ThomChen114

STG Guard - worth the gold?

38 posts in this topic

Image result for stg guard

Just in case some people weren't aware of this, here goes: 

Description (with some redacted notes)

Developed as a J.V. Stalin Academy of the WPRA Mechanization and Motorization Program project totally not a napkin design. According to numerous sources that nobody made up, it started in 1949 so was silly putty. The vehicle had a forward placed engine bay (frontal engine fires anyone?), and the fighting compartment in the back, something unseen in a Soviet tank. The tank was canceled during the project phase aka never physically built.

Tier VIII USSR premium Medium Tank
Health: 1350
Engine power: 400 HP
Weight: 28 t
Max. weight: 30 t
Power-to-weight: 14,29 HP/t
Max. speed forward/backwards: 50/-20 km/h
Traverse speed: 46,94 °/s
Turret traverse speed: 36,5 °/s
Terrain resistance: 0,671 / 0,767 / 1,534
View range: 370 m
Signal range: 730 m
Crew: 4

Hull armor: 100 / 45 / 45
Turret armor: 210 / 180 / 45

Gun: 122 mm D-25TS

Damage: 390 / 390 / 530
Penetration: 212 / 248 / 61
Fire rate: 4,47
DPM: 1 743
Reload speed: 13,42 s
Accuracy: 0,316
Aim time: 2,21 s
Gun depression/elevation: -6 / +17

The obvious comparison is the Obj 416, it's a tad bigger but has a fully traversable turret with -6 degrees gun depression all around. The STG sucks out on the DPM department though, but that's not too surprising or a bad thing necessarily considering its playstyle. It should feel familiar to players used to tanks like the A-44, Obj 416 and Obj 430 II. But unlike those tanks, the STG packs a 122mm gun, and since preferential MM is dead it doesn't suffer penetration (212mm AP pen). The gun handling is also decent, and you can actually snipe with this tank in a pinch.
Armor wise, the hull isn't that good, but its low profile nature plus your typical Russian turret makes the STG a decent (but not invulnerable) at hull down positions. Mobility isn't its standout feature, but being low profile you can bet it'll have decent concealment.

Some may call it the baby Defender, and the comparisons are understandable. But unlike the Obj 252U, it isn't idiot-proof due to its poor hull armor, rear-mounted turret and low-ish DPM. It certainly isn't a Russian Chrysler, and that's definitely some good news. 

With the recent buffs to the T-44-100 and T-54 mod 1 making those somewhat viable/usable, to an extent, and tier 8 MM being a pain nowadays, I don't expect it to flood the game like the Defender did.

Reasons to Buy:

• Don't own any tier 8 Soviet premium medium tank
  • Familiar with rear mounted turret tanks
  • Familiar with Russian 122mm gun bias
  • Pixel tank collector
  • Weird fetish fondness for Soviet tanks and Soviet patriotic artwork
  • Willing to spend at least 44 USD/37 EURO not on food or other "necessities"

Reasons NOT to Buy:

• Already own a tier 8 Soviet premium medium tank for training purposes
  • Already own another tier 8 premium tank for credit farming purposes
  • Don't like Soviet medium tanks
  • Saving money for the Obj 277, Obj 278, Obj 279, or Obj 770 or whatever WG comes up with next

3 hours ago, GloriousPotatoes said:

Worth the Gold?

Wait you can buy it ingame?

not in the literal sense

Reasons not to buy:

It's a tier 8 medium.

...but better than pretty much all the tree ones.

That's not saying much considering the class as a whole is severely underpowered compared to heavies.

But this gets a heavy tank gun instead of a 240 alpha peashooter. 

Qtm0l1j.png

83 games in 12 hours, a bit tired.

Top level camo, low profile, good speed and good gun handling.

Credit making ability is slightly below average, doesn't have artificially up'ed credit coefficient like lowe or S1, but good acc makes it okay for cred making.

I went with BiA+Camo+learned repair after a few games.

Overall its pretty fun to play, you can hit 27% camo while moving with full camo crew, with is about as high as it gets for a medium tank and is equal to even some of the light tanks, its a pretty good ambusher.

