OnboardG1

WG adds terrible clan mode, more at 8

64 posts in this topic

They've been way too generous in the past. One has to work really hard to run out of money, flags or camos. I wouldn't be surprised, if their marketing departement put a thumb down on that.

8 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

They've been way too generous in the past. One has to work really hard to run out of money, flags or camos. I wouldn't be surprised, if their marketing departement put a thumb down on that.

There's definitely a lot of territory in between between the past generosity and the current stinginess. Clan battles should be doing everything possible to attract the interest of top players and the only way to do that is to offer rewards that are commensurate with the effort involved. In fact, if they want to maximize participation then there should be some rewards for low tier clans to keep them hitting the 'Battle' button because if queue times are too long this mode is going to go the way of team battles, fast.

8 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

As someone who dropped around $250-300 on those Christmas containers, they were too generous there. I got around $700 worth of goods for about 2/5 of that cost. Now they're making up for it (and then some).

After looking at the maps: do DDs even have a place in this mode with this rulesset plus the upcoming smoke changes?

5 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

After looking at the maps: do DDs even have a place in this mode with this rulesset plus the upcoming smoke changes?

Probably some narrow focus on spotting and dropping torpedoes into smoke. It'll be risky because there will probably be 2-3 radar ships per team that could potentially catch you out.

2 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Fuck radar.

Fuck smoke camping.

36 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Fuck smoke camping.

Fuck Ships?

Wait, that's Kan-Colle, right?

The problem I am having here is that with 4-5 Cruisers per team DDs become so low value. 2 Des Moines and 2 Hindenburgs provide plenty of Radar AND Hydro. So not only do you get spotted at likely inopportune moments should you try anything funny, your torps are also of low value because with german hydro even a Yamato can evade your torps with ease.

The smoke changes are bad for active DDs as well. Whenever you get spotted after firing in smoke, you know there is a enemy DD near - now just pop Radar and kill/cripple him...

By removing the CVs from CWs, WarGaming bottlenecked the entire meta so hard, that basically only three or four ships remain viable. DDs have barely a place outside of providing smoke in that meta and even that is a questionable option, between radar and smoke-changes.

58 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

By removing the CVs from CWs, WarGaming bottlenecked the entire meta so hard, that basically only three or four ships remain viable. DDs have barely a place outside of providing smoke in that meta and even that is a questionable option, between radar and smoke-changes.

This is why their argument that "it increases ship diversity"has shades of glue inhalation about it. By removing a major role you're now left with maybe six viable ships: Montana, Conqueror, Hindenburg, Moskva, Gearing, Z52. The rest are just not worth bringing. Zao and Henri don't do enough for the team. DM isn't as strong as the Moskva in the role. The rest of the DDs are pretty terrible. Yamato and GK are too fat, slow and detectable. Half the fucking tier is rendered obsolete because you're removing their main purpose in the fleet.

This CW plan was proposed at a russian convention and they are almost run out of the building. I don't think anyone but the DEV's like it.

What really puzzles me is why they think it's a good idea. Effectively excluding an entire branch of players (and, by proxy, large parts of the entire community) is bad enough, but them fiddling about with carrier-matchmaking and general AA-power had far reaching consequences that persist to this day and they still have to compensate for the results of the lack of carriers in the games and the knock-on effects of said lack. Lack of US cruisers in the queues, "torpedo-soups", pretty much all DD-nerfs, the removal of stealth-fire in general, smoke-meta, campy gameplay (in part due to smoke-meta and torpedo-soups), smoke-nerf. All this, at least partially, is down to their inability to deal with carriers in any meaningful way. And now, this. Just, why?

22 hours ago, Errants said:

Fuck Ships?

Wait, that's Kan-Colle, right?

Close enough

@OnboardG1 what Captain skills would you use on the Moskava? I don't have it but I'm the Don and it won't take long to unlock it. 

I was thinking about if WG added shallow areas to maps which were impassable to anything except DDs - could it make them more useful if they could maneuver, attack and spot from angles and locations which cruisers are excluded from?

24 minutes ago, Manic_Wombat said:

Are the maps big enough to make that worthwhile?

They should be (lol). I have found a few to be too small, in the sense that you can shoot spawn to spawn with most Battleships and be lit within 30 seconds.  

10 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I was thinking about if WG added shallow areas to maps which were impassable to anything except DDs - could it make them more useful if they could maneuver, attack and spot from angles and locations which cruisers are excluded from?

This was a thing back in the day. They removed them because battleship players were too fucking stupid to avoid them.

As for the Moskva, assuming you wish to partake in this mode:

Target Priority, Expert Loader, Module HP (can't remember the name), Jack of all Trades, Superintendent, RPF, Stealth, Vigilance.

You can also swap Expert Loader and Module HP for Adrenaline rush if you want.

I hope this setup tells you precisely how effective "flanking" tactics will be in this game mode.

21 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Half the fucking tier is rendered obsolete

It's like back in the days in WoT when Clanwars ment exactly IS-7 and T-50-2 and nothing else.

5 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

This was a thing back in the day. They removed them because battleship players were too fucking stupid to avoid them.

Target Priority, Expert Loader, Module HP (can't remember the name), Jack of all Trades, Superintendent, RPF, Stealth, Vigilance.

I hope this setup tells you precisely how effective "flanking" tactics will be in this game mode.

So what is exactly problem why it does not work? I would thing its not possible to send two ships to chase flanking dd with rdf's because then your main group is 5vs6 against enemy main group? Flanking dd prolly cannot hit anything with its torps but it can still force your main group to turn sideways possibly making them take more damage from enemy main group or risk eating torps? Like forcing bow tanking Moskvas to turn or eat torp.

Were radar changes dropped? 11km+ radars seems to be making dd life really hard even without CV.

Though I guess depends what one means by flanking, is it being 10km away from main group or 30km away...

Is there youtube videos of 7vs7 games without carrier?

2 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

It's like back in the days in WoT when Clanwars ment exactly IS-7 and T-50-2 and nothing else.

Hey, sometimes a maus was brought to block a bridge or something! 

6 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Thanks, this helps. All I really know about the Moskova is that it needs some different skills than the proceeding ships. I liked the Chapy enough to keep it, and my captain skills were suited for that ship so I kept him in it. I think I've got a 13 point captain in the Don so there is still some time to make adjustments for the Moskova.

51 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Hey, sometimes a maus was brought to block a bridge or something! 

Reminds me of the time before you could not move dead tanks where RELIC blocked all access points to the cap on Himmelsdorf , and hid an AMX 1390 in that little doorway into the building. Good times.

That must be old, I hear Loz saying that the 13-90 is a tier 7.  I heard someone that sounded like How terrible and ye Old Derps as well .....

Also, dont forget that you will have to respec captains/ships for clam wars since no CV's means a completely different build. Thats gonna cost quite a bit of gold

On 9/29/2017 at 2:04 AM, OnboardG1 said:

I remembers those, it was fun watching them try oh so hard... never knew why they removed them, seems like WG has been catering to the glue eater for awhile

On 9/29/2017 at 2:04 AM, OnboardG1 said:

i have seen quite a few videos/comments on how removing CV's will "help" DD's flank... they clearly never played ranked, let alone comp. Seriously, last ranked seasons past ranked 5, every game had one RPF ship, makes flanking a complete waste of time, such a shit skill to have added to the game, makes any sort of risky play impossible.