Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sgt. Pepper

Looking for carrier help, having trouble with low tier IJN CVs

15 posts in this topic

I'm totally serious, my stats in IJN CVs suck, but more importantly, how do I get better? I've reached the Zuiho and fighting Bogue in general is quite difficult. AS Bogue feels like I'm sticking an electric sander up my ass. I find that the fighters tend to lose, even when sitting over friendly AA. Should I find ships with notably strong AA? I also have trouble dealing damage, but I hear that improves upon reaching tier 6. I usually just wind up flying my planes around, being unable to do anything. I try and watch some of Farazelleth's CV stuff (EU CV guy, also KotS CV player) but I find it hard to do the really cool baiting of strafes and counter-strafes when I can't strafe. Is there anyone who can help me out?

P.S. Playing skycancer is non-negotiable. I want to be good at everything, because the concept of a "main" in an MMO is pretty dumb.

Carrier-play doesn't really begin until tier 6, when you are finally allowed, by the grace of whatever brilliant WG-employee came up with this, to use manual attacks and strafing runs. Until then, all you can do with your fighters is scare already attacking bombers, scout and loose against US fighters, as well as finally being able to sink stupid battleships in one attack instead of missing three fourth of your torpedoes, just because your target is stationary. When you fight T6 carriers in your T5, you're just straight up fucked and the best thing you can hope for is, that they ignore you. *semi-rant*

Strafing runs and manual attacks are your bread and butter and really all you can do and learn at tier 4 and 5 is, how to best scout with your planes and which targets to pick preferably. In general, your main job as a carrier is not to deal damage, but to get eyes onto the enemy team and keep those on them. Especially early on, it's fairly vital to get a general idea of the enemy's deployment and on the enemy's destroyers in particular, so get your fastest planes off the paveway first (fighters). Many players are shit, but even shit players tend to react more rational when they know where the enemy is, which tremendously increases your chances to win the game. Keep your torpedo bombers out of sight until you found a suitable target, always use manual drops or if you are distracted by fighting enemy planes, always use a cross-drop on automated attacks. If you notice your target got a flodding, he will almost always repair it if possible, so keep your dive-bombers at the ready but out of sight as well and send them in once your damage-numbers aren't increasing anymore from the repaired flodding. With dive-bombers it's especially vital to only ever use manual drops and delay an attack if you can not do a manual. As IJN, use your dive-bombers to keep tabs on a target after you dropped your bombs, because they have the tendency to be able to keep up in pace with US fighters after they dropped their bombs, this is especially vital if you used your divers to attack a destroyer. Also, use your fighters agressively, but pay attention to enemy AA-bubbles and only ever fight other people's planes, by baiting them into strafing runs. Remember, that you can exit-strafe a fighter-lock. Although you are sacrificing a single fighter for every exit-strafe, this can be a viable tactic to bait enemy fighters into a given position and then strafe them with a second fighter-squad, especially because the enemy fighters are locked in place for a few seconds, after you did an exit-strafe.

Also, and I can't emphasize this enough, avoid recycling all your planes at the same time. Even if your dive-bombers or fighters are out of ammo, think about keeping them on the field to keep tabs on the enemy's movements and destroyers in particular. Scouting is the absolutly most important thing you can do in a carrier.

I would tell you to wait till WG gets there heads out of their collective asses and do something about CV's. They have been promising a magical rework for more then a year. CV's are in a very bad spot right now (balance is completely out of wack, all premium CV's are better then tech tree ones, tech tree USN CV's might as well not exist). I dont play them simply because i cannot stand the buggy, slow and downright broken UI, plus the fact that WG basically fucked them over by not including them in CW, makes me happy i never even bothered going past tier 6 with CV's

2 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

-snip-

As a whole, I understand the whole scouting thing. Fara's guide on CVs is very good with the whole high tier meta/gameplay. However, he makes very little content on low tier ships (for good reason). I just struggle incredibly against Bogue and have resorted to simply playing the Zuiho in the coop/bot battles out of frustration of playing against AS Bogue.