-6 depression makes it far better at shooting on uneven ground compared to 416's -3 and 430's -4, full range turret is cool too, allowing for run and gun.

Equipment wise i went with the conservative Rammer+Vent+VS.

But i think GLD may be better than vent, as even tho STG has good acc, it has a high movement dispersion of 0.21, which means stopping to shoot while running at full speed is gonna lead to a long aimtime, and GLD may help way more than the tiny acc bonus that Vent provides.

Other option being Binoc optic is useless due to low base VR of 370, with optics you can maybe get 450 with recon+SA+food+BiA, but thats nothing in this meta, with Guard's high base camo, a Binoc could make it extremely viable in lategame stalemates on open maps, not to mention giving it some independent movement allowance(low dpm on STG means you can't travel alone, as most tanks will outtrade you, and low base VR means you prob won't see them in time to escape with vent).

Its an unique and fun tank to play, but not a good cred maker by any stretch.

4 minutes ago, CarbonWard said:

How about piss poor AP round in current super heavy meta. Can you sneak behind/ side and do some damage or you are forced to sling gold ammo and bounce/pen with luck of RNG?

Also how turret holds up against CR/Gold ammo? 

I did my session with only AP and no food, 212 pen works just fine if you abuse your high camo for first shot advantage.

11 minutes ago, CarbonWard said:

10 mil profit in 83 battles / 12 hours doesn't sound that bad... did that include boosters or anything? Actually that being said, what is a benchmark for a good credit earner?

50% boosters with 2 hours of clan boost.

with these i made a profit of 122000/game.

"good" would be around 125k+ profit without any clan booster like patriot/lowe

35 minutes ago, CarbonWard said:

I did my session with only AP and no food, 212 pen works just fine if you abuse your high camo for first shot advantage.

So you find this competitive in current meta. Nice.

I kinda always preferred camo and mobility vs armor so this might be nice pick instead of 252U. 

Did you play Defender, how you rate this against that pile of shit (imo)?

2 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

So you find this competitive in current meta. Nice.

I kinda always preferred camo and mobility vs armor so this might be nice pick instead of 252U. 

Did you play Defender, how you rate this against that pile of shit (imo)?

Defender prob will win more games than this, given the armor just carries in tier 8.

cred making wise defender also wins slightly.

But both of the above are only small differences.

Would you say the turret is reliable enough? It has a pretty glaring cupola weskspot.

Less DPM than the IS-3, ewwwww

IMO this tank sacrifices too much for the 122mm. The T-44 has about 400 more DPM and the 416 has almost 1k more, although the STG does have better flat accuracy than both. Moreover, the armour is unreliable and lacks bully potential. The rear turret placement is awkward, and it cannot sidescrape reliably due to the hull cheeks. All this makes it a dedicated support tank - but even in that role it is merely decent due to the DPM.

This really might be a case of a player not the tank, I have no idea how you managed to do that much damage, (other than you know, skill) but all of the ones I ran into yesterday were pretty much a joke for anything T8+ (and in 2 cases my Type 64) to pen their armor.

I actually hope they sell a lot of them as its nice to shoot at a new premium that's pretty much point and pen.

Semi cancerous gun handling. But with equipment and food it's more tolerable. I hope they open exchange of premiums once again. 

screencapture-tanks-gg-compare-guard-150

I can attest to what Carbon has said in all of his points. 

Isn't too good for credits but otherwise isn't your typical dopey Tier 8 med. The nutty accuracy for 390 damage is pretty fun to wop people with. 

3 hours ago, Rspctd said:

I can attest to what Carbon has said in all of his points. 

Isn't too good for credits but otherwise isn't your typical dopey Tier 8 med. The nutty accuracy for 390 damage is pretty fun to wop people with. 

I don't believe him, he is too good. :serb:

In terms of the wallet vote, I'm surprised by the lack of these in randoms on SEA. Maybe 1 per side. Often none at all. Pubbies bought the Primo Vitoria shitbox on mass.  Had heaps of games where there were several of them per team. The STG is genuinely novel, at the very least. The workings of the pubbie mind...