ThomChen114

WoWp 2.0 - worth a gander?

118 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Fedaykin89 said:

Question for veterans: I recall that some time ago, in a patch, they increased the difference in accuracy when shooting down on a target (diving in on them), when you'd get an accuracy bonus, vs shooting after a climbing target, when you'd get an accuracy penalty - is that mechanic still in the game?

Yes. It's not as noticeable as before now, but they also added crew skills that BUFF critical damage and shit when you shoot at things in a dive.

Also, I'd like to understand the differences in flying a Zero vs a Spitfire... I understand that the Zero turns faster but should I also be doing a bit of climbing turns in the Spitfire?

Depends on the engagement, but it's never a bad thing to practice. You're probably describing yo-yo's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers#High_Yo-Yo

Honestly everything turns on a dime these days you don't have to worry about your maneuvers anymore so much.

Speaking of turning, now that they've re-added manual control of the flaps - should I be extending them when turning or should I just rely on slowing down for tighter turns?

Depends on the plane and engagement, keep in mind some planes lose more airspeed with flaps extended than others but it's possible to compensate with good throttle control. While flaps will universally make your turns tighter, planes like the FW series or heavies will just never be able to out-turn anything, making flaps more of a big airbrake than a "turn tighter" button. Still wouldn't hurt to use flaps though, if you want that extra burst of agility extend flaps and kill throttle.

I just realized I haven't played the game in weeks now. Guess the launch hype already wore off for me.

4 minutes ago, Haswell said:

Honestly everything turns on a dime these days you don't have to worry about your maneuvers anymore so much.

Well, I had a nasty surprise finding a Yak managing to out-turn me in my A6M2, so since then I've been quite wary of them.

I was asking about flaps because I want to understand how I can make my turns as sharp as possible, I've found that in the P36 for instance they just drag the plane a lot, instead of helping the turn speed

2 hours ago, Fedaykin89 said:

I was asking about flaps because I want to understand how I can make my turns as sharp as possible, I've found that in the P36 for instance they just drag the plane a lot, instead of helping the turn speed

Watch your airspeed, try to stay inside your optimal envelope. That's why your finger should be on W/S all the time, feather your throttle. Also feather your flaps, if you find yourself bleeding too much speed let go for a bit.

Back in beta, the J4M1 had an incredibly tight envelope between 650-700km/h, anywhere outside of that you turn like a brick. J7 series had something similar 650-750km/h IIRC. Overly demanding, but fun in its own way.

Might be better set flap-button keybind so that flaps only stay lowered when button is kept pressed, there is option for that in same place as where keybind is set.

3 hours ago, sahtila said:

Might be better set flap-button keybind so that flaps only stay lowered when button is kept pressed, there is option for that in same place as where keybind is set.

A hold/release system will allow much faster reaction time than a toggle, always. Every millisecond counts.

20 hours ago, canadiantrex said:

What happened to the aim lead indicator?

You don't really need it

19 hours ago, Hellsfog said:

How is it with a keyboard and mouse? I know I am a heretic.

Just fine actually. I play with M&K. IIRC there are actually some aiming tricks that you can only pull off with M&K. @Haswell Correct or am I misremembering?

6 hours ago, OOPMan said:

IIRC there are actually some aiming tricks that you can only pull off with M&K. @Haswell Correct or am I misremembering?

I haven't tried using a gamepad or joystick yet in 2.0, can't comment on their limitations.

I kinda wish I could use a Wii controller to play this game, mainly because this game feels a lot like Blazing Angels (for the Wii) did.

3 hours ago, Tedster59 said:

I kinda wish I could use a Wii controller to play this game, mainly because this game feels a lot like Blazing Angels (for the Wii) did.

Are you talking using it like a joystick or as a pointer device? I've used wiimotes for both before while programming, there are good libraries and programs for converting the gyro input to something usable.

16 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Are you talking using it like a joystick or as a pointer device? I've used wiimotes for both before while programming, there are good libraries and programs for converting the gyro input to something usable.

Blazing Angels used it kinda like a steering wheel (held horizontally, think mario kart style) in one configuration.  Bank the controller to turn left/right, lift it up or lower it to change pitch.

Having fun and even some success so far playing mostly like a mindless idiot, but then again, max lvl have are 2 tier V planes, at what tier do I need to start to actually study maneuvres and shit?

*edit* also, weapons groups not working for anyone else ? :/

On 16/11/2017 at 6:34 AM, Tedster59 said:

Blazing Angels used it kinda like a steering wheel (held horizontally, think mario kart style) in one configuration.  Bank the controller to turn left/right, lift it up or lower it to change pitch.

Neat

On 30/10/2017 at 11:28 AM, Sidus_Preclarum said:

Haha, yes. I have that soviet tier IV (the IL 2 proto) : bases get captured before I can even reach them. Then, I can't fight red planes and don't even have a rear gunner :drunk:

Oh, yeah, the BSh2? It also works decently enough as a fighter hunter, although the lack of a tail-gunner is annoying. Still, the weapony is 

30 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Neat

Oh, yeah, the BSh2? It also works decently enough as a fighter hunter, although the lack of a tail-gunner is annoying. Still, the weapony is 

Is ... ?

It's only last night that I realized that a limiting factor for me was leaving the leveling-off of the airplane to 100%, which only now did I realize how much it affected my turns, tight maneuvers, directing the stream of fire and so on.

From the moment I dropped it to 0% and I was now fully in charge of my plane's roll angles, my performance had a significant increase, since i was already subconsciously feathering it during turns, dives etc anyhow but before the game was more or less working against me.

Hell, I even managed to pull off a last-second win in the Tier 3 soviet premium plane (I-15e or something, the one with the rocket afterburner thingies) by taking out the last enemy aircraft when the score was something like 650-790, with 18 aerial kills and 90k credits income.

Not to mention that my A6M2 now actually feels as lethal as it should be.

Feels good man!

10 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Is ... ?

Woops, man interrupted :-)

I was probably going to say something like the weaponry is powerful enough to make short work of most of the fighters you face.