Folterknecht

Intel Coffeelake - 6 cores for the mainstream, finally (thx AMD)

56 posts in this topic

From Techpowerup 's conclusion:

"... Averaged over our CPU benchmarks, which look at both single-threaded and multi-threaded performance, the Core i7-8700K can gain 15% over the previous generation flagship, the i7-7700K. This increase is one of the biggest in the Intel desktop space that we've seen in a long time. Applications that are properly multi-threaded, like rendering, see even larger gains; up by nearly 50%. Despite having the same architecture, single-threaded tests run faster, too, due to a higher single-core boost frequency of 4.7 GHz, which is 200 MHz more than the 4.5 GHz the 7700K reached in that scenario.

With those numbers, AMD's Ryzen offerings are left behind in the dust; their biggest hurdles are single-threaded performance and clock frequencies, which just can't compete with Intel's. In some tests, AMD still has the upper hand thanks to its higher core-counts, but even in those tests, the differences are slim enough to make you wonder if it's worth trading a small multi-threaded win for a large single-threaded loss.

Another interesting effect is that the Core i7-8700K obsoletes most of Intel's lower-end HEDT lineup, at least everything below the 7820X. When you look at mixed workloads, the high clocks of Coffee Lake deliver performance that is neck to neck with the 7820X despite it having eight physical cores; single-threaded loads are almost always won by the 8700K, which leaves only highly parallel workstation tasks and rare cases where you need a ton of storage or IO connectivity (multi-GPU gaming is not one of them with SLI and CF losing more and more support) for the HEDT processors.

..."

Any point in going for 1800X over the 1700X for mainly gaming and some CAD?

Edit: And I posted in the wrong thread...

On 10/17/2017 at 4:06 AM, CandyVanMan said:

You could get a 1700, OC to 3.8 and have similar performance to a stock 1800x

On 17.10.2017 at 10:06 AM, CandyVanMan said:

both are wasted money. get a 1700 and OC to 3.8+ GHz - they all seem to do that. Invest the saved $ in 3200/3600 MHz RAm and a decent mobo instead (X370).

4 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

You could get a 1700, OC to 3.8 and have similar performance to a stock 1800x

This point is so stupid everytime someone tries to make it. Did you know that you can ALSO overclock that 1800X? Surprise! It is faster than your 1700, AGAIN.

1 hour ago, Folterknecht said:

both are wasted money. get a 1700 and OC to 3.8+ GHz - they all seem to do that. Invest the saved $ in 3200/3600 MHz RAm and a decent mobo instead (X370).

Yes, both are wasted money, get the 8700K cause it costs the same as 1700X but is faster at everything and 1800X is just overpriced as fuck right now.

Just now, Stige said:

Oh look, the guy who doesn't realize only thing AMD is better at is rendering? Barely...

Oops!

Have you considered that maybe the x370 + 1700 is miles cheaper than getting an equivalent z370 board and 8700k?

You are fanboying intel way too hard. The cpu gap that used to exist is practically non-existent.

5 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

@Stige + @Fulcrous

First and last warning - you two stop that or you 'll take a vacation.

It wouldn't be a problem, if the cpus were looked at objectively. In any case, since it's you and just add him to ignore.

3 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

I won't tolerate stupid fanboy bickering, there is enough of that in other forums you can choose from

Just facts on my end, nothing to do with fanbois here atleast. I have used everything in the past and continue to do so, whatever offers the most value for money at any given time I upgrade. And if one was to upgrade right now, the 1700X and 1800X make very little sense when 8700K exists.

4 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

It wouldn't be a problem, if the cpus were looked at objectively. In any case, since it's you and just add him to ignore.

The facts state that only thing a 1800X is faster than 8700K at is rendering, which I have said before, how is that "not objective"? You can go look throught the multiple reviews online yourself even, it's not like they are a secret or anything.
And even that difference is like few % at most.

1700X+Cheapest mobo seems to be 30€ cheaper than 8700K+cheapest mobo, I would think the 8700K is definitely worht that extra 30€.

