manual attacks makes dive bombers just that much worse for no good reason.

The current state is, in essence, how carrier-play used to be during CBT. Nowadays air control combat is mostly about strafing runs, no strafes means autowin for the US in terms of fighter-combat. The IJN doesn't yet have the advantage of a drastically higher amount of CAGs, so it's significantly harder to work around US air superiority. However, it is still doable, as the US still only fields one fighter-CAG and the Hosho fields two torp squads instead of one, which allows for more damage than on Langley.

Good to know.  Still getting my feet wet in this carrier stuff.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0