Sign in to follow this  
Boodler

Long time lurker - what tank to get question

24 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

So after months of lurking I decided to sign up. 

I have always liked the more informative and detailed discussions, topics and reviews that takes place here compared to other sites.

I wonder if you guys can help me out with a few questions that I will break down into 3 groups:

1. Questions on upcoming trade - in event on the EU server
  2. New tank line suggestions
  3. Tank choices in current meta

So basically yet another 'Which tank should I get'. I have read extensively the forum, I guess I would just like an update on things.

If you are still with me, here we go:

1. Questions on upcoming trade - in event on the EU server

These are the tanks I (think) did well in or really enjoy playing:

• Pz III/IV (The tier 5 on the Indien panzer line) - 2 mark
  • VK 3002 M - even though I didn't like the mobility.
  • A-43 - 2 mark
  • KV-2 (Obviously, when it clicks.)
  • M46 Patton
  • Matilda and AT-2 for when I want something relaxing
  • Strv 74

So mostly fast-ish or at least ok mobility tanks with good gun control is how I would sum up with few obvious exceptions.

The premiums I have that I can and consider trading in:

• Matilda IV
  • T25 Pilot
  • T 34-85M (Though probably will keep it.)
  • T28 HTC (Definitely getting rid of it.)
  • Vik (?) English tier 2 or 3 light tank.
  • Swedish tier 1 or 2 

Now the question is what tanks to get.

I'm thinking about:

• Super Pershing - I struggle with the T25 Pilot, bad armor against tier 9 and 10 that I usually see. Super Pershing at least limits game to tier 9 and only 5 of them. Sure, slow and plays differently but it offers something unique in its armor layout. (I read that you have to wiggle, works mostly against those who don't know where to shoot, etc.) But I imagine if it clicks, it works. Problem with T25, it doesn't click for me.
  • M4A1 Rev - Tier 8 but not a boring 240 alpha gun. Con: Crew layout, I have 3 girl crew in tier 9 BatChat, this one would require a rookie crew to train.
  • Lorr. 40 - Could be fun but isn't the playstyle too similar to AMX 50100? I don't do too well in the 50100. Or completely different because Lorr. has camo?

What other tanks I should look at if I mostly want credit and fun from the tank, based on the tanks I do well in?

2. New tank line suggestion

I haven't touched the Japanese, Czech, Chinese lines and in the UK line, the highest tier I reached is 7 (Comet)

I am ready to start a new line as I will have new girl crew from T55 missions, either after update or soon. I am also ready to stop at anywhere after tier 5 if a line is not worth going down on or there are bad tier 7-8 tanks - I read the tier 6 Skoda could be a good stopping tank like that.

Am I missing out on anything fun from those lines, what are some of the noteworthy tanks from these branches?

• Panther 2 - Does it s*ck or it's just me? "Armor enough to slow you down, not enough to work" as somebody wrote it on this site and I fully agree. Gun is nice. In current tier 8 MM, I really struggle with it, can't really find a niche for it. I actually sold it a few weeks ago as I got fed up with it. Is this tank an example of 'nothing spectacular' and as such, sort of 'meh'? Is the E50 a big upgrade on it and makes the grind worth it?
  • T54E1 - I finished the grind, 359 games, crap 1560 DPG and 42% win rate. That's bot level win rate or even worse. I see that 1 clip / game average damage is far from good but that win rate I could never explain. Any of you have such low WR with 200+battles on a tank? 

Formatting looks funny here, I hope it will appear at least semi - decent.

I look forward to your feedbacks and let me know I missed something.

34 minutes ago, Boodler said:

Hi guys,

So after months of lurking I decided to sign up. 

Welcome! I'm not the best resource for your questions, but I'll give my 2 cents where applicable.

I'm thinking about:

• Super Pershing

I love the Super P, but I'm so used to pressing "22" (and still making credits) that I only just realized that the standard ammo got buffed at some point.

2. New tank line suggestion

I haven't touched the Japanese, Czech, Chinese lines and in the UK line, the highest tier I reached is 7 (Comet)

I plan to go up the Chinese heavy branch next. I want both of the tier 10's.

