Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jaegaer

Smoke Changes

7 posts in this topic

I guess the proposed change will have fairly minimal impact on random battles (except on divisions) bc smoking up BBs is rare anyways.

But for ranked and competitive/clanwars this is huge.

Do you think USN DDs are still they way to go? CLs could be pretty good being able to benefit from smoke a lot. IJN DDs could make a comeback, especially the Kagero, in order to outspot the enemy. Last but not least CVs spotting enemy smoke could be cruicial.

Any new ships to get?

I'm not (yet) in the competative scene, but I'd think that air-superiorty will become much more relevant, as well as possibly flanking with DDs or really any fast, concealable ship. Smoke is still going to block line of sight on sea-level after all, so having a long lasting smoke will just be as important as it ever was, you'll just try to avoid your main firing ships to sit in or close to it, in order to play around smoke-dissipation. Obviously this will make "over"- or "around"- smoke-spotting (and counter-tactics) a much more important consideration.

It's a good change for competitive and favors aggressive teams. BBs in smoke were the reason a lot of pushes stall since you can't be sure if you're about to get blapped by a North Carolina. I think you'll see more Amagis and a shift back towards Atagos but I'd need to see the meta shake out first.

The only thing that this changes is BBs in smoke. Most CL/CA smoke hiding is still effective. 5 to 5.5 km concealment will make it useful for all CA's. BBs can use it to heal.

Does this affect secondary fire?I'm wondering if a German BB can still lock down a cap just by using it's secondaries.

I believe I read somewhere that the goes off the caliber of gun, so a German BB in smoke just firing secondaries would classify as a cruiser.  I think.  Or not

On 9/14/2017 at 5:15 PM, MntRunner said:

Does this affect secondary fire?I'm wondering if a German BB can still lock down a cap just by using it's secondaries.

I'm sure you'll see some teams doing that but I don't think it's optimal. You're just doing what your cruisers could be doing anyway and wasting that main battery.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0