MaxL_1023

So what is up with WOWS?

58 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, yoyoya2 said:

You'd be surprised sometimes how AP can be really useful

Just remember that shooting is the easiest part of this game everything is slow so as long as you think ahead where you'll go and what you'll do next and it will be easy to be purple

First I need to figure out all the maps - still going up tiers so I am getting new ones every time I make it to the next ship up. 

1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

First I need to figure out all the maps - still going up tiers so I am getting new ones every time I make it to the next ship up. 

The maps all really play the same, I usually always go to the opposite side than where I spawned, this forces me to not over extend

I just go where it looks like I'll be useful. A bunch of DDs, in an area with a lot of islands, and I'm playing a BB? No thanks, that's asking for trouble. Otherwise, I usually don't think too much about where I go, so long as I can watch the other flank, and react if need be.

Hey Max, you are always welcome to hop into our Discord for the RUST clan, we all keep tier 4/5 "stress relief" ships and I have several tier 2 and 3 as well from rewards.  We are more of a "dad clan" but we are full of Wotlabs guys like Map381, How Terrible, Yoyoya2, MntRunner and Ye Olde Derps,  but we have a lot of fun and we tend to pull down good win rates in 3 man divisions.  Anyone from Wotlabs is welcome to come and Div with us, if you're interested I will pm you a Discord link.

I found being unicum easier in ships than in tanks but I'm also weird. 

There are a few important things that you should bear in mind (I won't talk about basic stuff like angling because you can learn that better elsewhere):

1. There aren't any good analogies to classes in WoT. Don't try to think of BBs as heavies or cruisers as mediums because you'll end up super confused. Play each class, watch vids and get a sense of what makes them what. Feel free to skip carriers though until they fix the UI.

2. Choose a "vanilla" ship line as your first choice. Don't pick something gimmicky like RN cruisers or something that will teach you bad habits like the German Battleships. I'd say anything Japanese is good as a starting line. All three lines have good capstones, are good most of the way up and will teach you a lot of the things you need to learn without teaching bad habits. Generally the older the line is the better for aspiring unicums IMO because they require smart play but are well balanced.

3. WoT is a game of bursting aggression, where you pick your moment and do all the things. WoWS is a much slower burn that requires you to read the map and predict the flow of battle five minutes out. Fortunately the pace of the game means that outside of a few super-tense situations you can keep on top of your minimap and guess what's happening.

On 9/23/2017 at 6:30 PM, Assassin7 said:

The TLDR of tanks balance currently is that if they rolled the game back a year to when you quit it would be a much better balanced game.

Per WOWS: BBs are basically the pushing force of the team. If you play a BB you HAVE to be aggressive, because you have all the health, and all the armour. Dont look at those huge range numbers and think you can just snipe with them. Thats how you lose. 

Also, make sure you stay front on. Dont drive out broadside to enemy ships, thats how you get citadeled. A lot. 

Also, up to tier 5, yeah BBs all have terrible accuracy and dispersion. Stops them just deleting everything that they shoot, but it can be frustrating. You get more accurate the higher up the tiers you go. 

That's one of my pet peeves.  Sniping, cowardly BB drivers.

I am still getting used to not being able to wiggle, sidescrape and hull down. 

Something tells me that "hull down" in a Battleship is NOT an ideal state of being. 

You can't sidescrape off a wall but you must definitely keep your hull angled towards the primary threat.

I'll quote Notser: "Broadside to a battleship? That's a paddlin'!" *

*You're going to get smacked.

Use islands as shields to protect the side of your ship from enemies in your flank.

I would not recommend the American lines to anyone starting out as they are very unforgiving if you don't position yourself well.  I would recommend German battleships and Japanese cruisers to start out in.

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I am still getting used to not being able to wiggle, sidescrape and hull down. 

Something tells me that "hull down" in a Battleship is NOT an ideal state of being. 

Some people try it though.  They like parking behind islands and shooting over them.  Drives me nuts.

Just ran into an entire platoon of teamkillers at tier 6 - shouldn't have shot back but I was literally taken from 100-0 by them. 

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Just ran into an entire platoon of teamkillers at tier 6 - shouldn't have shot back but I was literally taken from 100-0 by them. 

Best not to feed them, instead send the replay into WG customer service, their actually way more serious about TKing than WoT ever was

10 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

Best not to feed them, instead send the replay into WG customer service, their actually way more serious about TKing than WoT ever was

Does the client do replays now?

15 hours ago, Manic_Wombat said:

I would not recommend the American lines to anyone starting out as they are very unforgiving if you don't position yourself well.  I would recommend German battleships and Japanese cruisers to start out in.

