Folterknecht

Intel Coffeelake - 6 cores for the mainstream, finally (thx AMD)

53 posts in this topic

Release date - october 5th 2017

c5kpw.jpg

Assuming no fundamentional changes to the underlying architecture from Kabylake, especially the 8700K will be the new to CPU to get for gamers/streamers. Early reports indicate 4.8 GHz on all cores with overclocking should be doable with good aircooling, 5GHz will require delidding  (sadly).

The only downside is the mess Intel created with their chipset (Z370) that will be needed to run these CPUs, which is a stopgap measure with beefed up power delivery for OCing the unlocked parts. In the first half of 2018 Intel will release a new chipset/boards (Z390 ???). These CPUs will not run on Z170/270 motherboards and Skylake/Kabylake CPUs won't run on Z370/390 boards, the later being a Intel firmware restrictian.

23th oct

Motherboard Overview (~50 models) by Anandtech

-----------------------------------------------------------

Intel Core i7-2600K, i7-4770K, i7-6700K Vs. i7-8700K

Muh 7700k will serve me for a few years, until then I'll have to upgrade most of my shit anyways. Good to see the pricing on the 8700k being affordable to the mass ez.

Thanks Ryzen!

Still chose you over Coffee Lake for the simple fact I know that your next three generations will all be AM4 sockets and will not require yet another MoBo upgrade

47 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Still chose you over Coffee Lake for the simple fact I know that your next three generations will all be AM4 sockets and will not require yet another MoBo upgrade

Assuming AMD can shift the limits of its fabrication process when it comes to clockspeeds, B350 and low end X370 owners might be in for a disappointment in the future. The power delivery on these boards is relative weak for the most part. So if you plan on a long term investment, I 'd go with something like the Asus Prime X370-Pro as a minimum (~160$ I think) or better (Asrock Taichi ~200$) - if you are into overclocking

7 minutes ago, MAJEST1C said:

Who buys i3?

Look again - with Coffeelake i3 = 4/4 c/t not 2c/4t anymore. It 's essentially an (old) i5.

i3 8350K might actually be a good choice for budget gaming build - games rarely utilize even 4 cores, and high clockspeeds with overclocking potential should be good. With budget build you are not going to aim for 1440p or 4k at 120+ fps anyway, so this CPU should not bottleneck. Depends on MB prices too though.

3 hours ago, Marty said:

i3 8350K might actually be a good choice for budget gaming build - games rarely utilize even 4 cores, and high clockspeeds with overclocking potential should be good. With budget build you are not going to aim for 1440p or 4k at 120+ fps anyway, so this CPU should not bottleneck. Depends on MB prices too though.

go i7 or go home.

:gachi:

7 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Thanks Ryzen!

Everyone keeps thanking AMD and Ryzen for this when Intel said in July or August of 2016 that their sales and enthusiasm for their 6 through 10 core enthusiast socket 2011-v3 CPUs was much higher than expected, so they plan to release CPUs with more cores at a lower price in the near future.

48 minutes ago, Bavor said:

Everyone keeps thanking AMD and Ryzen for this when Intel said in July or August of 2016 that their sales and enthusiasm for their 6 through 10 core enthusiast socket 2011-v3 CPUs was much higher than expected, so they plan to release CPUs with more cores at a lower price in the near future.

Z390 will come out Q1/2 2018 - I would bet money, that was the early time frame for 6 core parts on Intels side on the mainstream. Z370 doesn't make any sense otherwise as far as I can see it. The R5 6 cores and R7 8 cores are really eating into Intels market share in that segment big time. Ofc problems with the 10nm process could also contribute to that whole mess on Intels side, though there is no reliable information to be had.

1 hour ago, Folterknecht said:

The R5 6 cores and R7 8 cores are really eating into Intels market share in that segment big time.

Are they really eating into Intel's market share?  When I look at the Steam Hardware Survey AMD's market share is still decreasing and Intel's market share is still increasing and its been that way every update since the release of Ryzen.  Some of the largest computer hardware distributors in the US are saying that their sales of Intel CPUs are still increasing over AMD.  Most of the major PC manufacturers have been very slow to adopt Ryzen CPUs in their systems.  When I looked at the web pages of the big electronics retailers in my area, between 9% and 11% of the desktop PCs they sell have Ryzen CPUs.

The only time I've heard of AMD's sales increasing was the article about one hardware retailer in Germany.

Similar to how WOTLabs used to generate its averages, Ive seen reports where Cinebench/Passmark score uploads have increased from something like 2-3% of the uploads to upwards of 25%.

1 hour ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Similar to how WOTLabs used to generate its averages, Ive seen reports where Cinebench/Passmark score uploads have increased from something like 2-3% of the uploads to upwards of 25%.

How many of them are FX and A series CPU owners that finally had an upgrade to another AMD chip available?

I'm going coffeelake over ryzen 7 when I save enough to get a new build (hopefullt by Black Friday) simply because most applications I will be using won't be multi-core intensive barring streaming x264. I doubt games will be even using 6 cores in the near future anyways. By the time they do, an upgrade will be necessary anyways. Plus, for what I'm going to be doing I'll be seeing more use out of the extra clock speeds whereas ryzen seems to be hard-capped at the 4.3-4.5ghz range. Delidding is also pretty fool-proof to do nowadays as well.

I'm still on an I5 2500k. Should i go AMD or the latest Intel ? 

You wont go wrong with either. Depends what you want to min-max

Fulcrous does more pure gaming/streaming, so Coffee Lake makes the most sense for his build

I do more editing/recording, so Ryzen made more sense for me. 

I also got my Ryzen 7 1700x for $250, because the guy thought it was defective/running too warm (45c idle). He didnt know about the temperature off-set built into Ryzen which causes your temps to be read 20c higher than normal "to keep a consistent CPU fan curve"

59 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Which doesn't actually apply to the 1700.

saved me $100 because they didn't know this :epicsaxguy:

2 hours ago, dualmaster333 said:

Will this CPU make me better at tanks?????

The only important and relevant question.

4 hours ago, dualmaster333 said:

Will this CPU make me better at tanks?????

No, but maybe you'll be better at streaming? :gachi: