MaxL_1023

So what is up with WOWS?

58 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have recently discovered WOWS and have been trying to drive a dreadnought in the say way I drove a tank - It didn't work too well. 

Any tips for starting out moving up the lines? I have made it to tier 5 in USA and Japanese BBs and USA Cruisers - I want to play the bigger stuff first before trying to figure out Aircraft Carriers and DDs. 

Also, holy RNG shell dispersion batman. 

Thanks,

MaxL_1023

The 4 classes are pretty separate in their performance and how they operate, especially once you get to tier 7-8.  In addition, each nations lines ( some have all four like the US and IJN, others only have 1 or 2 ) have a national flavor to the lines that influence how they play.  For example, German BB's at tier 6 and up develop progressively more powerful secondary guns and develop "turtleback" armor schemes that make them very hard to citadel ( a citadel hit is when an AP round penetrates and detonates in a ships protected area like a boiler room ).  They are brawler BB's that specialize in getting to 8-10 km range and wearing down the opponent.  The IJN BB lines are better at long range fire, when they get in a brawl their HP melts quickly, so they are better at staying at 13-15 km.

Flamu is the best non-CV youtuber in my estimation, and he has a bunch of low tier videos that you will find useful.  Notser and iChase are US youtubers  that are somewhat popular, but I find Flamu to be the most informative and consistently correct about the meta.

Here is an example from his collection of low tier guides to get you started.: 

Thanks - I'll take a look and see how hilariously wrong my initial assumptions are. 

The good news is that if you were a Uni in tanks, you will probably become a Uni in ships fairly quickly.  Low tiers can be infuriating ( like tanks ) because player quality and ship performance are all over the place.  At tier 5/6 it starts to fall into place, and by 7/8 the game starts to reward skilled play.  One huge advantage in Ships over tanks is that the premium ships are equivalent to normal ships you grind.  There are also premium ships you can buy with free xp, as a reward to those who play well and often. It's like the golden era of tanks in someways, hopefully it stays this way for many years.

Be sure and ask community opinion before you buy any premium ships, there is a clearly defined level between good and meh as far as premium ships are concerned.  Little White Mouse from the main forums does a very good job of detailing just about everything pertinent in her ship reviews, they are worth the read.

Everytime I look into how WoWS is being developed and balanced I really wonder how these two games can be run by the same company

Is that a good thing or bad thing? I haven't been on tanks in more than a year so I don't know how badly WG has messed thing up lately. 

6 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Is that a good thing or bad thing? I haven't been on tanks in more than a year so I don't know how badly WG has messed thing up lately. 

Well consdering its nearly impossible to call some of the recent balance decisions on WoT any better than the utter retarded stuff that only a windowlicking oxygen-wasting crayon eater autist retard moron could do...

But you can still see WGs hand in the development, with silly shit like HE focused BBs being released.

WG's had some significant cockups in WoWS recently that is a reminder of their common ancestry. ;)

32 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

But you can still see WGs hand in the development, with silly shit like HE focused BBs being released.

HE Focused BBs? Based on low-tier play that seems to be all of them :) 

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

The TLDR of tanks balance currently is that if they rolled the game back a year to when you quit it would be a much better balanced game.

Per WOWS: BBs are basically the pushing force of the team. If you play a BB you HAVE to be aggressive, because you have all the health, and all the armour. Dont look at those huge range numbers and think you can just snipe with them. Thats how you lose. 

Also, make sure you stay front on. Dont drive out broadside to enemy ships, thats how you get citadeled. A lot. 

Also, up to tier 5, yeah BBs all have terrible accuracy and dispersion. Stops them just deleting everything that they shoot, but it can be frustrating. You get more accurate the higher up the tiers you go. 

Nice - just need to keep grinding then. I also need to invest in firefighting skills - they seem to be tinderboxes due to the HE mechanics. 

3 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

HE Focused BBs? Based on low-tier play that seems to be all of them :) 

RN BBs have merely meh AP, but overbuffed HE, so everyone spams their 40% fire chance HE on them.

5 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Hey guys,

I have recently discovered WOWS and have been trying to drive a dreadnought in the say way I drove a tank - It didn't work too well. 

Any tips for starting out moving up the lines? I have made it to tier 5 in USA and Japanese BBs and USA Cruisers - I want to play the bigger stuff first before trying to figure out Aircraft Carriers and DDs. 

Also, holy RNG shell dispersion batman. 

Thanks,

MaxL_1023

If you want an experienced BB player to division with just add me to your friends list.

2 hours ago, How_Terrible said:

If you want an experienced BB player to division with just add me to your friends list.

Thanks - I'll look you up. 

Its just like WoT. Almost everything before that T6-T7 boundary is unplayable trash.

Get past the NY and Omaha, and you'll get rewarded with the New Mex and Cleveland

Don't be afraid of DD's early, especially IJN ones.  You'll learn the basics of stealth play, learning to abuse detection ranges and such

8 hours ago, publord said:

Its just like WoT. Almost everything before that T6-T7 boundary is unplayable trash.

Get past the NY and Omaha, and you'll get rewarded with the New Mex and Cleveland

Now hold on, there are good ships down there, although mostly premiums.

2 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Now hold on, there are good ships down there, although mostly premiums.

Cruisers are particularly vicious, but it's more like "come back after a few thousand games in and terrorize the low tiers with accurate, high DPM, glass cannons".

I like the Omaha and St. Louis, although the St. Louis was a little slow to play the kind of HE Gunboating I usually end up doing against Battleships in the Omaha. The one thing with low-tier ships is the engagement ranges are forced to be so small that you can't get away with things you can do when you are raining fire down on a BB at 12km. 

Can testify, @map381 is a good WOWS mentor, while @How_Terrible is even worse at WOWS than he is WOT :kappa: (no but seriously, he's a good fella)

And, as has been mentioned Flamuu is superb at this game and its hard to ever find him NOT playing perfectly. I play 1-3 WOWS battles every 2 weeks, but I watch his replays/commentaries nearly every time he post one

I did learn something interesting from Flamu's videos, which was that low tier cruiser AP can actually penetrate something. 

I need to get [email protected] ASAP so I can keep my credibility up.

meh, you'll do fine. I somehow have a 54% WR and Im clueless most of the time

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I did learn something interesting from Flamu's videos, which was that low tier cruiser AP can actually penetrate something. 

I need to get [email protected] ASAP so I can keep my credibility up.

You'd be surprised sometimes how AP can be really useful

Just remember that shooting is the easiest part of this game everything is slow so as long as you think ahead where you'll go and what you'll do next and it will be easy to be purple