ThomChen114

WoWp 2.0 - worth a gander?

72 posts in this topic

Certainly worth having a second (or third?) look at it, though there are still some kinks that need to be hammered out. For example, the manual flight controls are borderline useless (outside of rolling ahead of an anticipated turn), due to the plane insisting on following the mouse-cursor even when you give manual input. Doing even a clean loop, an Immelman or, heaven forbid, "advanced" aerobatics like a climbing spiral, a simple hammerhead or whatever the defensive inside loop with applied rudder is called (I keep forgetting that one) is impossible, without also hitting the "free-camera"-button.

Well, Jingles fully compensates his inability to recognize tanks/ships/planes/whatever in his videos by having quite good taste when it comes to games. Personally though, I think that I'd rather stick my dick in a bag full of cobras than play more than one wargaming product, it's just too much of a work.

@Haswell Obviously this was done to prevent servers overloading from simply counting the returning wowp players. Great succes, comrade!

13 minutes ago, Haswell said:

In an unannounced move, WG has disabled the API from returning the online player count.
https://api.worldoftanks.com/wgn/servers/info/?application_id=demo&fields=players_online%2C+server&game=wowp&language=en

How am I supposed to interpret this?

Is it just that param or all API calls for WOWP?

1 minute ago, orzel286 said:

@Haswell Obviously this was done to prevent servers overloading from simply counting the returning wowp players. Great succes, comrade!

I'm pretty sure even WG servers can count to 3.

I will try it out I guess, can't hurt to do so now with dem fast internet speeds. :doge:

Definitely worth a gander, whether it's worth actually playing beyond said gander is entirely subjective.

It has shared gold and premium time with tonks though (not sure on free xp), so could be some potential to switch back and forth doing missions that give gold or prem time to help sustain a pixel tonking career.

I must say I actually quite enjoyed what I've seen so far, the combat feels really easy now, I had a blast, first game I achieved 10+ kills(actual players). SeemsGood will play it more in the coming days sadly my work schedule this week doesn't allow me for anything but sleep and pc for like 2 hours :serb:

How/why is it better then War thunder? 

(I was lucky enough to be on WT before the first economy changes so i smashed out T4 [rank 15ish back then] planes, so how does the grind compare?)

48 minutes ago, Politx_Killer said:

(I was lucky enough to be on WT before the first economy changes so i smashed out T4 [rank 15ish back then] planes, so how does the grind compare?)

it's an arcade game. easier to pick up and play, supposedly, without having to worry about such trivial things like fuel or ammunition.

4 hours ago, Politx_Killer said:

Look at it like WoT tanks vs WT tanks, one is an arcade game while the other has more realism. I do like the arcade aspect of WoWP, it's hard to believe but I actually think they did a good job.

Downloaded last night, I'll have to dust off my joy stick and give her a whirl

14 hours ago, Cronk said:

(not sure on free xp

It also shares free exp.

I installed it and played like 10 games - lost my first 6 in a row but did well in most of them and received more exp than half of the winning temamembers?! Winning/loosing doesn't seem to be that big of a factor for exp as in WoT/WoWS.

It's good fun but it seems a bit on the shallow side with no spotting mechanics, no angling/armor and almost no positioning. Flying a plane is VERY easy but also quite limited. There seems no way a pro will be able to fly a tighter turn than a newb.

Ultimately I will probably play it now and again for the silly lightweight fun but my desire to grind anything there is pretty limited while in WoWS I am only 80k away from Hindenburg and can't wait.

2 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

Ultimately I will probably play it now and again for the silly lightweight fun but my desire to grind anything there is pretty limited while in WoWS I am only 80k away from Hindenburg and can't wait.

The Hindenburg is amazing. You will be pleased!

3 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

It's good fun but it seems a bit on the shallow side with no spotting mechanics, no angling/armor and almost no positioning. Flying a plane is VERY easy but also quite limited. There seems no way a pro will be able to fly a tighter turn than a newb.

I dunno if it's the same a before but once you hit t5 boom and zoom and keeping energy up becomes pretty important in dog fights

15 hours ago, Siimcy said:

Look at it like WoT tanks vs WT tanks, one is an arcade game while the other has more realism. I do like the arcade aspect of WoWP, it's hard to believe but I actually think they did a good job.

Ah thanks. I did beta test wowp way back when and wasnt really impressed (i know its changed a hell of a lot)

Keyboard/mouse vs stick?

I think the best part of this is the salt from the people who somehow liked the game before talking about how they dumbed down the game.

EDIT: so apparently I'm really good at getting top points on losses because nobody on my teams can cap the points.  IMO the point gain from objectives needs to be toned back a bit.

Edited by Tedster59

3 hours ago, Tedster59 said:

I think the best part of this is the salt from the people who somehow liked the game before talking about how they dumbed down the game.

I'll be absolutely honest: the controls now are so dumbed down there is absolutely no need to pay attention to your airspeed and altitude, or perform any sort of deliberate maneuvers at all. Gameplay right now is literally aim at enemy, get in range, pull trigger until enemy is dead. Aerial agility means jack shit since everything turns on a dime including heavy fighters. HP attrition and firepower is the meta now, meaning there's little point in flying anything other than heavies since they are the only class that can both BnZ and turnfight with high frontal firepower and health pool.

Of course, it was heavy fighter meta before already, so nothing new here.

If anything I appreciated the old controls much more, since I actually had independent control of the axes and can deliberately control my orientation. Now, the plane autocenters and can't yaw without rolling all over the place. It's now impossible to fly upside down and keep it that way, not that it matters much since everything has kite-like agility.

They removed the online player counter, which is pretty sad if you interpret that as the devs not having confidence in their product.

Good consumables and ammo cost gold and cannot be bought with credits, a la pay2win old tanks.

Gameplay is boring as hell. Altitude bands still exist but a) pubbies haven't figured that out yet and b) bots are dumb and will not fly higher than their optimal altitudes. Game is good as a braindead shooter like CoD, but if you're looking for something with more depth you should go somewhere else.

Oh, and bots fly better than actual players since they can aim and shoot at you properly.