I don't agree, unless you're referring to US cruisers 'cause they aren't mistake tolerant at all. But I think US DDs and US BBs teach you the essentials and are good all rounders as opposed to niche ships.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:25 PM, BiggieD61 said:

Hey Max, you are always welcome to hop into our Discord for the RUST clan, we all keep tier 4/5 "stress relief" ships and I have several tier 2 and 3 as well from rewards.  We are more of a "dad clan" but we are full of Wotlabs guys like Map381, How Terrible, Yoyoya2, MntRunner and Ye Olde Derps,  but we have a lot of fun and we tend to pull down good win rates in 3 man divisions.  Anyone from Wotlabs is welcome to come and Div with us, if you're interested I will pm you a Discord link.

Biggie gets me to slum with him at tier4/5 when he needs to blow some steam off, even if I didn't make his list. lol

1 hour ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Does the client do replays now?

It did since the CBT went live, though you have to enable the functionality manually within the game files or via a mod. Officially this ain't supported, but the replay system is not any more or less functional than WoT's in my experience.

I just made it to the Fuso yesterday - need to figure out how to get close enough to citadel stuff but in spots where I don't get ganked. Have had Destroyers literally suicide to kill me.

2 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I just made it to the Fuso yesterday - need to figure out how to get close enough to citadel stuff but in spots where I don't get ganked. Have had Destroyers literally suicide to kill me.

the Fuso's sweet spot is right around 14km to engage cruisers and BBs. Ideally you'll want to avoid letting DDs get close, but when they do you want to time your shot for as they're turning to drop torpedoes, so roughly at a 45 degree angle. That gives you a decent chance of landing normal penetrations for big damage. If you wait until they're fully broadside then you're liable to just get a ton of overpens.

6 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

the Fuso's sweet spot is right around 14km to engage cruisers and BBs. Ideally you'll want to avoid letting DDs get close, but when they do you want to time your shot for as they're turning to drop torpedoes, so roughly at a 45 degree angle. That gives you a decent chance of landing normal penetrations for big damage. If you wait until they're fully broadside then you're liable to just get a ton of overpens.

Thanks - I will try and fight closer to that range when possible. I guess when I am closer in I ricochet off the deck and just don't have the penetration to get through the belt of higher-tier BBs. 

17 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Thanks - I will try and fight closer to that range when possible. I guess when I am closer in I ricochet off the deck and just don't have the penetration to get through the belt of higher-tier BBs. 

If you're fighting higher tier BBs and aren't able to penetrate you can always aim a little higher and hit the superstructure. You won't get citadels but your damage will be consistent at least.

8 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

As Rodrigo said, don't get close in the Fuso. Also, don't show broadside or you'll find yourself in an upskirt collection in somebody's citadel folder (don't broadside while lit up, you die from citadel). If you can't penetrate belt armor, aim a little above it, the closer you get to the deck, the weaker most BB's armor is (most BBs have a thinner region of armor above the belt that's still on the side). Also, know your armor thicknesses and overmatch rules. If someone goes bow-in towards you (trying to be clever, usually BBs) memorize the thickness of the armor at the bow vs your gun caliber, you may be able to overmatch straight through their bow. Also, overmatch rules differ in this game from WoT, it's 14.3x instead of 3x. So, compare the armor thickness x14.3 to gun caliber. I think you know the rest.

1 hour ago, Rodrigopine said:

If you're fighting higher tier BBs and aren't able to penetrate you can always aim a little higher and hit the superstructure. You won't get citadels but your damage will be consistent at least.

Can also go for barbettes. I've shit on all kinds of higher tier BBs who thought they were safe by shooting that. It's often a guaranteed source of damage because it won't be thick enough to stop BB guns in close, even if the pen for your BB's main guns are otherwise poor, and because barbettes are round no amount of angling can really keep there from being a relatively flat surface to you. The panic some BBs clearly show (turning off and giving you broadside, missing shots, etc) when you begin to deal consistent damage to them that way is just delicious.

On 9/27/2017 at 2:35 AM, MaxL_1023 said:

I thought barbettes were usually thicker than the belt, but I'll give it a try. 

They are, but they're flatter so your shells won't have trouble penetrating them at sub 10km ranges. Battleship AP can more or less bore through anything at close range (unless it's something wonky like British AP). You can citadel a Yamato with 8" guns if you're close enough.

When dealing with DDs don't bother switching to HE. Shoot them through the nose. BB AP is currently super OP against DDs as long as they aren't dead broadside to you.

About the only benefit to using HE against a DD is fucking all his modules up when you hit.  And if jhe's turning and you only have a broadside on him, you won't do 1k damage because all your shells go straight thru him.