7 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

I won't tolerate stupid fanboy bickering, there is enough of that in other forums you can choose from

I think you are misinterpreting something here. I'm not the one fanboying. Mind you, I recently chose to stick with intel over ryzen due to my specific needs. If anything, I am more of a "fan" of intel.

To argue that the competitor is trash based on a purely gaming perspective is wrong - especially when someone is also looking to work on CAD.

In any case, you won't even need to worry anymore unless he starts making an alt so that I can see his posts.

Fulcrous is hardly a fanboy. Can testify he's mostly an intel shrill :kappa:

...Surprise I can OC an unlocked 1800X? Surprise, I can get a low end 370 mobo for $140, and a 1700 for $300. Or, spend another $130 for a similar performing 1800X. Or even better, spend $120USD on Ebay for a quality i5 4690k, $60 for a Z97 mobo and another $60 for some DDR3, and have a great gaming machine for 1080p

And lets be honest, if you're getting a 1800X for 1080p gaming: You're a fool. 

We've all said time and time and time and time and time again: Intel is king of clock speeds and owns 1080p gaming, wins in 1440p in many cases (Ryzen has better minimums in many instances), matters not at ALL in 4k gaming except Ryzen has better minimums because 4k Res is so GPU dependent. Ryzen is competitive in gaming, and wins in multi-tasking over all but the newest Intel CPUs but even then is a strong contender depending upon how its to be used. 

i7 8700k Pricing: Unavailable, retail listed as ~$350 per Intel, but some sites list as high at $500
R7 1800x: $435 on Amazon
R7 1700X: $348 on Amazon
R7 1700: $300 on Amazon

32 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

i7 8700k Pricing: Unavailable, retail listed as ~$350 per Intel, but some sites list as high at $500

~400eur here in Croatia (preorder) ~480usd. 

I don't think murica will break 450usd mark, there is no reason if we can get it cheap. 

Now I'm tempted to upgrade, just for fashion reasons :D 

1 hour ago, BlackAdder said:

~400eur here in Croatia (preorder) ~480usd. 

I don't think murica will break 450usd mark, there is no reason if we can get it cheap. 

Now I'm tempted to upgrade, just for fashion reasons :D 

Oh yeah, the Coffee Lake i7 chips, both the locked and unlocked, look great. The 8700 with a better than stock cooler would suit the vast majority of users and what they do if they needed the extra cores. 

2 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

We've all said time and time and time and time and time again: Intel is king of clock speeds and owns 1080p gaming, wins in 1440p in many cases (Ryzen has better minimums in many instances), matters not at ALL in 4k gaming except Ryzen has better minimums because 4k Res is so GPU dependent. Ryzen is competitive in gaming, and wins in multi-tasking over all but the newest Intel CPUs but even then is a strong contender depending upon how its to be used.

Where are these tests that show that Ryzen has better 1% frames than 8700K does? That seems very unlikely to me.

Only reason Ryzen seems "better" at higher res is like you said, they are GPU limited at 4K so every CPU has nearly identical performance at 4K. At 1440p or lower the CPU does make a difference.
I have had my 1440p display for almost 4 years now, bought my QNIX on November 2013.

4 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

At this point I dont think you know what you're even discussing

Well this is as simple as I can put it anymore: Intel > AMD.
The ">" means Intel is better than AMD.

Unless only thing you do is rendering and nothing else.

14 hours ago, Stige said:

Well this is as simple as I can put it anymore: Intel > AMD.
The ">" means Intel is better than AMD.

Unless only thing you do is rendering and nothing else.

But Intel can go choke on a bag of dicks for cheating benchmarks, false advertising and manupulation of the market.

5 hours ago, CandyVanMan said:

But Intel can go choke on a bag of dicks for cheating benchmarks, false advertising and manupulation of the market.

Well that is one thing AMD succeeded at if nothing else, making Intel bring out something new for a change :)
Instead of bringing the same old with extra 100MHz per generation.