• Panther 2 - Does it s*ck or it's just me? "Armor enough to slow you down, not enough to work" as somebody wrote it on this site and I fully agree. Gun is nice. In current tier 8 MM, I really struggle with it, can't really find a niche for it. I actually sold it a few weeks ago as I got fed up with it. Is this tank an example of 'nothing spectacular' and as such, sort of 'meh'? Is the E50 a big upgrade on it and makes the grind worth it?

Tier 8 mediums are almost universally "meh." The Panther II is no exception. On the other hand, the E 50 is one of my absolute favorite tanks to play. I average more damage in it than a lot of my tier 10's.

• T54E1 - I finished the grind, 359 games, crap 1560 DPG and 42% win rate. That's bot level win rate or even worse. I see that 1 clip / game average damage is far from good but that win rate I could never explain. Any of you have such low WR with 200+battles on a tank? 

That's really low for that many games. It's primarily a damage dealer without a lot of other positives. So, 1 clip / game is just not going to cut it. You can average that much damage by camping base until your team is dead and then clipping the first guy that comes around a corner before dying...

Are you not penning yours shots? Getting off a clip and dying early? You need to stay alive and volley at people on reload without over exposing. Save your HP while keeping your gun in the game because that autoloader is very valuable for clutching late game.

With that said, I played it before the armor power creep, and I recall the pen being on the low side.

Best thing to do is watch youtube videos of whatever tank you're interested in, watch multiple vids. Often you'll see someone post a vid like "look at what the Rev can do, an easy 5K damage per game!" And watching the replay you'll notice he gets a lucky ammo rack, and the entire red team is pretty much made up of bots who don't know how to pen a Rev,

But watch a few, and you'll get a sense of how the tank plays, Personally I vastly prefer the Lorraine (fast flanker) to the Rev, but a lot of people (including players much,much better than I am) feel the Rev is the better tank, it might be in your hands, I can get teh Lorraine to work, couldn't get the Rev.

The Super Pershing is decent- but it's a tank that relies on the gimmick of players not knowing where to shoot it, when I started playing I struggled with how to damage them, now I'm usually happy to see anyone on the other team with them, as they're pretty easy to pen if you know where to shoot. (Powercreep has hurt the SP, it used to be a lo harder to pen)

TLDR, no one is really going to be able to tell you what to sped your money on, they can make suggestions on what to avoid, but the only one who knows what will suit you is you 

7 hours ago, Boodler said:

Hi guys,

Welcome! 

I will try to keep it short. 

Prems: I would suggest you to try them on the next test server. Keep in mind: the only tanks you can buy with trade-ins are the ones available in game for gold. So you can't buy the lorr. Btw it plays a bit differently compared to the 50 100 mostly because of the clip size. Its like the TVP compared to the BC. 

Tank selection: I would suggest you to play tanks with a simple and clear role. 

I think the japanese heavy line is bad idea, because you won't learn from it. The Czech maybe too hard for you at the moment. The chinese heavy line is good, because you can unlock two tier 10s and tier 8+ the line is really good. 

Improvement: You should watch streamers who are better than you, but not significantly. If you watch a pubstar with 5k recent, then you wont learn from it as much as you would learn from someone with 2.5k recent.

GL&HF

Welcome!

I thought you could only trade into equally or down tiered vehicle? Not up. For instance you cannot trade in Matilda and 34-85M for the Löwe. Only prems worth a damn these days are those P2W tanks which arent in the ingame shop. Scorp, M49 Liberte, Defender, Patriot and whats that 'Murican heavy called?

44 minutes ago, SaintLaurentius said:

Only prems worth a damn these days are those P2W tanks which arent in the ingame shop.

I know it is hard to believe if you dont have it, but the Löwe is actually good. I prefer it over the patriot and defender. Also, some say the Ravioli is good too, but I dont have it. 

54 minutes ago, TAdoo87 said:

I know it is hard to believe if you dont have it, but the Löwe is actually good. I prefer it over the patriot and defender. Also, some say the Ravioli is good too, but I dont have it. 

Well I suppose that could be the exception to the rule. Still it seems too slow for the SH combs people run these days. Long past are the days where you could play whatever you wanted in Strongholds.....

33 minutes ago, SaintLaurentius said:

Well I suppose that could be the exception to the rule. Still it seems too slow for the SH combs people run these days. Long past are the days where you could play whatever you wanted in Strongholds.....

I was talking about randoms. My bad that I didnt clarify. For SH it is not so good. 

