canadiantrex

Hurricane Irma survival thread

73 posts in this topic

im hunkered down here in hernando county far enough away from the mandatory evac of zone a and b if i was still living in my old house i would be heading up somewhere got some family in SC,NC,NY but we have pets here so we are riding this out. we dont even have enough wood to board up our windows so lets hope nothing comes thru. everyone who is in a mandatory evac zone please go to a shelter or drive up out of harms way, stay safe everyone! 

3 minutes ago, Draco912 said:

im hunkered down here in hernando county far enough away from the mandatory evac of zone a and b if i was still living in my old house i would be heading up somewhere got some family in SC,NC,NY but we have pets here so we are riding this out. we dont even have enough wood to board up our windows so lets hope nothing comes thru. everyone who is in a mandatory evac zone please go to a shelter or drive up out of harms way, stay safe everyone! 

Good luck. 

Today is your last chance to load up the animals and book it for South Carolina.

Either way, good luck, bro.

GL Rex.  Looks like you are in a fairly safe location.  The tip of FL is screwed.

Just now, canadiantrex said:

Good luck. 

Today is your last chance to load up the animals and book it for South Carolina.

Either way, good luck, bro.

you too my friend hopefully this one will end like all the other ones i have been riding out. been living here since i was born in 1991 and if i remember correctly we never evacuated and never had much damage or flooding, going to go later to the stores to see if they have anything restocked or not, we got plenty of water/snacks and stocked up on animal food last week. atleast if the power goes out we got some board games and coloring books to keep us busy :)

Damn, stay safe fellow muricans. I might not like you all the time, but i really wish everything will end up the best way it can. GL

Filipino here, get battered by typhoons practically every year.

Prep your food, water, flashlight with extra batteries, make sure that shit is non-perishable or you're fucked. Keep a radio with you and stay updated on the storm, especially when the internet inevitably goes down. Even if you're planning to hunker down, pack a backpack with some clothes and canned goods if you pussy out last minute and want to go. Surely at this stage you would have assessed structural integrity, but if you haven't make sure you go ahead and do that.
After the storm passes look around the area and asses damage, help out whoever needs it, and contact your family and tell them you're okay.
Stay safe there, man. I hate the howling winds, sounds like Mother Nature laughing at me.

Made my last walmart supply run. Got beer, extra water, more canned food.

Leaving the store was interesting... To copy paste from a Facebook convo with my roommates: Yes Mr. Jackass who nearly ran me over in the walmart crosswalk, roll your window down and ask the guy with the loaded 9mm if he "wants to go"

He drove off when the cars behind him laid on their horn cause he wasn't moving, lol.

Finally convinced dad to head inland.  He was literally on the water in Punta Gorda and planning on staying.  

"What are you going to do dad, put Susie and the dog on the pool table?"  

I don't care if he just goes inland 15-20 miles, just get off the fucking canal.  Looks like he's headed to Daytona, then home to WV.  My guess is that he and Susie were worried about some of their neighbors that are pretty old and feeble - but at a point, you need to pull anchor and haul ass.  Watching my stubborn assed dad is like watching a movie trailer for my future . . . 

Thread reminds me why p2w is probably not that big a deal. Stay safe and see you on the other side.

1 hour ago, canadiantrex said:

Made my last walmart supply run. Got beer, extra water, more canned food.

Leaving the store was interesting... To copy paste from a Facebook convo with my roommates: Yes Mr. Jackass who nearly ran me over in the walmart crosswalk, roll your window down and ask the guy with the loaded 9mm if he "wants to go"

He drove off when the cars behind him laid on their horn cause he wasn't moving, lol.

luckily me and my dad made our last walmart/publix trip before they closed at noon even tho last night the news said 8pm got some bread/hotdogs, mac and cheese, and got like 10 cans of soup from publix with less than 10min to spair even got gas and suprisingly everyone here was so considerate. everyone be safe. 

1 hour ago, Draco912 said:

luckily me and my dad made our last walmart/publix trip before they closed at noon even tho last night the news said 8pm got some bread/hotdogs, mac and cheese, and got like 10 cans of soup from publix with less than 10min to spair even got gas and suprisingly everyone here was so considerate. everyone be safe. 

I went to Publix as well this afternoon for some wine and a few other things, everyone at Publix was polite and considerate. Walmart was a fucking clusterfuck.

Walmart is a hellhole on a good day.  I BARELY went there to pick up my free copy of Star Wars The Force Awakens...

Walmart Shoppers + Hurricane Approaching =  GTFO

Post a link to the Hurricane Cam once you start rolling.

5 minutes ago, NightmareMk9 said:

Walmart is a hellhole on a good day.  I BARELY went there to pick up my free copy of Star Wars The Force Awakens...

Walmart Shoppers + Hurricane Approaching =  GTFO

Post a link to the Hurricane Cam once you start rolling.

Attempting to install the fucking camera software and get the cunt working.

Will be duck taped to a window and plugged into the PC via a USB extension cord and a USB hub so it reaches, lol.

1 hour ago, canadiantrex said:

Attempting to install the fucking camera software and get the cunt working.

Will be duck taped to a window and plugged into the PC via a USB extension cord and a USB hub so it reaches, lol.

I hope your camera shows nothing more than some wet shrubs as the worst misses you.  Odd about people being douchbags at Walmart. You'd think in a concealed carry state everyone would be polite. 

Current GFS models are calling for a pressure of 901mb at landfall, this would likely make Irma a strong category 5 at landfall. I understand a lot of people lean towards the euro model, but GFS has simulated Irma's intensity with the most accuracy out of all models.

These are just predictions, but unfortunately it's still possible. She's moving into waters with very favorable conditions for strengthening, there are already signs of this with how rapidly her pressure has dropped in the past hours. The waters she's moving into are very warm with no significant wind shear and her movement has decreased to 9mph. This is looking really bad.

uwPc9Lq.png

Stay safe Florida.

So... As I posted on the stream... some "fun" news...

The county immediately north of me just issued a mandatory evac order from mobile homes. I'm between the storm and that county. And directly on the other side of the fence in my livestream is....mobile homes.

im up in jax near the St. johns river. all good hear. about 89 feet above sea level. water, check. food, check. helmet. check. letz do this. 

This is the newest data I can find on water surface temperature for roughly where the storm's eye should be right now. Source

60153c69d5702773bc96ce6b9a4070cf.png

4-5 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than usual, or at least it was around Friday night, shouldn't be too different right now. I'd say there's a good chance the storm will strengthen over that water.