canadiantrex

Hurricane Irma survival thread

73 posts in this topic

Sandbags in place. Supplies prepared. Cars fueled up. Preparing for The Big One (tm).

I'm in the middle of the state, just south of Orlando. Seeing many evacuees from south Florida. 

Will be updating on here and wotlabs discord for as long as I'm able to.

Will be attempting to tape a webcam to a window and livestream the storm for as long as I have power.

Matthew last year was a warning. I really, honestly believe that Irma will fuck shit up and people will die.

I'm up in the panhandle and still hoping we miss most of it, they move the track further west every time I look at it. There are A LOT of evacuees up here.

Ivan really ****ed us up back in 2004. Since then I've moved into a house with the bay in front and a canal behind because dumb. So, I REALLY don't want it to hit us. 

Do you have big trees around your place? If so, then be careful. Those things cause a lot of damage when they come down. I don't let trees grow next to my house anymore. 

9 minutes ago, monjardin said:

I'm up in the panhandle and still hoping we miss most of it, they move the track further west every time I look at it. There are A LOT of evacuees up here.

Ivan really ****ed us up back in 2004. Since then I've moved into a house with the bay in front and a canal behind because dumb. So, I REALLY don't want it to hit us. 

Do you have big trees around your place? If so, then be careful. Those things cause a lot of damage when they come down. I don't let trees grow next to my house anymore. 

No. Just small shrubbery that should actually be halfway decent at stopping debris.

I left Daytona and went to spend a couple days up with a useless reptile. Drive was pretty awful getting out of Florida abd Georgia. My father and aunt are staying in lake beuna vista. Some of my friends though went down to punta gorda which is really bad. I havent heard if their plans changed.

Don't be stupid and get the fuck out of there if you can, especially if you live anywhere near the southcoast of Florida.

This was the aftermath of Katrina hitting Missisippi back in 2005 as a Category 3 Storm:

katrina_gulfport_pair6-lg.jpg

Irma is predicted to hit Florida directly as a Category 4, potentially 5 Storm, it is like a fucking nuke going off and Florida will suffer unprecedented amounts of damage.

If you live there, get your family and get the fuck out of there asap.

My dad and his girl friend are going to ride it out in Punta Gorda, my Aunt and uncle are riding it out in Port Charlotte.  Knuckleheads, all of them . . .

Argh! All week the track keeps moving west. Meteorology and economics are a sham. 

at201711_ensmodel.gif

I've been invite to stay with the family in Huntsville, AL; Asheville, NC and Lexington, KY, but those are all in the path too. I may need to revisit Bourbon St. in New Orleans. It's been a few years.

:drunk:

13 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

My dad and his girl friend are going to ride it out in Punta Gorda, my Aunt and uncle are riding it out in Port Charlotte.  Knuckleheads, all of them . . .

Tell them to get the goddamn fuck out of Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte.

31 minutes ago, Inciatus said:

I left Daytona and went to spend a couple days up with a useless reptile. Drive was pretty awful getting out of Florida abd Georgia. My father and aunt are staying in lake beuna vista. Some of my friends though went down to punta gorda which is really bad. I havent heard if their plans changed.

Where in Lake Buena Vista? That's literally where I live and work.

I planned to evacuate with my girlfriend but she's staying for personal reasons, I decided to also stay because I don't want to be out of state if something bad happens to her, God forbid. She lives about an hour and a half from me, she's on the east coast but she's further south than I am which is giving me a ton of anxiety.

I've spent the day boarding windows and tomorrow I'm going to sandbag the entryways. The biggest concern right now is the wind. Matthew's outer bands took out 4 trees when it brushed by as a category 3, and now a strong category 3 or even a 4 is bearing down on me.

Prayers for anyone who's in South Florida, this is going to be hard to recover from.

17 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

Tell them to get the fuck out of there and don't take a "no" as an answer, they are most likely going to suffer a direct hit otherwise.

DJPFdL8UEAE1-Sx.jpg

That's what it looks like when you're [email protected]

Staying in the keys when an extremely powerful category 5 is bearing down on you? lol

1 hour ago, monjardin said:

I've been invite to stay with the family in Huntsville, AL; Asheville, NC and Lexington, KY, but those are all in the path too. I may need to revisit Bourbon St. in New Orleans. It's been a few years. 

That far north, it should only be a shitty rain storm/tropical depression.  I live and work as a professional EMT in HSV, and we're not doing anything special, though I am on a 1 hour timer for deploying to support Irma.  Yay!

Stay safe, all.

I didnt actually know or understand just how bad this will be until reading this thread.

Stay safe guys

1 hour ago, canadiantrex said:

Tell them to get the goddamn fuck out of Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte.

Where in Lake Buena Vista? That's literally where I live and work.

I think at one of the hampton inns. Also my friends decided to stay in Daytona.

GL & HF to all Floridafams, I'm glad we don't have to deal with this shit in Eastern Europe, the occassional ice storms and mountain winds at some 120-150km/h (75-90mph) are quite enough ;-;

Stay safe.

I guess good luck...

Also, Isnt florida so low that big storm surges are super extra risky already?

ps:I never get why americans (or any other rich developed nations for that matter (see almost yearly flooding in UK / germany)) doesnt built a few proper dams / dikes / sluices, cat 5 hurican proof might be a bit expensive, but cat 2-3 should be doable for sure

3 minutes ago, GehakteMolen said:

I guess good luck...

Also, Isnt florida so low that big storm surges are super extra risky already?

ps:I never get why americans (or any other rich developed nations for that matter (see almost yearly flooding in UK / germany)) doesnt built a few proper dams / dikes / sluices, cat 5 hurican proof might be a bit expensive, but cat 2-3 should be doable for sure

Inland florida is between 50 and just over 300 feet above sea level. So no, storm surges aren't any more dangerous here than anywhere else.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wales_Ridge

Stay safe and have a real life rng on your side. 

42 minutes ago, canadiantrex said:

Inland florida is between 50 and just over 300 feet above sea level. So no, storm surges aren't any more dangerous here than anywhere else.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wales_Ridge

ah, so only the southern tip is really low

fl.jpg

Saint Martin / Sint Maarten got more or less leveled, lets hope for you / people in Florida, it wont be that bad.

7 minutes ago, GehakteMolen said:

ah, so only the southern tip is really low

fl.jpg

Saint Martin / Sint Maarten got more or less leveled, lets hope for you / people in Florida, it wont be that bad.

On that elevation map, see the red dot just above the "O" in Orlando? I used to live a couple miles from that. It's Sugar Loaf Mountain and the views of the surrounding low lying flatness of Florida are fucking spectacular.