ThomChen114

WoWp 2.0 - worth a gander?

72 posts in this topic

This is what happens when you create and balance a game mode for 15v15 but can't find enough players for even a 3v3.

Why do you think they reduced the platoon size from 3 to 2? There are multiple reasons, all of them related to population.

Played 50 battles and at 60% WR right now so I may be doing something right compared to others, which I think is picking planes that can at least go high enough to kill the heavy fighter defence bots and focussing on taking and then stubbornly holding the correct cap point for the whole game. I die often enough that my respawn can reach 45 seconds but unless it's a complete steamroll I always get around 8-10k+ points, heavies are what kills me the most followed by simply being outnumbered with no wingman to clear my tail since autoaim makes it hard to shake enemies for long.

Observations are that US Navy line seems a bit weak but usable tier 6 the cannons do good damage but overheat so fast, heavy fighters are god tier and interceptors S tier, low altitude turn fighters are F tier if you want to do more than farm noobs who turnfight in BF110s at 600m.

Remember to kill yourself right before the squall line (what a stupid name) stops you from respawning so you can get a fresh plane with full health for the rest of the match.

16 minutes ago, RGM79GM said:

Observations are that US Navy line seems a bit weak

Funny thing is that Corsairs used to be extremely competitive because they had extremely long boosts compared to other single-engine planes, cannons for long range damage (compared to MGs), can mount bombs and rockets for impromptu GA, above average health pool, only a bit less agile than 109s with comparable speeds to heavies when boosting.

All that changed when strict altitude bands became a thing. They are bad now, just not as bad as Japs.

1 hour ago, Haswell said:

This is what happens when you create and balance a game mode for 15v15 but can't find enough players for even a 3v3.

Why do you think they reduced the platoon size from 3 to 2? There are multiple reasons, all of them related to population.

I know my problems is not that there are bots, my problems is that WG tried to "hide" them.

Well yeah, would you want to play the game if all you see are bot_RANDOMNUMBERS? Because that's exactly how it was before the gave them names.

In fact, if I drop my clan tags I can probably masquerade as a bot, my name is inconspicuous enough.

4 minutes ago, Haswell said:

Well yeah, would you want to play the game if all you see are bot_RANDOMNUMBERS? Because that's exactly how it was before the gave them names.

In fact, if I drop my clan tags I can probably masquerade as a bot, my name is inconspicuous enough.

I, personally, rather have that.

Remember to kill yourself right before the squall line (what a stupid name) stops you from respawning so you can get a fresh plane with full health for the rest of the match.

Funny thing is that Corsairs used to be extremely competitive because they had extremely long boosts compared to other single-engine planes, cannons for long range damage (compared to MGs), can mount bombs and rockets for impromptu GA, above average health pool, only a bit less agile than 109s with comparable speeds to heavies when boosting.

All that changed when strict altitude bands became a thing. They are bad now, just not as bad as Japs.

I fail a lot at the suicide before squall line, so hard to carry when you're down to 50hp in the last 2 minutes in a close game because some bot beaufighter got on your arse for 4 seconds, they should remove it I think it feels like serves no real purpose that can't be done by tuning point gain from caps. I'm getting off corsair line at tier 7 to go for F7F because it has a long boost but that's not good for much when it only has 1200m optimum alt with so so manoeuvring. 

3 hours ago, Haswell said:

What now?

31 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

What now?

Make sure you respawn before you can not respawn anymore (the squall line). You do not want to fight the last meters with a plane that has damaged components and is left on so low health, that someone coughing at you kills you.

1 hour ago, Madner Kami said:

Make sure you respawn before you can not respawn anymore (the squall line). You do not want to fight the last meters with a plane that has damaged components and is left on so low health, that someone coughing at you kills you.

You know something is wrong when the mechanics so blatantly encourage poor play. There are no downsides or penalties to terrible shooting, flying or dying.

You know something is wrong when the mechanics so blatantly encourage poor play. There are no downsides or penalties to terrible shooting, flying or dying.

Yeah, i mean the reason that some of us find this entertaining is 2 fold, the hatred of flight games, and the fact that WoWPs was such shit that almost anything can be/will be/is better (at least for the majority).

Played it a bit again yesterday. Well, way more than I'd wanted.
Tier IV was mostly human players (there's a guy on EU that  has chosen "Murazor" as his nickname.  lel.)

I'm having fun with those low tier planes, I've no real urge to research anything (don't have free hangar slots) Which isn't exactly good for the game :P

Anyway, I find almost mindlessly budabudabduabudabudabudabudabudaing things fun, and at worst, I'm getting free XP for wot (my reserves kind of were devastated by the foch rush)

12 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Er....I guess this explains why I suddenly couldn't respawn anymore. The mechanic behind this doesn't seem very clear though? How do I see where the squall line is? Does it move? Is there stormy weather near it?

Im skeptical. I was high tier Germans. Before account sale way back when.

I mean sure, it looks pretty but im spoiled by WT high tier dog fighting (Or boom N zoom if you know what i mean). 

This feels like a mobile game. And not in the good way. 

4 hours ago, Sidus_Preclarum said:

Played it a bit again yesterday.

Is your WoWP name the same and did you play at around tier II? If yes I killed you at least once.

I like it so far it's a lot less stressful than WoT even when I get stomped by my bots derping out or the other humans being not so hot because I get to play practically the entire match often. Decided against unlocking the tier 7 US Navy fighter and got the tier 7 heavy fighter instead not used it yet but it seems promising from fighting them in a Meteor.

Game is accessible and easy to play, but not sure about long term enjoyment or viability. Checkout out the warplane forums briefly and found lots of complaining about bot "AI" and AA being too strong. But having mostly derped around at tier 1 and 2 I haven't noticed, maybe it gets worse as you go up.

I agree with RGM, I find it far more relaxing and less stressful to play than tanks for some reason. Go in with low expectations and you might just enjoy it, otherwise you should probably go play WT if you want a more "authentic" experience.

I'd say literally the only reason to play this over WT is the shared accounts with WoT.

Bombers late night are quite relaxing dunno if that will change when get experienced to their shenanigans but so for the tier 3 one is easy peasy credits and xp just meandering around bombing stuff at 3k metres, it's a braindead class like arty but it doesn't feel dirty since it doesn't ruin other players matches.

I want to like it but I just find it frustrating to play due to the lack of any kind of tutorial or solo missions.  I have no idea how to fly a plane or why my team wins or loses or how to react to planes attacking me.  Otherwise, it's great.  :)

20 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

Is your WoWP name the same and did you play at around tier II? If yes I killed you at least once.

Possible that I played my chinese multirole free premium whatever the name is.

13 hours ago, Cronk said:

I'd say literally the only reason to play this over WT is the shared accounts with WoT.

Or you got banned from WT for account sharing like me ;-)