Kolni

[Help Wanted] PC starts but fails to boot, then restarts after about 10s

25 posts in this topic

I did some PC cleaning this weekend, and afterwards my PC just stopped booting completely. It was fairly thorough so I removed all parts and wires and put it back together. I have double checked all wires and they are placed correctly, and all the removable parts work together afaik (I could not try the CPU because it had the wrong socket on the PC i used)

I have tried to boot with everything removed removed but PSU and Mobo but I cant even get a signal to a screen. It kept restarting every 10 seconds. 

I was wearing an ESD bracelet during the entirety of this, so shouldnt be any shortcircuiting. 

I was thinking of the Mobo being the culprit, but google didnt really get me any definite answer anyway. I'm upgrading my mobo next month due it being socket 1150 and the i7 I got is an 1151. 

My Mobo is the Gigabyte GA-Z97-Gamlng 3

A month is still a very long time without a PC so I'd really want to get this fixed asap

Welcome to "World of Gigabyte Bootloops".

Shut the PC down, pull the power supply cord from the wall. Press the PC start button 3 times (long). Remove everything except 1 RAM stick incl. GPU. Take out the battery from the motherboard and let it rest at 1/2 hour (or overnight). Your motherboard has video out, if 'm not mistaken, so you should be able to run the PC without dGPU when starting it up in the morning.

Trying to boot without RAM or CPU can also break GB bootloops (sometimes) among other obscure methods.

^^^ Gigabyte has given me so many fucking problems compared to other boards

Had similar symptoms so maybe an outside possibility... mine was partially related to a bad case power switch. Easy to check at least.

Tried this and'll insert the CMOS tomorrow and try to boot

Well, at least your computer didn't catch fire like mine did. :/

I had a vaguely similar issue a long time ago, during the clean one of the case buttons got stuck leads were shorted so it would do this weird boot/shut off thing. If it has a power/reset button on the board itself maybe try removing the case wires and booting up off of that.

No luck still, still bootlooping. 

I actually might just wind up buying a completely new Mobo in a few days if I can't get this fixed. 

I've looked around but havent found anyone selling CMOS batteries to try with a new one...

Batterie isn't responsible for that ...

Did you also remove the CPU when cleaning the board

Edit: here ist is ...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/697533-GUIDE-Forcing-backup-BIOS-on-Gigabyte-motherboards

Will also link it in the pinned "How to thread" here - you 'r not the first wotlabber to has this kind of fun with a GB board

Had that once and the culprit was the CPU. But basically it could also be anything at the MoBo, GPU is unlikely but not impossible.

2 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

Had that once and the culprit was the CPU. But basically it could also be anything at the MoBo, GPU is unlikely but not impossible.

I've tried booting without the CPU. 

Even tried with Mobo, a ram stick and PSU only but no luck there either. 

2 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Batterie isn't responsible for that ...

Did you also remove the CPU when cleaning the board

Edit: here ist is ...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/697533-GUIDE-Forcing-backup-BIOS-on-Gigabyte-motherboards

Will also link it in the pinned "How to thread" here - you 'r not the first wotlabber to has this kind of fun with a GB board

I did remove it, checked the pins underneath and everything was fine

If you aren't even getting to a Bio's splash, it's most likely that somehow the Mobo bricked itself during the cleaning. Obviously, follow what the others said about checking the odd shit with Gigabyte boards but I'd start planning for a new one. 

Did you try the solutions linked in the overclockers-thread?

I had this problem about a month ago because i unplugged the psu while the computer was still on (dont ask how). I plugged it back in and had the looping powering on problem that you described. What ended up fixing it was putting the psu in the off position and then on position. Obviously your culprit may be different and iim sure you've already tried what I did but if you havent give it a try. Good luck

If the board can't be resurected, you might wan't to wait with purchasing a replacement till the beginning of October. Intels Coffeelake will be released at that point incl. 6 core CPUs.

Do you have a spare graphics card? Maybe try booting without GPU (only use Intel HD). 

>using SHITBYTE mobo

You deserve it for picking crap mobo tbh fam :^]

When I had to deal with similar crap, I pulled the PC apart and let it lie for a bit, before putting it back together and it worked, so it's likely I screwed up somewhere. Maybe try that? Sometimes you may not even notice the small things that are wrong.

8 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

Do you have a spare graphics card? Maybe try booting without GPU (only use Intel HD). 

It will not boot with only PSU and Mobo, backup BIOS trick does not work

6 hours ago, EndlessAgony said:

>using SHITBYTE mobo

You deserve it for picking crap mobo tbh fam :^]

When I had to deal with similar crap, I pulled the PC apart and let it lie for a bit, before putting it back together and it worked, so it's likely I screwed up somewhere. Maybe try that? Sometimes you may not even notice the small things that are wrong.

I've deassembled and reassembled it three times since. Checked all wiring, pins and parts and they all work except for the CPU which I havent been able to test.

I gave up on this and new Mobo should arrive tomorrow, time to reclock everything :feelsbad: 

5 hours ago, Kolni said:

It will not boot with only PSU and Mobo, backup BIOS trick does not work

You mean PSU + MBO + CPU + RAM, that’s striped down setup. If it doesn’t boot, MBO most likely.

BTW did you check PSU before MBO switch?

3 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

You mean PSU + MBO + CPU + RAM, that’s striped down setup. If it doesn’t boot, MBO most likely.

BTW did you check PSU before MBO switch?

I have tried all combos, tried rebooting after removing a part everytime

It boots with a different Mobo and CPU, I cant test my CPU because it doesnt fit in that socket.

CPUs dying is a very, very rare event. That usually only happens either through physical mishandling or extreme voltages when overclocking.

What you are describing sounds like a typical Gigabyte BIOS/motherboard fail.

43 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

CPUs dying is a very, very rare event. That usually only happens either through physical mishandling or extreme voltages when overclocking.

New Mobo arrived today so I just gave up on this

Havent picked it up from the post office yet, will update CPU, Mobo, PSU and Ram anyway so pretty much a new PC

2 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Can confirm :serb: