Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Va1heru

New phone advice

30 posts in this topic

Tl;Dr, broke my phone, need new one, iPhone x/8 vs galaxy note 8/s8/s8+ vs wait for Googles new phone vs I don't know any other good flagship smart phones. 

Broke my galaxy s7 last night. It's on its second screen and has been struggling a bit lately, smashing the screen completely has nudged me into the market again. Problem is, I don't know shit about phones anymore. 

I've never owned an iPhone but I don't hate them. Just never could buy a non android. Not sure if it's worth getting the new note or s8+ over a standard s8. Also not sure if it's worth waiting for Google to announce their new phones in a few days (4th of October I believe.) 

So what do I buy friends. 

currently i use galaxy S6 and i gonna wait galaxy S10 or whatever. 

im till like galaxy with NFC fitur they can check balance card via apps just tap on the back phone. but sadly iphone doesnt have one. those S8 cool fitur like no home button and only touch screen.

i dont use iphone (reason i fear like phobia electrocute when charging phone and side iphone feel like metal sometimes fake or real. but depend those made in china using concept from california.)

Have you considered getting something like a Xiaomi Mi, Mi Max or Mi Mix?

They're great bang for buck and if you don't like MIUI you can usually install a new OS

EDIT: If you're not keen on Xiaomi then why not try something from OnePlus. For the love of god, don't buy Samsung or a Pixel. They're over-priced, although at least the Pixel comes with stockish Android.

1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

Have you considered getting something like a Xiaomi Mi, Mi Max or Mi Mix?

They're great bang for buck and if you don't like MIUI you can usually install a new OS

EDIT: If you're not keen on Xiaomi then why not try something from OnePlus. For the love of god, don't buy Samsung or a Pixel. They're over-priced, although at least the Pixel comes with stockish Android.

This is why i made the thread. When it comes to phones I am almost as bad as my dad (buys the new iPhone every year,) but with Samsung instead. Ill go looking for some of those, I imagine I need to hunt for those been Australian :notlikethis:

Your flagship options for Android are pretty much the S8/S8+/Note 8, LG V30, Sony Xperia XZ1/XZ1 Compact/XZ Premium, HTC U11, or wait until the new Google Pixels. All of them are pretty pricey right now. You can probably watch some quick Youtube reviews to gauge what you want to be honest. If you can play around with them in a store, even better. I'd find something to hold out on until the Pixels are announced and then make your decision. 

2 minutes ago, _Dia said:

Your flagship options for Android are pretty much the S8/S8+/Note 8, LG V30, Sony Xperia XZ1/XZ1 Compact/XZ Premium, HTC U11, or wait until the new Google Pixels. All of them are pretty pricey right now. You can probably watch some quick Youtube reviews to gauge what you want to be honest. If you can play around with them in a store, even better. I'd find something to hold out on until the Pixels are announced and then make your decision. 

All the stores around me are pretty lackluster in options. Iphones, galaxy whatever and maybe a HTC and xperia. There's not much in the way of options. Probably gonna have to gon through kogan or something

Android flagships are mostly garbage though. Over-priced rubbish with horrific UI abominations. 

I'd avoid the LG V30, it has a terrible OLED screen. I haven't heard anything very good about Xperias either. HTC has been sinking for some time but iirc their last release got some positive press. Samsung phones tend to be good in terms of hardware but the awful UI and bloatware more than makes up for that advantage.

Google Pixels are probably the least offensive flagships but also happen to be the most over-priced given Google is trying to chase Apple's tail.

If I were going for a flagship I would aim for a OnePlus rather.

Jump on X bandwagon. Unless you constantly work with remote control on space station or uploading configurations on nuclear reactor, then go for all might Android™ 

I'm in a similar predicament but have been rather disappointed with the move away from replaceable batteries from most manufacturers. Given batteries last a couple years if you're lucky it basically forces a quicker upgrade cycle than i'd like. Not sure if any of the new flags are still going with replaceables, but considering going for mid range / cheaper options instead. @OOPMan have you much experience with xiaomis? Curious as the mi 6 looks tempting.

3 hours ago, Ezz said:

I'm in a similar predicament but have been rather disappointed with the move away from replaceable batteries from most manufacturers. Given batteries last a couple years if you're lucky it basically forces a quicker upgrade cycle than i'd like. Not sure if any of the new flags are still going with replaceables, but considering going for mid range / cheaper options instead. @OOPMan have you much experience with xiaomis? Curious as the mi 6 looks tempting.

the most powerful yet inexpensive smartphone i'd buy that has replaceable batteries and mirco sd is the V20

in addition to being inexpensive, you can triple the battery life with one of these lemon batteries for the V20, raising your mAh to 10K https://www.amazon.com/Battery-ZeroLemon-10000mAh-Extended-Protection/dp/B01MQFT3SP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506991174&sr=8-1&keywords=zero+lemon+battery+for+lg+v20

i think v20 and the V10 are the best price to performance smartphones on the market (and the v10 has a simliar upgrade option, to 9K mAh lemon battery) ; i've had my v10 for almost 2 years now, i'd probably buy it again or the v20 if i were to upgrade

also on upgrade-ability; 256gb mirco sds aren't too expensive and they'll hold WAY more than any iphone without paying extra $100 to $200 just for a 32gb upgrade; if you really want the most out of your phone without replacement, these 256gb mirco sds are the way to go; in fact i even got one for $20 the other day

overall i believe the v10 and v20 deliver on price, power, and performance while having excellent upgrade options should you desire it and i'd recommend it to anyone unsure about what phone they should get

nSP3ixs.png

I recommend going with a OnePlus, you get a phone with high end specs for a lot less $$$. OP5 has just come out AFAIK, you won't be disappointed. 

Due to circumstances beyond my control I've moved to Huawei.  P9 and P10 have been good to me.  Solid Android, good power, good battery life, superb Leica lenses.

Pleasantly surprised and usually cheaper than the shinier brands.  P11 probably due around the start of 2018 though so P10 hitting end of life.

Looks like Im going with a OnePlus 5, only issue is its gonna take a week or two to get here :notlikethis: 

Gonna be on a brick phone for a while.

Yup you can't go wrong with oneplus, I have the 2 and it's just great, the only bad thing is the lack of nfc which doesn't really  bother me as I've never gotten used to using it

21 minutes ago, Va1heru said:

Looks like Im going with a OnePlus 5, only issue is its gonna take a week or two to get here :notlikethis: 

Gonna be on a brick phone for a while.

i really wouldn't recommend the one plus 5; if you read my previous post, i explained the benefits of the V20 and V10 over the competition

if the battery on that thing dies for whatever reason, you're out of a whole phone AND you can't upgrade memory at all, thats a loss in my book

I got a motorolla G5, 250 aud on kogan with free delivery.

Decent size screen, doesn't crash, fingerprint button, basically a galaxy with a shit camera- its really good

3 minutes ago, lordawesome7 said:

i really wouldn't recommend the one plus 5; if you read my previous post, i explained the benefits of the V20 and V10 over the competition

if the battery on that thing dies for whatever reason, you're out of a whole phone AND you can't upgrade memory at all, thats a loss in my book

But other than the battery all the other phones do everything better

The battery concern was mostly mine - val may be cool with a quicker upgrade cycle so have less of an issue.

4 minutes ago, yoyoya2 said:

But other than the battery all the other phones do everything better

by what 5%

in a blind test i bet you wouldn't even notice the marginal power difference between the oneplus 5 and the v20

also you ignore the HUGE HUGE storage difference i mentioned earlier (256 + 64 > 64 )

really these phones do so much for so little cost its painful not to see them at the top, the oneplus 5 isn't anything special other than your typical 2% increase of power while halting your long term options to by the next +2% power increase phone when you can have one phone that'll easily last over half a decade if not longer

9 minutes ago, Ezz said:

The battery concern was mostly mine - val may be cool with a quicker upgrade cycle so have less of an issue.

but the thing is i've had the v10 for almost 2 years and its given me no problem, and before that the G3, another excellent phone, only reason i upgraded was cause i switched carriers

these phones have a lot of power and give no issues with the latest android OS (which is really all you need to be "up to date" ); their really isn't a strong reason not to buy these phones unless you love burning money annually (or whenever you upgrade)