11 minutes ago, TAdoo87 said:

I was talking about randoms. My bad that I didnt clarify. For SH it is not so good. 

I did get your point but there's no point playing premiums, or tier8 in general atm. Therefore I'm talking about SH as the "normal environment" if you will:)

2 hours ago, SaintLaurentius said:

I thought you could only trade into equally or down tiered vehicle? Not up. For instance you cannot trade in Matilda and 34-85M for the Löwe.

If it's the same as it was on NA back in May, it's the other way around; you can only trade into equal or higher tier (tech-tree) premiums.

Also, @Boodler, the NA event was limited to Tier 6 to 8 tanks. If the EU event follows the same rules your list of available trade-ins shrinks to the T25 Pilot, T 34-85M, and T28 HTC. @TheMarine0341 made a great ranking of the premium tanks, which is mostly up to date with respect to vehicle re-balancing: http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/25934-ranking-the-premium-tanks-tiers-5-through-8/ . I think the only tech-tree prem that he hasn't reconsidered post re-balance is the 9.20 T-54 mod 1.

if you want a fast meta tank, the 5A is currently king with its high speed and hard hitting gun

if you want a medium with high rof/dpm, 140 no question, especially since it got buffed for literally no reason, negating its biggest weakness

as for myself, i just do on tracks since they are WAY less expensive to get tier 10's on and give strong XP bonus on low tiers to burn through em quickly

1 hour ago, lordawesome7 said:

as for myself, i just do on tracks since they are WAY less expensive to get tier 10's on and give strong XP bonus on low tiers to burn through em quickly

On-Tracks best tracks.

19 hours ago, TAdoo87 said:

This.

Traded my HTC for the Löwe and never looked back.

On 2017. 10. 04. at 0:47 AM, monjardin said:

I love the Super P, but I'm so used to pressing "22" (and still making credits) that I only just realized that the standard ammo got buffed at some point.

With premium account, I assume? Please confirm.

I play on standard account but 190 or 192 standard pen is definitely workable against most tanks.

Do you have vert. stab. on the Super pershing? I watched skill4ltu stream the other day and he was running the tank without VS, because it's slow and doesn't build up enough bloom. He had vents in 3rd slot. (Rammer and optics the other 2.)

That's really low for that many games. It's primarily a damage dealer without a lot of other positives. So, 1 clip / game is just not going to cut it. You can average that much damage by camping base until your team is dead and then clipping the first guy that comes around a corner before dying...

Are you not penning yours shots? Getting off a clip and dying early? You need to stay alive and volley at people on reload without over exposing. Save your HP while keeping your gun in the game because that autoloader is very valuable for clutching late game.

With that said, I played it before the armor power creep, and I recall the pen being on the low side.

In the last dozen game I started loading gold as first to make sure whatever tank I run into first, I have a better chance of penning my shots. 218 pen is low at tier 9, for sure and I feel like the tank has no speed to flank, or at least I can't utilise its speed to do that.

On 2017. 10. 04. at 1:27 AM, Canadian_Reaper said:

Best thing to do is watch youtube videos of whatever tank you're interested in, watch multiple vids. Often you'll see someone post a vid like "look at what the Rev can do, an easy 5K damage per game!" And watching the replay you'll notice he gets a lucky ammo rack, and the entire red team is pretty much made up of bots who don't know how to pen a Rev,

So true. I also usually lose interest when a review is in a game where the reviewed tank is +2 top tier. 

17 hours ago, 8at_eNTrOpY said:

If it's the same as it was on NA back in May, it's the other way around; you can only trade into equal or higher tier (tech-tree) premiums.

Also, @Boodler, the NA event was limited to Tier 6 to 8 tanks. If the EU event follows the same rules your list of available trade-ins shrinks to the T25 Pilot, T 34-85M, and T28 HTC. @TheMarine0341 made a great ranking of the premium tanks, which is mostly up to date with respect to vehicle re-balancing: http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/25934-ranking-the-premium-tanks-tiers-5-through-8/ . I think the only tech-tree prem that he hasn't reconsidered post re-balance is the 9.20 T-54 mod 1.

Good point, I forgot the tier limitation. 

I read the review, and thinking about the M10 panther as well. If only it had a little better view range...

