Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmurfReroll

WoWP: Do Boelcke's Laws Apply?

6 posts in this topic

Do you guys think that Boelcke's Laws and other aerial combat tactics apply in World of Warplanes? I've played 25 games now, mostly in fighters, but also some in heavy fighters and attack aircraft and the general impression I'm getting is that it's a lot less involved than even Warthunder AB. The main things I'm noticing are:

• Energy advantages are fairly useless. If your opponent has the situational awareness to react quickly, it's really hard to outclimb them or escape because of the boosting mechanics; you can start off at low altitude and low speed and keep up with a diving opponent for a few seconds because your boost literally gives you a temporary jet engine. 
  • There's no point in "keeping the sun behind you." Warthunder models glare pretty strongly. WoWP is a pretty mildly coloured game. 
  • Situational awareness is hard. Like, incredibly hard. I said earlier that good situational awareness lets you negate energy advantages, but it's hard to keep track of opponents when there's more than 2. They made the interface more clean and have less elements to it, but they also pretty much did away with any assistance for awareness. The direction markers are small and inconspicuous, enemy tracers are literally impossible to spot and if there is a hit direction indicator, I'm not noticing it. I've been dived on or caught off-guard many times where I simply couldn't locate the attacker in time to react accordingly and bled a lot of HP for it. 
  • Attack aircraft are frustrating as all hell. Warthunder's IL-2s are literally invincible. WoWP's are flimsy af. The extra health does not go a long way towards protecting you, especially when your tail gunner does so little back and you can't help yourself. 

Anyway, those are my impressions, but despite that, I've been having a surprising amount of fun playing the game and genuinely hope that the population can go up to a point where I feel that it's worth it to keep playing. 

3 hours ago, SmurfReroll said:

• Energy advantages are fairly useless. If your opponent has the situational awareness to react quickly, it's really hard to outclimb them or escape because of the boosting mechanics; you can start off at low altitude and low speed and keep up with a diving opponent for a few seconds because your boost literally gives you a temporary jet engine. 

Fly a heavy, or anything with high optimal altitudes, because altitude bands are still a thing. Always BnZ.

There's no point in "keeping the sun behind you." Warthunder models glare pretty strongly. WoWP is a pretty mildly coloured game. 

Surprise doesn't work here when you have a map showing you the location of everything. Bots (which fly better than humans) can also spot and reveal your position.

Situational awareness is hard. Like, incredibly hard. I said earlier that good situational awareness lets you negate energy advantages, but it's hard to keep track of opponents when there's more than 2. They made the interface more clean and have less elements to it, but they also pretty much did away with any assistance for awareness. The direction markers are small and inconspicuous, enemy tracers are literally impossible to spot and if there is a hit direction indicator, I'm not noticing it. I've been dived on or caught off-guard many times where I simply couldn't locate the attacker in time to react accordingly and bled a lot of HP for it. 

Free camera. Love it, embrace it, get into a habit of spending more time in free camera mode than not. Only spend time out of it when you're actively maneuvering or aiming, and even then you can sneak in quick scans in the middle of maneuvers.

Attack aircraft are frustrating as all hell. Warthunder's IL-2s are literally invincible. WoWP's are flimsy af. The extra health does not go a long way towards protecting you, especially when your tail gunner does so little back and you can't help yourself. 

There's no point in flying GA. High health pool and going for ground targets will not save you from your innate inability to fly high enough to engage other planes.

Anyway, those are my impressions, but despite that, I've been having a surprising amount of fun playing the game and genuinely hope that the population can go up to a point where I feel that it's worth it to keep playing.

The game is "fun" up until you realize how shallow it is. It's not an arcade flight game; it's a twitch shooter with 720 degrees of movement. There is no endgame, no competitive component, not enough player population. Closest comparison I can think of right now is CS with bots, and everyone knows how boring it gets to play against predictable bots.

Then again, bots objectively fly and shoot better than actual humans. Telling people they are beneath a bot is no longer an attack but rather an objective truth.

Yeah those bots seem to have incredible accuracy, heavy fighter bots are downright deadly if they get on you which makes zeroes and the like shit as they're rendered helpless to help take a cap vs heavy fighter bots up at 2000m. I'm wondering if they intend to phase out GA or something with the introduction of bomber lines coming mentioned in the devblog.

Bombers are pointless because they have little to no anti-air capabilities and are effectively useless after you run out of bombs. The only advantages they have are big health pools and the ability to fly high, though not even high enough to avoid heavy fighters and whatnot.

Pointless. Utterly pointless. At least GA planes have guns that let them shoot at other planes at low altitude, and they don't become useless after dropping bombs/rockets.

Besides all the mechanics aspects of the game which have been mentioned, I find the multi-zone domination approach really difficult. Imagine double-zone capping in WOT random battles. That's what this feels like.

I.e., you work as hard as you can, but it doesn't matter because the rest of your team has completely ignored the other objectives and so there's nothing you can do to carry. IMHO multi-zone should not exist outside of organized play. Maybe ships is a different thing, but they're less mobile, so I think it's a little bit different there.

1 minute ago, Daerlon said:

Besides all the mechanics aspects of the game which have been mentioned, I find the multi-zone domination approach really difficult. Imagine double-zone capping in WOT random battles. That's what this feels like.

I.e., you work as hard as you can, but it doesn't matter because the rest of your team has completely ignored the other objectives and so there's nothing you can do to carry. IMHO multi-zone should not exist outside of organized play. Maybe ships is a different thing, but they're less mobile, so I think it's a little bit different there.

You have to realize they designed the game mode for full teams of actual humans, not teams of bots.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0