I think it was Fara who pointed out in a simple caption on one of his videos, that AS Bogues are pure cancer. It's something that WarGaming maneuvered themselves into the very moment they removed the manual attacks and it's poisoning the well in T4 and T5 more than anything else could at the moment (because we totally needed even less carrier players, right Wargaming?). So you are not alone in that perception. There's just no way to outfight an AS Bogue in a Zuiho. One of the few options you have is, to do an early carrier strike, but the viability of that depends entirely on the map and enemy deployment down at that tier, as the maps are simply not big enough to reliably sneak around.

Get to tier 6, play in operations for a while, until you understand manual drops and strafing, then come out into the real world. As for fighters, just try to avoid AS bogue fighters as much as possible. if absolutely necessary, use your fighters as a distraction. If I found an AS bogue, I also disregarded my general rule of "no CV sniping", because it makes it so much more difficult for me.

4 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Get to tier 6, play in operations for a while, until you understand manual drops and strafing, then come out into the real world. As for fighters, just try to avoid AS bogue fighters as much as possible. if absolutely necessary, use your fighters as a distraction. If I found an AS bogue, I also disregarded my general rule of "no CV sniping", because it makes it so much more difficult for me.

Pretty much this, I ground through tiers four and five and part of tier six on both carrier lines playing nothing but Coop mode and learning the basics. Watch and read all the guides you want it won't help anywhere near as much as hands on experience. Once you feel you're ready, probably around tier six or seven, start playing randoms. I just bought both the Midway and the Hakuryu this weekend and I look forward to playing both of them.

This thread taught me to swap to AS loadout on my Bogue... then realized, after winning the battle and getting AS on a Zuiho, that I hadn't bought the upgraded fighters...

AS Bogue IS cancer.

10 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

Watch and read all the guides you want it won't help anywhere near as much as hands on experience.

This is something that is so important, that it should be noted more often. Carrier-play is mostly a question of situational awareness and micromanagement. Both can not be tought, but must be learned the hard way. Both can be helped by choosing the proper viewpoint though. Remember that you can command your planes around both in the primary window, on your minimap and on the (fully zoomed out) overhead map. I found that many Streamers tend to almost purely play from the perspective of the overhead map and only zoom in for strafes and drops. This "technique" can help tremendously with keeping an eye on the overall situation and not loosing yourself in details at the same time.

Play T6 to learn the ropes in an environment that isn't infested with Saipan. T7 is cancer because the Saipan and Kaga exist. T8 is where the CV game gets interesting. 

As others have already said in detail, but tier 6 IJN Ryujo is night and day better compared to her predecessors.

Instead of removing manuals, they should've taught people how to use them. Before they were removed, I went against an AS Bogue and a Hoshou in my Zuihou, and had AS because I knew how to strafe, they didn't. Friendly CV was afk or crashed.

24 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Instead of removing manuals, they should've taught people how to use them. Before they were removed, I went against an AS Bogue and a Hoshou in my Zuihou, and had AS because I knew how to strafe, they didn't. Friendly CV was afk or crashed.

I never understood the logic of taking control away from the player in any videogame. No player wants to be handicapped or otherwise handcuffed from using tools. I get the whole "training wheels" thing, but autodrop is still available even when you get to tier 6. This method of curbing seal clubbing not only handicaps experienced players, but new players as well.

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I never understood the logic of taking control away from the player in any videogame. No player wants to be handicapped or otherwise handcuffed from using tools. I get the whole "training wheels" thing, but autodrop is still available even when you get to tier 6. This method of curbing seal clubbing not only handicaps experienced players, but new players as well.

Don't tell them, I like clubbing the newbies that just got to tier 6

On ‎11‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 5:20 PM, OnboardG1 said:

T8 is where the CV game gets interesting

If you like getting your squad wiped in seconds by an invisible Mino...

CV gameplay is borked up in the extreme and I would advise everyone to wait at tier VI till WG decided about what to do bc whatever happens, it could very well be that you don't like it (given WGs recent love for tomatoes).

Tier VI is actually very nice and an ok Ryuio captain can really wipe the floor with the enemy team if they haven't got too many AA specced NCs or Atlantas.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0