Star_Dust

Improving as a player on Versatile Tanks.

8 posts in this topic

Good day to whoever might read this thread, I thank you for your time. 

I will try to keep this as concise as possible. 

I used to play tanks while being aloof and not very interested on ratings or how I did things, I was fairly content with 52-53% WR and a WN8 around 1300, when I started hitting the 6K battles I noticed I was having lots of difficulties being relevant on higher tiers, I was usually killed pretty fast while putting one shell on someone or two, sometimes none at all, I got frustrated and decided to start reading. 2.6K battles later I'm at 1462 and still the same 52-53% WR, I don't see myself improving much. 

I did a bunch of experimenting to figure out what tanks I was comfortable playing, what I liked, what I didn't, I figured out eventually that I really liked having versatile tanks, speedy if possible with good DPM, likewise, I started noticing hard hitters damage per shot weren't really my thing as many times it was less forgiving, specially when your team was losing. I stopped playing TD's overall because, aside the T67 (which I also stopped playing despite loving it to prevent any stat padding conformism) I seriously dislike having huge platforms with tons of weakspots and dummy armor (Dummy armor is like, Tiger P, Ferdinand, Churchill series, and to some extent a few KVs) sooo I started focusing more on Heavy's with some speed (like AMX M4 45, AMX 50 100 and even to some degree the Tiger I ) after a while I also felt i wasn't progressing so I went for the russian Mediums. I loved T43 despite it's shortcomings with the non improved gun, I also liked a lot T34-85 and T44, but I also hit a stalemate. 

I also have a Defender, I mostly use it by credits since I have a mediocre 1.6K DPG on it, I like heavies with some armor that doesn't feel like ridiculous bricks (like the Japs or Mauschen line) I have been wondering about the E75 for a while...

My main problem is I can't seem to properly work Tier 8s when bottom tier, sometimes  I just feel the whole map is closed and there's no opening for me to attempt to flank or get a good shot at someone, then, after overthinking, I finally get swarmed.

I also have problems using my AMX50 120, it was so bad, that I had to save a bunch of Free exp to get the top gun. I don't understand at times the concept of supporting with it, if I go to the front lines, in the current meta, heavies like the Japs or Tier X germans are difficult to crack frontally, not to mention I get punished heavily if I make a mistake, if I go to the lights-mediums spots I either get out-ranged, out paced or out-DPM-ed. I'm not complaining about the tank, I'm complaining about my ineptitude, sure I've had a few good matches of 5.7K and 4.7K but, I want consistency, not 50 bad games, 10 good, 1 spectacular. I want 5 bad, 25 decent-average, 21 good. 

To sum it up, right now, I feel at a loss as to how to properly manage situational awareness, tactical positioning as well as strategical maneuvers, how to discover openings and so on. 

Here's my wot labs page~ 

Don't be fooled by my recent performance, I was doing a meager, mediocre 1000-1150 WN8 per day sessions last week, I just decided to think very hard on how to not make so many mistakes this weekend and somehow pushed the numbers a bit. I'm not consistent on my performances and it bothers me.

The most important thing is... I'm interested in WN8, BUT. I'm more interested on knowing how to become a more valuable and pro-efficient players. I want to increase WR by myself, not with Stat padders like Defender, T67 or T71, I want to make things through with good tanks that have good skill learning curves.

http://wotlabs.net/na/player/star_dust

Any questions that you may have about me are welcomed, if you reached this far, thank you so much for reading, may you have good games!.

Well, looking at your stats at face value, I would say nothing is wrong. You seem to be improving perfectly normally (you tend to slow down as you go up in color ratings, which is logical because it gets even harder to squeeze even more out of the tanks and your positioning as opposed to earlier learning which is easier).

However, you came here for advice on getting better, which is fairly easy to provide. Since you're dark green, generally you have a very solid hold of basic mechanics such as spotting, sidescraping, etc. I noticed you also have an unusually low number of games (<10k is relatively new at this point in the game's lifespan). This means you probably don't understand maps and positioning and firing angles. This kind of thing comes with time. Your stats & game count are pretty similar to mine around when I had that number of games. I can definitely say that I needed work on firing angles and spotting locations. Basically, you've mastered the basics, now you're getting into the nitpick territory (albeit, these nitpicks matter) and I can definitely recommend a few things to accelerate this learning.