Also recommending the OP5, what's really noteable is that the phone takes way less time to charge from dead to full than any other phone I've had while the battery time feels normal (once ever day/2 days depending on usage)

10 hours ago, Ezz said:

The Mi 6 is probably pretty awesome. GSMArena seems to agree: http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_6-review-1615.php 

I've owned a Redmi Note 2 (Okay) and now I'm running a Mi Max (Awesome). If you want to turn heads then a Mi Mix or Mi Mix 2 is also a nice option. My only proviso would be to make sure you get a phone with at least 3gb of RAM. Android is a hungry hungry hippo and 2gb of RAM is no longer sufficient for a good user experience.

At this point in time, if you're interested in extremely good value for money then it's hard to go wrong with Xiaomi. The only area in which they tend to be a little weak is the camera but for me this is not a deal-breaker. MIUI has also come leaps and strides, it used to be horrific but the last release or two (8 and 9) have been pretty solid. And if you want to run stock Android it's usually pretty simple. Just request a bootloader unlock from Xiaomi and away you go.

How much do you care about the camera? If you do go with what Dxomark reviewed well. Now they rehauled their reviews so not all phones are available but if you agregae old and new it's Iphone X - Pixel - htc u11/samsung 8/7 in that order. 

If you don't care about having the best camera get something chinease. Those are cheaper and have less cluttered UIs. One plus is a good option. 

Was a flagship fan until I was short on dosh and researched for weeks before I opted for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 32GB/3GB Ram with Snapdragon processor and really, a 200€(now less, like 160€) phone literally is as good as a flagship 700€ phone and I couldn't believe my eyes. Battery is awesome, 4150mAh Li-On or something alike(and the phone isnt T H I C C), screen is really nice, good memory upgrade path(can slap in a 256gb sd card AFAIK), the build quality is literal alluminium feels premium af, didnt lag or crash any app since July ish last year. Just the camera is quite bad in low lighting but I don't give a shit about that as people who use phones to do pics only may as well buy a camera. 4Head

TL;DR: It's better to buy phones from brands like OnePlus, Xiaomi or Huawei, you get the same(or a bit less) performance for half the price if not more. My next phone will definitely be one of those 3 brands I've mentioned. As long as Samsung and Apple will price their phones at 1080ti prices they can fuck off. Some people are just stubborn and don't wanna look into other options because they're not familiar with the brand. Those people are idiots.

5 hours ago, Siimcy said:

Was a flagship fan until I was short on dosh and researched for weeks before I opted for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 32GB/3GB Ram with Snapdragon processor and really, a 200€(now less, like 160€) phone literally is as good as a flagship 700€ phone and I couldn't believe my eyes. Battery is awesome, 4150mAh Li-On or something alike(and the phone isnt T H I C C), screen is really nice, good memory upgrade path(can slap in a 256gb sd card AFAIK), the build quality is literal alluminium feels premium af, didnt lag or crash any app since July ish last year. Just the camera is quite bad in low lighting but I don't give a shit about that as people who use phones to do pics only may as well buy a camera. 4Head

TL;DR: It's better to buy phones from brands like OnePlus, Xiaomi or Huawei, you get the same(or a bit less) performance for half the price if not more. My next phone will definitely be one of those 3 brands I've mentioned. As long as Samsung and Apple will price their phones at 1080ti prices they can fuck off. Some people are just stubborn and don't wanna look into other options because they're not familiar with the brand. Those people are idiots.

i agree though i wouldn't rely specifically on a set of brands, its always about price to performance which LG delivers, especially their older phones and newer ones and until the announcement of the v30, all their V phones and up until the G4 have all had removable batteries and mirco sds, though the v30 has the mirco sd option in there, they go down in price while still having the same power, but i'll look into other phones in the future when the time comes, but i highly doubt i'd want to drop out of all the potential storage and power which i have yet to see anyone debunk on such inexpensive platforms

12 hours ago, Kolni said:

Also recommending the OP5, what's really noteable is that the phone takes way less time to charge from dead to full than any other phone I've had while the battery time feels normal (once ever day/2 days depending on usage)

there is this cool thing called quick charge which more and more android phones are getting, though this feature definitely isn't exclusive to the OP5

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0