canadiantrex

Hurricane Irma survival thread

73 posts in this topic

We received the edge of one of her outer bands, power flickered for a few minutes and we lost a decent sized oak. Yard is already flooded, county is forcing mandatory evacuations for multiple zones. To make things worse, everything is pointing towards further strengthening.

Hold tight Florida, you're about to get slammed.

Wixe3qy.jpg

GFS is still showing a <910mb landfall. For comparison, Andrew was 922mb at landfall.

gfs_mslp_uv850_11L_4.png

The interaction with Cuba and the incoming wind shear prevented Irma from going absolutely fucking nuclear and decimating South Florida. The damage was and is still going to be catastrophic, the flooding is still a very serious threat even as she weakens. I hear people saying "oh it's just a Category 2", Irma isn't "just" anything, she's still a very serious storm, Sandy was a Category 1 when she slammed into NJ.

Also, PSA: Two men are posing as Florida Power & Light workers and robbing people at gunpoint in Viera, be on the lookout.

Following the news and Irma is hitting harder than old arty ever could.

And scumbags exist everywhere. RC's PSA is confirmed by the news. Take care folks.

Suffered a partial power loss. 2 rooms in my apartment have full power. Moved the computer and modem. Back up.

4 hours ago, monjardin said:

How is everyone this morning?

^

I assume the power is out

As a Kissimmee Utility Authority customer, we know you need information to make plans, and we pledge to keep you informed throughout the restoration effort.

Over the next 24 hours, we will be conducting damage assessments across our 85-square mile service area. Once the assessment is complete, we will then provide an estimate of when power will be restored for our customers. At the same time, our crews will be restoring power to critical infrastructure. In fact, just a few minutes ago they restored power to the feeders that power Florida Hospital Kissimmee and Osceola Regional Medical Center.

You can report outages at 407-933-9898. Please do not post your outage location here.

Image may contain: one or more people, text and outdoor

No news from my folks in Broward county for the past 24hrs, using every communication tool i could find. Expecting it to be power issues. Heard wind was bad enough that a lot of tree have fallen down. Also apparently there were 3 tornado warning in the area last night

Just heard from them, completely lost power and phone line. Crazy wind apparently even thought they are on the east coast. Tons of fallen trees, everywhere... I haven't seen any info from the west coast on the news yet but it must be out of this world... 

I'm in Gulf Breeze, FL, nowhere near the hurricane/tropical storm, and I can hardly open my front door right now from the wind blasting out of the north.

15 years old cocount tree fallen on my cousin Camaro apparently. More than 150miles where the eye made landfall.  

I guess it's better than the other side where it would have fallen on the house.

I don't have KUA even though I'm in Kissimmee. I have Duke Energy. They didn't roll their trucks to assess damage until 1730 today. According to facebook posts the duke energy trucks were last seen this evening bedding down at a Davenport hotel.

FUCK. DUKE. ENERGY.

Power is back on. Duke Energy's response to this storm has been decidedly lackluster compared to FPL, SECO, TECO, and KUA.

My mom lives near Sarasota and came up to stay with us in PA.  She's worried and has had no word from neighbors on conditions or damage.  It's all replaceable, she's not and the insurance will replace it if necesary.  Her trailer is a 1972 model and survived Andrew so I am not worried.

Well just got power last night after losing it on Sunday when a tree uprooted and leaned on a transformer at 10:30pm. tree was on fire, thankfully it was pouring so the rain put it out but the transformer blew like a firework on the 4th of July. so happy to have air conditioning after 3 days. wrec took their time but meh what can you do. 

No damage to our house thankfully the trees fell away from us can't say the same to our neighbor behind us his fence is destroyed from on of our big trees falling on it. now clean up time once we get our electric chainsaws from my dads brother.

Sov is back to full operational status. Will stream tomorrow w/ just gameplay setup as I have no room for green screen and supplies everywhere atm in the room area where my setup is. might go to n00bcam 1.0 for a bit of IRL stuff to discuss what stuff with the storm was like. am very near the black creek area if you have seen that on the news. that water body is super flooded right now. 

Just got power about an hour ago. During the impact from the outer bands and eventually the eyewall I was sitting in my garage recording the conditions with a spotlight. I've lived in Florida my entire life and I've never seen gusts this violent. The outer bands had the trees bending over, small trees falling, and debris flying everywhere. I wasn't paying attention to my radar, but I knew when the eyewall was upon us. Transformers begun to illuminate the sky and we received our first of many violent gusts. This first gust took down 2 trees and had all the other trees bending nearly sideways, couldn't see anything because of the debris flying everywhere and almost total whiteout caused by rain, all while an unnatural roaring is surrounding the entire house. That sound gave me chills.

Our area was hit really hard, just like the rest of the state, there really was no escaping Irma. Irma flooded a local creek (more like a river, but it's called creek) to record levels, reaching major flood status the day after we were hit. The neighborhood along the creek was totally underwater, traffic in and out of town was shut down because of the creek overflowing into the main highway causing severe flooding.

AxHh1sF.jpg

Aknvtcw.jpg

A Category 1 did all of this, but you have to remember this Cat 1 was once an extremely powerful Cat 5. Prayers for Florida, hope you all have a safe recovery.