1. Watch purple streamers. They use firing angles and spotting locations you may not have known were any good and generally teach you more on what positions are important to hold when enemy tanks are in certain positions. I recommend the people on the sidebar on the main page of WoTLabs. I also recommend Zeven even though he's already on the sidebar. He usually will explain his thought process while playing and he is also timely in a response if you ask him a question about what he's doing at the time.

2. This link to a page on microspots. You thought your play couldn't improve more? You thought you knew all the good positions? Think again. This thread is seriously great if you're a "bookwork" kind of person (which I am and enjoy reading wikis for information on things).

3. Do a few unconventional things every so often. Stick your neck out and ask "Did I enter a superior position or did the enemies play poorly while I was in an average/bad position?". This kind of stuff is kinesthetic/action oriented if you're that kind of person.

TL; DR- Stick to your guns and keep chugging. This kind of thing cannot be read in a book or wiki. Improvement at this point comes from playing time and attention to detail (such as minimap awareness on where tanks are relative to a firing position, where to defend or gang up on certain tanks).

When I was at around 8000 battles that's more or less where my performance was. I did lots of reading on wotlabs and watched streamers like Anfield and Sela, I had a rough idea of what I had to do but I struggled to execute it. I eventually found a really good post by Crab that I often mention, it was something along the lines of "examine your games, identify mistakes and work to eliminate them from your gameplay." Probably the biggest similarity between a bad player and a great player is that they both make mistakes, but the difference is the great player makes far less mistakes. I believe that improvement in this game is all about eliminating those mistakes, Crab was absolutely right.

I have a long way to go before I'm satisfied with my gameplay, but that's what keeps me playing, I enjoy the (seemingly never-ending) journey of improvement.

My advice is: read everything by @CraBeatOff and @Kolni. Check out Purple Poaster, Casual Purple, Core Skills & Mechanics, Metagame Discussion, and vehicle specific threads in Vehicles. Aside from learning more about the game, that will make it easier to identify the mistakes you're making.

Good luck sorting through all my T49 sperg posts! The old stuff is good though, credit to @RC_Tank for reading them. And to give credit where its due, the paraphrase above is just me expanding on something CarbonWard told me when I was a little baby tanker - because even 5 years later we're all just trying to chase @CarbonWard right?

Believe me man, you're not the only greeny having trouble in tier 8s when bottom tier.  The two tanks I am grinding through right now (110, T28) both have red/orange  armor models against tier 7-8 tanks.  They both look like green grapes against tier 10s.  Last night in the 110, I bounced 3/4 APCR rounds off of an E5s lower plate while he casually drove into my face and executed me, he probably never put down his coffee.  The tier 8 struggle is real.

12 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

Last night in the 110, I bounced 3/4 APCR rounds off of an E5s lower plate while he casually drove into my face and executed me, he probably never put down his coffee.

Thanks for the laugh...

I'm a better poster on the official forums, I mostly just epeen here anyway :doge: 

My youtube is a much better source for direct analysis on gameplay

2 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

Good luck sorting through all my T49 sperg posts! The old stuff is good though, credit to @RC_Tank for reading them. And to give credit where its due, the paraphrase above is just me expanding on something CarbonWard told me when I was a little baby tanker - because even 5 years later we're all just trying to chase @CarbonWard right?

If only he'd pawn off his EU work to me instead of another chinese :babyrage: 

Thank you all very much for your answers @Sgt. Pepper

Also everyone else !

Right now I'm struggling to learn how to play as a support tank with medium tanks and the heavy AMX50 120, I really like the potential of the tank, I'm also struggling on penning higher tears and reading the map, that is, what to do if for example the enemy team is hulldown and my team is hopelessly trying to fight them, or what if the enemy has a bunch of heavies and I'm only a light tank-medium tank or a Support, what to do if both enemies will engage head on on a combat where I will get wrecked fast if I tag along the huge guys?

The rest is just, needing a bunch of practice on driving and accuracy, the two things I lack the most.

Hopefully I can hear your opinions! thank you a lot! part of becoming better, seems to lie in the mentality!.