12 hours ago, lordawesome7 said:

if you want a fast meta tank, the 5A is currently king with its high speed and hard hitting gun

if you want a medium with high rof/dpm, 140 no question, especially since it got buffed for literally no reason, negating its biggest weakness

The 140 is in reaching distance, I have T54 elited but 5A would be about a year grind for me.

Wait, what? NA on track event gives bonus combat XP?

EU event only gives crew XP (I think 50%) and credit reduction on tanks.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I will find out more about the event in 2 weeks and will see what my options are.

4 hours ago, Boodler said:

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I will find out more about the event in 2 weeks and will see what my options are.

to answer your question about on tracks

it only give combat XP from tier 2 - 7 8 - 10 get crew XP bonus (which is more resourceful than you'd think when you're grinding 300,000 XP give or take

and since you have the 140 researched, you should buy that ASAP, its high dpm, good mobility, and strong turret armor with -6 gun depression make it the most flexible medium in tier X

@Boodler I run a premium account. The standard penetration is probably workable on the SuperP, but you'll want to load plenty of gold (i.e. at least half) because you don't have the mobility to avoid head on situations with heavily armored tanks. 

Those French tanks that you listed are probably better credit earners, but still not the best. I believe that @CarbonWard recently claimed the Defender and Skorpion G as best in the current meta. 

The Strv S1 may be worth considering since I've heard that it has a really high credit boost, and it is available in game for gold (as opposed to the Skorp or Defender). It also plays very differently than any of the tanks you have mentioned. 

Don't get rid of the 34-85M.  Now that tier 8 is shit to play, the M and the Crommy B have become my go to credit grinders.  The M is silly good right now and it makes good earnings plus it trains RU med crews and you always need those.

4 hours ago, lordawesome7 said:

and since you have the 140 researched, you should buy that ASAP, its high dpm, good mobility, and strong turret armor with -6 gun depression make it the most flexible medium in tier X

My bad, I only have every module researched but not the 2 tier Xs.

I will wait, maybe they will buff the T62 by the time I get the xp to unlock.

Only problem, I kinda don't like the T54... I know, I know. It's me, not the tank. I can't work around the limited gun depression. In contrast, I simply love the tier IX Patton.

2 hours ago, monjardin said:

The Strv S1 may be worth considering since I've heard that it has a really high credit boost, and it is available in game for gold (as opposed to the Skorp or Defender). It also plays very differently than any of the tanks you have mentioned. 

Oh, gosh, not another turretless TD. I have the Jpanther 2, strictly for personal missions but it's still just a shade above meh. I had the JTiger but sold it, couldn't deal with the lack of speed. I remember that one time, fiery salient map, south spawn, no arty, I decide to go the hill. Pre - nerf Grille 15 hits my side for 780 or so damage, remains unspotted. 

49 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

Don't get rid of the 34-85M.  Now that tier 8 is shit to play, the M and the Crommy B have become my go to credit grinders.  The M is silly good right now and it makes good earnings plus it trains RU med crews and you always need those.

It is shit, but I feel like the Lowe still does at least ok in tier 10 games.

6 hours ago, Boodler said:

My bad, I only have every module researched but not the 2 tier Xs.

I will wait, maybe they will buff the T62 by the time I get the xp to unlock.

Only problem, I kinda don't like the T54... I know, I know. It's me, not the tank. I can't work around the limited gun depression. In contrast, I simply love the tier IX Patton.

Oh, gosh, not another turretless TD. I have the Jpanther 2, strictly for personal missions but it's still just a shade above meh. I had the JTiger but sold it, couldn't deal with the lack of speed. I remember that one time, fiery salient map, south spawn, no arty, I decide to go the hill. Pre - nerf Grille 15 hits my side for 780 or so damage, remains unspotted. 

It is shit, but I feel like the Lowe still does at least ok in tier 10 games.

i'd recommend learning it

you dont have to be very good in pubs with it as long as you can keep your gun in the fight and prove you can be useful in CW, i doubt they're going to buff the already sturdy t 62A and the extra gun depression is still going to put the 140 on top of the 62A in addition to its better mobility

9 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

It's a great tank.  Plays good in pubs and strongholds

dont play autoloaders right now, they require much more thinking to do well in them than regular tanks. the t54e1 is pretty shitty unless you know how to maintain your hp while still doing dmg

In the end I traded the T28 HTC for Panther M10 and T25 Pilot for Ravioli.

I feel they are both tremendous upgrades.

Thank you guys for all the input.